LOOKING FOR THE BEST LITTER BOX ON THE MARKET?
Here you will find the top performers on a side by side comparison, with in-depth reviews describing the pros and cons of each unit. That’s correct, I don’t hide anything. Following, I will show you the top winner and why this machine is recognized by people as the best on the market.
To be able to get the best automatic litter box in the market is a big deal since they are a great help on the task of scooping your cat’s litter box daily.
√ IF YOU ALREADY WANT TO SEE THE BEST OPTIONS, HERE THE 3 HIGHEST RATED AUTOMATIC LITTER BOXES:
|LITTER ROBOT III OPEN AIR||LITTER ROBOT II BUBBLE||SCOOPFREE ULTRA|
|Find the Lowest Price||Find the Lowest Price||Find the Lowest Price|
|It works with a rotating sifting mechanism||It works with a rotating sifting mechanism||It works with an automatic rake|
|Best odor control||Good odor control||Good urine odor control|
|It works with clumping litter||It works with clumping litter||It works with blue crystals|
|For cats up to 20 lbs approx.||For cats up to 14 lbs approx.||For cats up to 12 lbs approx.|
|Suitable for up to 4 cats||Suitable for up to 3 cats||Up to 2 cats. Ideally one cat|
|Full waste drawer indicator||Globe wider than LRII Classic||It doesn't take much space|
|Battery backup option||Skylight bubble on the Globe||Convenient disposal system|
|Go to Review||Go to Review||Go to Review|
Do you need to see more alternatives? no worries! here you have the full comparison between the top 8:
BEST SELF CLEANING LITTER BOX COMPARISON 2016
|Litter Robot III Open-Air – Full Review
||Litter Robot II Bubble Unit – Full Review
||ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box – Full Review
||CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box – Full Review
||Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box – Full Review
||LitterMaid Multi-Cat Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box Review
||Littermaid LM580 Classic – Full Review
||PetSafe Simply Clean Continuous-Clean Litter Box – Full Review
|STARS RATING *|
|% Satisf. (3)||92%||84%||66%||64%||51%||48%||48%||50%|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.2″ x 24.1″ x 26.7″||22” x 27” x 29”||27.5” x 19” x 7”||19.25” x 24.5” x 21”||18.25”x 25.5” x 7.6”||24.8″ X 17.7″ X 9.8″||17.7”x 24.8”x 9.8”||19”x 26”x 10”|
|Pan size (LxW)||17" across||14” across||14” x 14”||17” across||14” x 16”||14" x 16.5"||14” x 14”||10”center to sides|
|Item Weight||24 lbs||24 lbs||22.5 lbs||26 lbs||9.3 lbs||13 lbs.||12.5 lbs||13.5 lbs|
|Power||120 volt outlet – 15 VDC||120V output;12VDC input||120V 60Hz adapter||120V AC||AC adapter||AC adapter and 8 AA batteries||AC adapter and 8 AA batteries||Low voltage AC/DC Adapter|
|Basic version||LR II Standard||Original|
|How It Works||3-7 or 15 min after the cat leaves the litter box a special rotating mechanism drops the waste into a drawer.||7-min after the cat uses the litter box a sensor triggers a rotating mechanism that drops the waste into a drawer.||Disposable trays with crystals that absorb urine and feces get collected by a rake into the tray's waste trap.||Urine disposed through a waste/water drain. Clumps scooped by a rake then liquefied and disposed through a waste-water drain.||A scooping rake picks up waste clumps and put them in a waste receptacle.||A rake pushes and lifts the waste, dropping it into a waste compartment.||Urine and feces get pushed by a rake into a waste compartment.||Conveyor's motor rotates a litter bowl sifting the waste through the conveyor to fall into a waste compartment.|
|Requirements to Install||1) A level surface 2) electric outlet||1) Firm and level surface 2) electric outlet||1) Dry and ventilated area 2) electric outlet||1) Cold water line 2) waste water drain 3) electric outlet||1) leveled surface 2) electric outlet||1) Away from humidity and direct sunlight 2) electric outlet||1)Away from humidity and direct sunlight 2) electric outlet||1) Leveled surface 2) electric outlet|
