GemPet SmartFeeder allows you to program and control the automatic feeder anytime from anywhere with your SmartPhone. You need to download the free SmartFeeder App which is compatible with Apple iOS, Androids and tablets.
GemPet SmartFeeder works even if disconnected from Wi-Fi, it will switch the setting to “Offline Feeding Model” to dispense the food according to the programmed schedule.
The unit dispenses a minimum of 30 grams and up to 100 grams per serving. The App allows you to monitor the amount of food served each time.
The feeder features a real-time camera so you can watch and talk to your pet anytime from anywhere. The 1 megapixel camera records your pet’s activity in daylight.
- SmartFeeder App allows you to: Real-time talkback, take photos and videos in real time, feed your pet anytime remotely, program a feeding schedule that will repeat automatically, select meal portions, receive notifications, record a personal message calling your pet to eat (up to 10 seconds), monitor your pet’s feeding activity.
- Operating systems: Requires iOS 7 or above. Compatible with iPhone, iPad / Android: 4.0 or later.
- Each meal size can be set from 1-10 portions (1 portion=24 ml, approx. 2 tbsp)
- Dispenses up to 4 times a day
- Share your pet’s snapshots on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and Google+
- Supports up to 32GB memory card (not included).
- Camera: 1 Megapixels, view angle 120°
- Power source: AC/DC adapter, 5V/2A voltage (included) or 3 D size alkaline batteries (not included)
- Rated Voltage: 110-240V
- Easy to clean with removable food tray and food hopper
- Strong Magnetic lock on top lid to prevent cats from opening the feeder
- High quality motor with self protection
- Blue backlight on LCD display
- Low battery indicator
- Dimensions: 9.8”L x 7.5”W x 15”H (with tray collapsed)
- Dimensions: 9.8”L x 11.8”W x 15”H (with tray opened)
- Tray length: 4.3 “
- Hopper capacity: 4.3L (approx. 4 lbs dry food)
- Weight: 4.7 lbs
- Material: food grade ABS plastic
WHAT COMES WITH THE UNIT:
1 x GemPet SmartFeeder
1x Power Adapter
1 x User’s Manual
HOW IT WORKS
At the bottom of the hopper there is a small piece that rotates moving the kibble towards a tray that is divided in small slots located at the bottom of the food container. This small tray rotates as well dropping the kibble towards the chute.
The feeder connects to the home Wi-Fi network and can be controlled through the free-download SmartFeeder App.
The feeder features off line feedings in case you lose the internet connection. These off lines feedings are dispensed according to the programmed automatic feeding schedule.
Check a video how the unit works here.
The programming and App
You can program the feeder to dispense an automatic feeding schedule up to 4 meals a day that will repeat every day automatically or you can trigger manual feedings through the App.
Each meal size can be customized from approx. 2 tablespoons up to one cup of dry food at a time. To program the meal size you need to select from 1 to 10 portions for each meal, being 1 portion equal to 2 full tablespoons. If you want to skip a feeding simply slide the bar “enable/disable” on the App.
Once you push the option video on the App main menu you will see the camera features: “Gallery” that stores the pictures taken, “Listening” when you want to listen your pet, “Fold” to play videos, “Snapshot” to take pictures of your pet, “Speak” to talk to your pet, “Video” to record your pet.
You can also check your pet feeding activity through a chart that shows your pet’s daily food intake.
Additionally, there is a sensor inside the unit that stops the automatic feeding once the feeder has dispensed over 13 portions in the food tray.
- Free downloadable app
- Ability to customize meal sizes and dispensing times
- If the feeder jams you will receive a notification on your SmartPhone
- Good accuracy on portions
- Good quality of video (no lagging / low speed on App)
- You get notified when the hopper is low in food
- Good quality of speaker / audio
- You can change time zone
- It keeps dispensing even if your internet connection drops
- It can be plugged or powered with batteries
- Notification when food is low
- A feeding chart on the App allows you to monitor how much your cat eats
- You can turn off the feeder without losing the programming
- It can’t be programmed to dispense tiny amounts of foods in between meals (less than 2 full tablespoons)
- Video call is unidirectional (you can’t talk to your pet and listen to your pet at the same time)
- Camera doesn’t feature night vision
- Power button ON/OFF located at the bottom of the feeder
- The feeder doesn’t work well with big irregular shaped kibble
- If you feed a big meal the chute may get blocked by piled up kibble close to the chute
- It may be tricky to connect the Smartphone to the App
GemPet SmartFeeder has another commercial name, PetWant Smartfeeder PF-103, but it’s the same feeder with the same features.
The feeder works as advertised in the sense that it dispenses food at the programmed feeding schedules and it can be controlled through the SmartFeeder App. Some points to mention about this unit:
- The SmartPhone connection to the App could be tricky.
- If using medium size round kibble the accuracy is better. The ideal kibble diameter is between 0.75~1.5cm
- GemPet SmartFeeder is suitable for a single cat that is not too obsessed with food.
- The quality of signal probably will depend on where you are watching your pet from.
√ GemPet SmartFeeder is suitable for:
- People using SmartPhones with iOS 7.0 or above or Android 4.0 or later
- Feeding a single cat not too obsessed with food
- Using with medium sized rounded kibble
x The unit may not be suitable:
- If you feed your cat very small or very big irregular shaped kibble
- If your cat likes to tip things over