I am a fan of the “Robot” Autopets brand products, I own an automatic Robot litter box Connect for my cat Sophie and I really wanted to purchase the new Feeder Robot to check if its quality was as good as the auto cat box product. So I got this unit and I have been feeding my cat with this automatic feeder for weeks now. I waited enough time to make a comprehensive review for you to know exactly how this device works.
What comes in the box
- Feeder robot unit (with hopper insert, standard plastic bowl, backup battery)
- 1 x Plastic food tray
- 1x Stainless Steel food tray
- AC adapter
- Quick guide
- Return Instructions
- User manual
My first impression
The first thing I noticed is that the Feeder-Robot is quite large, it would be perfect for multi-cat households and dogs. The material of which is made looks of high quality. The unit looks really nice and solid. I would say this automatic feeder is made to last, made in the USA.
Check my unpacking & review video:
Dimensions & Weight
Fully assembled: 15” H x 13” W x 12.5” D
Footprint: 9” W x 11.25” D
Floor to top of the bowl: 2.75″ Height
Food bowl: 7.25” W x 7.25” D.
Weight: 9 lbs.
How the Feeder Robot works
The Feeder-Robot can be programmed 2 ways: Manually, using the panel, or programming on your phone, using the Autopets App. If you program the feeder manually you can feed your cat 1 to 4 meals per day with portions from ¼ cup to 1 cup of food at a time, for a total of ¼ to 4 cups dispensed per day. If you program the feeder using the Autopets App you have more options. You can program the feeder to dispense from 1 to 8 meals per day, with portions from ¼ cup to 1 cup of food at a time, for a total of ¼ cup to 8 cups dispensed per day. Additionally, with the App, you can program several different feeding schedules and enjoy highly customizable programming schedules.
Suitable Kibble size
Up to 5/8” or less. Most cat foods are of small size so you won’t have a problem.
Anti-Jam & Cat-Proof
The Feeder-Robot features a piece inside the hopper with flexible flaps that rotates to dispense the kibble. This helps to prevent the food from jamming inside the hopper. Also, this unit has a well-designed food chute that makes it virtually impossible for a cat to steal food using its paws. Due to its well-thought-out designed food gate, this feeder belongs to the list of cat-proof automatic feeders. Also, the ramp allows the food to drop closer to the cat instead of getting stuck in the food chute area, piling up. The bowl also has a slightly tilted shape that together with the food ramp allows the food to get to where it’s supposed to be, on the cat’s side of the bowl.
Watch my cat Sophie eating from the Feeder Robot
Special Feeder-Robot Functions & Features
- Gravity: The feeder features a special function called “Gravity” that you enable using the panel, or through the App. By enabling the Gravity function the feeder will check the bowl every 6 hours and top it off automatically. This function is good for free-feeding multi-cat or dog households since it keeps the bowl full at all times.
- Manual Feed: There’s also feed your cat anytime you can by pressing the button of manual feed or tapping this option on your phone.
- Status indicator light: On top of the feeder there’s a round light that shows solid blue in case the feeder is in active mode, solid yellow in case the hopper is low in food, with 20% of food capacity remaining, solid red if the level of food is critically low, less than 5% of food capacity remaining. The light is flashing red when the food is jammed and solid purple in case the feeder’s been full for over 12 hours, which means the food has not been consumed.
- Battery backup: In case of a power outage the Feeder-Robot will keep operating in power-saving mode up to 24 hours. Once the power is restored the feeder will switch back to household power and the feeder will recharge the internal battery.
Learn more features about this feeder by visiting the Feeder Robot official link.
How to set up the Feeder-Robot
First, you need to wipe clean or wash the feeding trays and the hopper insert. You can choose to use the plastic tray or stainless steel tray that comes with it. Plug the unit and turn on the feeder. Make sure to plug the unit before pouring food into the feeder, because the plug input is located on the bottom of it. Once you have the feeder plugged you can bind the unit to the Wi-Fi.
Steps to Onboard the Feeder
1. Turn the feeder on pressing the Power button
2. Download the Autopets App
3. Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone.
4. Press and hold the Connect button for 3 seconds (the Wi-Fi icon) to punt the feeder into onboarding mode. A yellow blinking light above the Connect button should appear.
5. Follow the instructions of the App and scan the QR code on the back of the feeder as directed.
6. Once the feeder gets successfully connected to Wi-Fi the light above the Connect button will show a solid blue.
Check my video on how to onboard the feeder
Programming the Feeder-Robot using the App
With the Autopets App, you can program one or multiple feeding schedules and each feeding schedule can have 2, 3, or more meals, up to 8. Each time you create a feeding schedule you name it (example, “Weekends Diet”) and then you add meals under that schedule. Each meal also has a name (for example, breakfast, lunch, dinner). The feeding schedules can be paused, deleted, etc. Each meal can be customized to any day of the week to be dispensed, and at what time, the possibilities are endless.
Check my video on how to program a feeding schedule
How to clean it
For a deep clean, use mild soap and hand-wash all removable parts (Food bowl, hopper, hopper insert, hopper lid, dispenser, dispenser flap). For a quick clean simply wash the feeding bowl, and the hopper insert.
What I like about the Feeder Robot
- Solid unit, nicely designed.
- Large capacity of 25 cups, ideal for multi-pet households (if you use small kibble you can increase the feeder capacity up to 30/32 cups by removing the hopper insert).
- Wi-Fi-powered, very easy to program using the App
- The feeding schedules are highly customizable.
- Accuracy in portions
- Food level indicator you can see at glance.
- All parts that are in contact with food are BPA-free FDA food-safe plastic.
- Food tray made of high-quality stainless steel
- The feeder can be programmed/used manually or using the App
- Battery backup ensures 24-hour operation in case of a power outage.
- Food chute design avoids food theft
- Food ramp and tilted shaped bowl distribute the food where the cat eats instead of piling up on the food chute area.
- Nylon-braided, chew-resistant power cord
- Lockout control panel to protect the settings from accidental changes.
- If you have the Litter-Robot you can use the same App for both devices.
- It comes in two colors: Black and white. Hopper color options: Smoke and Clear.
- Made in the USA.
What I am not a fan of
- The minimum portion is ¼ cup. It could be a tablespoon.
After reviewing and using this feeder for my cat for weeks, I confirm that the Robot products are really well designed and the Feeder-Robot is not the exception. This automatic feeder is made with high standards not only in the quality and safety of the materials but every detail has been made thinking about the common problems in other cat feeders, such as food theft, food jamming, and inaccuracy in the portions. A great feature is that you have endless options to customize your feeding schedule, for example, for the weekdays, another schedule for weekends, etc., and keep them all saved and enable them as you need.
If you have a single cat you have to program this feeder with a 2-meals per day feeding schedule. According to vet guidelines, a healthy food intake for a single feline is ½ cup per day.
My bottom line
I recommend the Feeder-Robot as a very reliable, high quality, and accurate feeder. I especially recommend it for households with multiple cats that need a very reliable unit that will work no matter what.
I can come to this verdict because I did an experiment with my cat Sophie setting up 3 automatic feeders for her, all located in the same room. Every time she preferred going to eat from the Feeder-Robot. After that, I removed the rest and kept this winner. Get your Feeder Robot by visiting this link.