|Minutes Delay Before Cycle||3-7-15 minute delay (adjustable)||7-minute delay||5,10 or 20 minutes||10 min. for 1 cat; 30 minutes for multiple cats||15-minute delay||10-minute delay||10-minute delay||It rotates continuously a small bit every minute.|
|Safety Mechanism||Rotation stops if a cat re-enters the litter box and resets for another 3-7-15 minutes.||Cleaning cycle stops if a cat re-enters and resets for another 7 minutes.||It resets to 5,10 or 20 more minutes delay if a cat re-enters||It resets to 10 more minutes delay if a cat re-enters (30 min in Cat Activation mode).||If sensors detect the cat a red light turns on and restarts the cycle for another 15 minutes.||It resets for extra 10 minutes if a cat re-enters||It stops and resets for another 10 minutes if a cat re-enters||System rotates very slowly, safe for cats|
|MAINTENANCE (ONE CAT)|
|Frequency Disposing Waste||Toss the bag every 5-10 days (depending on the cat). Average: 7 days||Dispose the bagged waste every 5-7 days||Change tray every 10-20 days (see note 1) Empty waste evert 3-4 days.||Self waste-disposing||Depending on the cat's habits, every 2 to 5 days.||Change or empty plastic compartments every 4-7 days||Change or empty compartment every 4-7 days||Every other day approx.|
|Frequency Cleaning Unit (approx)||Wash the Globe ideally every month||Wash the globe every month||Wipe surfaces once a month||Clean the impeller once or twice a month. Clean the unit every 2-3 months||Clean the rake when needed. Wash the tray 3 times a month or when needed.||Clean rake and sensors when needed. Wipe the unit when needed.||Sensors and rake when needed. Wipe unit 3 times a month or when needed.||Wash the bowl 3 times a month or when needed.|
|How to Clean Unit||Globe and waste drawer can be washed using mild soap||Lift the globe and hose if off using mild soap||Remove waste trap and wipe surfaces and rake with mild soap and water.||Disassemble the unit, wash the base and brim with mild liquid soap and water, reassemble it.||Fully disassemblable. Wash with mild soap and warm water.||Wipe sensors with dry cloth and pan with a damp cloth. Wash pan & rake.||Wipe sensors with dry cloth and unit with a damp cloth. Wash tray & rake.||Disassemble the unit and wash the non-electrical components.|
|SUPPLIES (ONE CAT)|
|Brand supplies to work|
|Litter||Premium clay clumping litter||Any clumping premium litter||ScoopFree disposable tray cartridge with crystals||CatGenie washable granules||Any clumping premium litter||Premium clumping litter||Premium clumping litter||Any clumping premium litter|
|Other Supplies||Any 8-13 Gal trash / carbon filter||Any 8-13 Gal trash / carbon filter||NO||CatGenie Sanisolution, CatGenie Maintenance cartridge.||Any grocery bags, carbon filters||Littermaid waste receptacles, carbon filter||Littermaid waste receptacles, carbon filter||Any grocery bags|
|Optional Accessories||Ramp||Fence, ramp, cabinet||Hood, anti-tracking carpet. (alternative Forever Tray & Litter Bagger).||CatGenie Dome, Sidewalls.||Any litter mat||Permalid, Littermaid natural Zeolite, Litermaid mat.||Permalid, Littermaid natural Zeolite, Litermaid mat||Any litter mat|
|COST BY MONTH (ONE CAT) **|
|Cost Approx. in US$||12 US$ to 15 US$ (see note 1)||12 US$ to 15 US$ (see note 1)||20 US$ to 40 US$ (see note 2)||12 US$ to 15 US$||US$10 to US$12||15 US$ to 25 US$||15 US$ to 25 US$||10 US$ to US$12|
|Cat weight||5 lbs up to 20 lbs||5 lbs up to 14 lbs or more||Approx. 5 lbs up to 12 lbs||Approx. 5 lbs up to 10 lbs||Approx. 5 lbs up to 10 lbs||Approx. 5 lbs up to 10 lbs||Approx 5 lbs up to 10 lbs||Approx. 5 lbs up to 12 lbs|
|Kittens||Only if used manually||Used manually||From 6 months age||From 6 months age||From 6 months age||From 6 months age||From 6 months age||From 6 months age|
