I decided to make a review of Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box because of its cuteness, modern and minimalist design. Also, because of the fact that is an enclosed front-entry litter box with a grate that effectively stops litter from spilling onto the floor.
I wanted to know if the Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box could be used by cats of all sizes and ages. Also, I needed to know if this is the ultimate solution for small apartments where the litter box cannot be hidden. Let’s check the features and all what I discovered about this cool-looking litter box.
Features of Pidan Igloo Litter Box
- Minimalist and beautiful design that conceals your cat’s litter box
- Grated entryway helps to keep the litter box area clean
- Grate is designed to open your cat’s paws as your cat walks, removing the excess of litter.
- Slightly elevated entryway allows easy access for cats of all ages
- It keeps dogs out of the litter box
- The scoop can be hang conveniently inside the litter box for easy access.
- Made with food grade polypropylene (pp) treated with ionpure technology, giving it antibacterial properties
- It accommodates cats up to 17 lbs
- Dimensions: 19.39”H x 20.47”W x 9.84” Radius (49.25cm H x 52.00cm W x 25cm R)
- Dome height from bottom to highest point: 19.39 inches
- Outside Diameter of Basin: 21.57”
- Basin height: 5.35
- Height from floor up to entry: 5.35”
- Item weight: 8.16 lbs (Dome 5.4 lbs, and basin 2.76 lbs)
- Colors: Arctic white, baby pink and baby blue
How it works
Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box consists of a round base which is the litter tray and a dome lid that goes on top of it, connected through a brace. The Pidan Igloo litter box features an inner seam that you can see through the entryway. The seam and the base fit snugly to prevent urine leakage. The inner seam measures 9 inches high so if you have a cat who sprays higher than this, the litter box could experience leakage.
The dome lid features a built-in grated entryway and a sidewall. The grated entryway and internal sidewall act as a corridor for the cat to walk on to access the litter box. After the cat uses the litter box it will exit the unit by stepping on the grate which has openings that are designed to open the cat’s pads and remove litter that will fall back into the base.
To clean the litter box you need to lift the top off and this could be a little hard since it doesn’t have handles. You will have to grab the top from the entryway.
Pouring cat litter inside the Pidan Studio House Igloo
How roomy is the Pidan Snow House Igloo
The built-in grate and sidewall in the top dome take about half of the space of the usable litter area,which makes this unit more suitable for small and medium sized cats. This unit can accommodate larger cats but they won’t be able to maneuver easily and litter box accidents may happen.
The litter box area of this litter box features a radius of 9.84” which is the litter box width (almost same width of the Petsafe Simply Clean litter box tray). The bottom tray’s height is 5.35”.
The following diagram with the dimensions provides a better reference:
Best cat litter to use with the Pidan Studio Snow Home Igloo
Any bentonite clumping litter is good to use with the Igloo litter box. Try choosing a cat litter whose particles are not extremely fine. If you have a cat with respiratory condition or urinary disease, tofu cat litter could be a good option, plus it can be dispose in the toilet while the bentonite can’t.
What are the pros & cons of this litter box?
- Easy to set up
- Modern, minimalist, and cute litter box that can be placed anywhere, special for small apartments
- Walk-in grate helps to reduce litter tracking (you still need a litter mat if your cat jumps out the litter box)
- Enclosure design and inner wall help to contain odors
- The scoop can be hang inside the dome for easy cleaning
- It keeps dogs out of the litter box
- Entry allows enough light inside the litter box
- The litter box could leak if you have a cat that sprays high and against the walls (the seam tends to collect urine as well).
- The brace that connects the dome and the basin could leak urine outside the litter box if a cat urinates on top of the brace.
- The walk-in entrance and sidewall take half of the space inside the litter tray.
- You practically need to “hug” the dome to lift it off to clean the litter box
- The bottom of the litter box could scratch hard floors so you can’t slide it to move it.
- The basin is not very tall
- The dome is not lightweight. Lifting the top could be hard on elderly or disabled people.
- Dirty litter collects inside the crevices and grate that you will need to clean up.
Tips for better use
- The Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box doesn’t use liners but if you like liners, the Easyology Ziggy Cat liners (3ft x 18 inch) could be a good solution to lining this litter box.
- You can take out the scoop from the inside if you want more room for your kitty.
Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box offers a very aesthetically solution to place the litter box in areas where it will be seen. This litter box is cute and it helps to reduce substantially odors and litter tracking.
The bad part is that the design doesn’t prevent urine leakage in determined cases, such as the cat urinating high and against the seams, and a cat urinating on top of the brace that connects the top and the basin. As the litter area is kind of small, if your cat is not on the small side it will probably urinate on top of the seams or the brace. This is a common issue that I discussed in my article about best automatic litter box for high spraying cats.
Pidan Studio Snow House Igloo litter box is suitable for:
- Kittens and small cats (up to 7 lbs)
- Preferably females
- People with the ability to lift the dome off.