I previously did a review of Petkit Smart Pet Feeder which is a good device but the new version, the Petkit Mini Smart Feeder is smaller and especially designed for cats. The new Petkit Mini feeder allows you to feed your cat smaller portions at a time which is a great feature because cats usually overeat and in some cases it’s better to feed them several small portions throughout the day. So I decided to make a review of this product and see if it has the same quality that the larger unit.
Key features of Petkit Mini Feeder
- Wi-Fi powered feeder you can control and program from anywhere
- Manual feedings to feed your cat extra meals
- Food capacity: 3.3 lbs dry food (1.5 k)
- Feeding capacity up to 10 meals per day
- Portion size range: From 5 g, up to 100 g at a time.
- Programmed feeding schedule will repeat every day
- Anti-jamming technology ensures reliable food dispensing
- Silicone sealing ring on food gate keeps food sealed.
- Desiccant bag on lid keeps food fresh and free of moisture
- Removable magnetic tray, easy to pull or put back on.
- Backup battery in case of power loss (4 x AA size, not included)
- Can be fully disassembled to clean
- Material: High Impact Polystyrene
- Low energy consumption (3 kilowatt-hour/mo)
- Dimensions: 6.7” x 6.7” x 12.4”
- Weight: 2.5 kg
Apple or Android smartphone
Requires a wireless router 2.4GHz [802.11b/g/n])
Power Adapter: Input: 110-240v ~ 50-60hz; Output: 6V=1000mA.
Feeder’s Footprint: 0.054 m2
How it works
As the Petkit Mini is a Wi-Fi enabled device you need to download the App to create an account, bind the feeder with the App and then connect the device to your home Wi-Fi network (2.4GHz router). All the programming is done on the App.
Petkit Mini features an anti-sticking technology based on the bionics principle. The food-grade silicone mixing blade, oscillating bar and internal spring allow the flexibility needed for the kibble to pass through without getting stuck. The feeder works with a wide range of kibble size up to 12 mm diameter. Rounded kibble shape is ideal for better accuracy.
When it’s time to dispense, the food gate’s lid opens allowing the food to drop onto the tray and then moves back into position, covering the food gate. This makes this feeder paws-proof. The food gate’s lid has a sort of spring loaded latch on the inside that can’t be pulled unless you lift the lid off. Also, in order to lift the lid a button needs to be pressed in a way that only human hands can do it.
The Petkit’s lid features a compartment on the inside that holds a silica desiccant bag that keeps the food fresh. This silica bag needs to be replaced every 30 days.
Video How Petkit Mini works
How to Program it
The feeder can be program to dispense up to 10 meals per day, each portion can be set from a minimum of 5g up to 100g at a time. The feeder works with 5g increments. The feeding schedule must be programmed on the phone, using the free downloading Petkit App.
You just need to program your cat feeding schedule once and it will repeat every day. The timer is a 24-hour so you can’t program days of the week individually. If you want to feed your cat differently a specific day of the week or on the weekend, you need to change the feeding schedule the day before. The good thing is that you can do this from anywhere, on your phone.
What I like about the Petkit App
—You have a good control of the feeder’s operation due to several notifications. Simply go to “Notifications” on your App and it will show up the following:
- Low-food notification. You won’t have to worry about when it’s time to refill the feeder.
- Desiccant replacement notification. It will let you know in advance when you need to replace the silica bag.
- Low-battery notification. The main source power of the feeder is the Adapter but in case you want a power backup in case of power outage you can check the battery life on your App.
—The App can determine the best and healthiest food portion of your cat. You just need to enter its breed, age, weight and activity level.
—You can control multiple devices under one Petkit account. That’s great.
What I like about the Petkit Mini Feeder
- The unit is quiet when operating
- Minimalist design and pure white color matches with any decor (It makes a beautiful set with Petkit Eversweet water fountain).
- It provides accuracy in portions, very important if you have a cat on a diet.
- Ability to dispense very small portions of food (minimum 1/20 cup/5g). Great to feed a cat several times throughout the day, especially if you have a cat that eats too fast.
- Anti-jam technology, no worries about the food getting stuck
- The feeder is cat-proof
- Dual power AC/DC adapter and batteries ensures operation no matter what.
- All the pieces of the feeder can be detach, including the mixing blade.
- You can trigger manual feedings from your phone. Good if you want to indulge your kitty with extra snacks.
- Small silica bag on the lid protects the food from moisture. Excellent if you use cat food without preservatives.
- Removable magnetic tray for easy cleaning. Easy to put it back on since the magnet directs where it goes.
- Non-skid rubber pads on the bottom of feeder provides stability.
- Battery compartment secured with screws, so batteries don’t fall off.
- Good customer service.
What I didn’t like about the feeder
- No stainless steel bowl
- Only connects with 2.4GHz network
- Hard to get the feeder connected to Wi-Fi
My final thoughts about Petkit Mini Cat Feeder
Petkit Mini Smart feeder is a good option for cats that are food-driven and prone to break into an automatic feeder. The food gate lid protects the food from the cat’s paws and it’s impossible to defeat. The only way a cat could defeat this feeder is if it’s smart enough to figure out that pushing the manual feeding button will release food. This is highly unlikely to occur.
The drawback of this unit is the fact that is hard to connect with the Wi-Fi network but the customer service it’s really helpful and once it gets connected it works flawlessly.
I recommend Petkit Mini Smart Feeder for:
- Cats on a diet
- Cats that eat dry food without preservatives
- Food-driven cats
x I don’t recommend it:
- In case you want to prevent feline chin acne
- If you only use 5G network