|Multi-cat||YES||YES||YES, but better if used with 1 cat||YES (Better if used by 2 cats max)||YES, better if used with one cat||YES, two small-medium size cats||NO||Preferable one cat|
|Guarantee||90 days money-back||90 days money-back||90 days money-back||90 days money-back (Except purchases to 3rd parties)||30 day money-back||30 day money-back||30 day money-back||30 day money-back|
|Warranty||18 months||18 months||1 year limited (defective pieces)||2 years limited||One year||One year||One year||One year limited|
(*) Ratings are the average of totality of customers reviews and other factors and they are subject to change (**) Costs are approximate and they could change. (1) Cost depends on the clumping litter you use and how often you change carbon filter (2) Depending on the cat you may need to change tray every week (3) % of satisfaction is different than rating and it represents customers that have rated the unit with 5 and 4 stars over purchases online, this number might change in the future (***) You might not have these issues, it depends on the cat and the correct usage, but also some issues come from the unit design (****) Check details of warranty policy with the manufacturer or distributor.
TOP AUTOMATIC LITTER BOXES: ADVANTAGES, ISSUES, SOLUTIONS & BOTTOM LINE
#1 LITTER ROBOT III OPEN AIR
WHY IS THIS UNIT THE LEADER ON THE MARKET?
STRONG ADVANTAGES: High percent of reliability, fully self-scooping, not dirty rakes, saves up to 50% on cat litter, indicator when to empty the litter box, unique mechanism to release all the waste from the bottom, minimum noise, high capacity to collect the cat waste, practically zero odor.
Do you want to know more? check the main 5 technical reasons why this unit is so dependable. You may wonder how I came up with these main technical reasons to place the Litter Robot Open Air a step ahead of the rest. Well, I’ve researched and investigated automatic litter boxes for 4 years and I consider myself very knowledgeable about how most of them work (actually you will find other review-websites with my reviews :-)). I know every single downfall that most of them have and this unit doesn’t have any of those issues.
- POSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Only if your cat is an enthusiast litter kicker some litter could spill out the litter box, but this rarely happens 2. If you pour too much litter in the globe, the unit might not complete a rotation 3. Occasionally some litter may fall between the bag and the waste drawer (this is not really a big deal though).
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. To stop litter spillage, get the fence or the ramp, they both come as optional accessories 2. To allow a smooth rotation of the globe, you must pour litter only up to the full line indicator (approx. 12-13 cups of 8 Oz) 3. To avoid leaving a gap between the waste drawer and the bag you have to line the bag tightly to the drawer, that simple.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People that want to forget about the cat’s litter box for several days, up to 10 days with one small cat (personally, I only think about the litter box on Sundays when I take the trash can outside). People with medical conditions that can’t bend over to much to take care of the litter box on a daily basis. A cat owner willing to do a big initial investment but without future expenses on the manufacturer’s supplies.
- IDEAL CAT: Any cat weighing between 5 and 20 lbs
SPECIAL GIFT FOR CAT LOVERS! If you love the LRIII Open Air as I do, you can get a very good price for it, just check more details on my Litter Robot III review where you’ll see demostrative videos, including a video review of my cat doing her business in this cool machine.
VIDEO HOW THE LITTER ROBOT OPEN AIR WORKS
THE TOP #2: LITTER ROBOT BUBBLE
The second best rated automatic cat litter box, it fully takes care of the scooping. The unit is big and a large investment.
- ADVANTAGES: Fully self-scooping, not dirty rakes, high percentage of effectiveness in self-scooping, saving on cat litter.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Some cats might kick litter outside the box 2. The Globe not rotating 3. Circuit board is not water proof 4. Waste drawer isn’t sealed so it may leak some odor 5. Clumps may get in contact with upper inside of Globe when rotating.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Get the fence or the ramp that are sold as optional accessories 2. Seal the circuit panel with plastic film 3. Get the seal strips for the waste drawer and get extra filters to stop odors 4. The unit doesn’t have a internal shield to stop clumps from getting in contact with the upper inside of Globe as the III version 5. This happens very occasionally.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: Busy people that want to forget about the litter box for up to 4-5 days. People willing to do a big initial investment and have a unit with the ability to work without the manufacturer’s supplies.
- IDEAL CAT: Any cat weighing between 5 and 14 lbs. Cats that don’t create too stinky waste, better the LRIII.
VIDEO HOW THE LITTER ROBOT BUBBLE WORKS
TOP #3: SCOOPFREE ULTRA
The third best rated automatic litter box. We could state that the ScoopFree handles the urine until the tray needs to be changed (every 10 to 20 days, depending on the cat) and the feces clumps until the waste trap gets full and then you need to scoop it (every 3-4 days).
- ADVANTAGE: Convenient disposable tray system.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. The bottom of the unit is a cardboard tray and it may be susceptible to leaking. For the same reason sidewalls are not fully sealed. This could be a problem with certain male cats 2. Smelly crystals 3. Waste compartment too full before time to change tray.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? Only alternative solution. 1. If a cat scratches the bottom or urinates on walls, there is a plastic permanent tray (not from ScoopFree) that can be used with crystals 2. For smelly crystals you need to stir the crystals every day and place the unit close to circulating air to make the crystals work better 3. Waste compartment needs to be emptied before switching tray.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People with the budget to buy disposable trays to keep the unit odor free (depending on the cat, trays have to be changed every 10-20 days with one cat).
- IDEAL CAT: Small to regular size cats that can handle crystals as litter. Cats that don’t urinate on walls or scratch too much when digging. Cats that don’t eat by products or have urinary or digestive problems. If you feed your cat corn or wheat based dry food the Scoopfree isn’t going to work the same. Healthy dry cat foods are essential to reduce the amount of waste your cat creates.
VIDEO HOW THE SCOOPFREE ULTRA WORKS
The unit needs a work intervention in the house to install it. It fully takes care of scooping and disposing the waste.
- ADVANTAGE: Fully self cleaning and self-disposing automatic litter box.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Excessive granule-litter tracking granules 2. Waste drain line and/or impeller gets clogged with cat hair or granules (not always) 3. Bad smell during cleaning cycle.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Granules tracking can be minimized getting the Sidewalls 2. Brush your cat often to avoid hair from going into the impeller and disassemble the unit to clean the impeller periodically 3. Set the unit away from living areas.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People who does not want to dispose waste. People willing to unclog the unit if needed and clean the granule-litter tracking. People that have a 2d bathroom (ideally the garage’s or a laundry room away from living areas) to install it.
- IDEAL CAT: Small to average size cat with firm stools and that does not shed too much.
VIDEO HOW THE CATGENIE WORKS
#5 PETZONE SMART SCOOP
This unit is very similar in structure to the SmartScoop litter box, but with a slightly stronger motor and higher sidewalls.
- ADVANTAGES: Rake-scooping system does not push clean litter to waste compartment and does not create piles. Good price.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Cleaning does not start 2. Waste stuck behind rake 3. Unit struggles through cleaning cycle 4. Scooping-rake does not scoop urine clumps attached to the litter pan.
- IS THE ISSUE RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Clean sensors with soft dry cloth 2. Power off unit, lift rake and clean 3. Redistribute the litter on pan, make sure litter level is not too high 4. Scrape litter pan to scoop urine clumps.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People willing to scoop and scrape the litter pan when needed, pouring litter in the litter box every 3-5 days and leveling the litter daily. People with one or two average size cats and without a budget to buy special extra supplies to make the unit work.
- IDEAL CAT: Small to average size cats (under 15 lbs.) that are not diggers, cats that use mostly the center of the litter area. Cats without urinary problems.
VIDEO HOW PETZONE SMART SCOOP WORKS
#6 LITTERMAID MULTI CAT
This model has some adjustments, such as plastic rake, more powerful motor and the night timer has been removed.
- ADVANTAGE: Good complement in scooping the litter box for a reasonable price. It can be used for two small or medium sized cats.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Rake being stuck 2. Feces caught on the rake and tray 3. Litter accumulated on the ends of litter pan or behind the rake 4. Litter spillage when rake is depositing waste into receptacle.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Turn off the unit & clear the areas from litter 2. Spray silicone or special oleum on rake and tray 3. Re-distribute the litter and scoop if needed 4. Use very good clumping litter. Clear litter in edges of the machine.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People that need a complement to scooping, which means willing to scrap the bottom pan to scoop stuck clumps, maintain the unit properly and keep an eye on the machine at least once a day.
- IDEAL CAT: Small to medium size cats if used by two cats. One cat up to 15 lbs. Ideally cats without digestive or urinary problems and not for extreme diggers. Cats that don’t use corners.
#7 LITTERMAID LM580
This model is the return of the original Classic Littermaid that was discontinued though not as durable as the original. The unit seems to be better than Littermaid Elite versions, mainly because of its plastic rake.
- ADVANTAGE: It complements the daily scoop for a good price.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Dusty sensors 2. Rake gets stuck and it does not move so the unit doesn’t complete a cleaning cycle 3. Waste stuck on tray/rake.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Don’t overfill the litter pan 2. Use Premium clumping litter 3. Spray silicone on tray/rake or clear and re-distribute litter in areas where the rake moves.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: Somebody willing to check on the litter box at least once a day and willing to clean and scoop the unit when needed. People that need a complement to a scooping and not leaving the unit alone for more than a day.
- IDEAL CAT: Small to regular size cats (under 15 lbs.) that don’t create too much waste. Cats with no urinary problems. Cats that use center of litter area.
#8 PETSAFE SIMPLY CLEAN
The unit rotates constantly at very slow rate, creating a permanent cleaning cycle.
- ADVANTAGE: Good sifting conveyor system to collect the waste.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. Litter accumulating under conveyor 2. Unit making grinding noise when rotating.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? YES, 1. Scoop the excess of litter and redistribute litter around the conveyor and clean the conveyor itself 2. Check between base and plate to be clean. Conveyor needs to be clean and cleared often from litter.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People willing to do a daily maintenance to the unit. People with one small size cat that want an extra help from scooping every day.
- IDEAL CAT: Small size cats weighing under 12 lbs. Cast without physical disabilities.
VIDEO HOW PETSAFE SIMPLY CLEAN WORKS
(this video has been 30 minutes sped up into over 1 min. The conveyor lid has been taken off for illustrative purpose)
The first brand introducing the innovative concept of rake-scooping and not rake-pushing.
- ADVANTAGE: It collects waste clumps by scooping the surface of the litter box.
- POSSIBLE ISSUES: 1. It does not collect urine clumps attached to the litter pan 2. Clumps fall by gravity into the waste compartment and may fall onto the floor in the process.
- ARE THE ISSUES RESOLVABLE? Partially 1. Scrape the litter pan manually 2. Place a mat underneath.
- IDEAL CAT OWNER: People with time to scrape the urine clumps from the bottom of the pan and pouring litter every 3-5 days approx.
- IDEAL CAT: Small to average cats (under 15 lbs.) that usually use the center of the litter pan. Cats without urinary problems.
VIDEO HOW SMARTSCOOP SELF CLEANING LITTER BOX WORKS
Copyright © 2012-2016, by Lorena Avila. All rights reserved.
No copies are allowed in any form.