Star rating: 4.1 | This is a full review of the Omega Paw Litter Box with all the information you need to know to decide if this unit is a good solution for you and your cat.
The Omega Paw Roll Self-Cleaning cleans your cat’s feces and urine just in a minute without the scooping task. Inside the Omega litter box, there is a grill that divides out the clumped waste, directing it to the pullout tray. The large litter box size is suitable for big cats or for multiple cat households.
The Omega Paw even though considered a self-cleaning litter box is not an electronic self-cleaning litter box. The good thing is that you don’t need electricity or expensive filters to make it work.
- Manually self-cleans by rolling the litter box to the right and back again
- Waste is collected in the pullout tray for quick and easy disposal
- It controls dust and contains odors
- A good solution for big cats or multiple-cat households
- No electricity or filters needed
- Dimensions regular size: 18 x 18 x 20 inches.
- Dimensions large size: 23″ x 19″ x 18.5″
How it Works
The Omega Paw litter box works better if you use clumping and silica litters. Keep 3″ of clumping litter in it at all times. Refill as needed. To clean the waste:
- Simply roll the litter box on its right side until the top touches the floor (or until you hear all the soiled litter goes into the tray).
- Then slightly roll the box to the left to allow the clean litter back into the box. Shake the litter box to even the litter.
- When you roll the litter box to its right side, a screen separates the clean litter from the crumpled waste, putting all the soiled litter into the tray and will remain there until emptied. To empty it, just pull out the tray and dispose of the waste. Note: you need a big area to roll the box. Minimum 6-8 feet (depending on the size).
What are the Pros and Cons of the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box?
By checking the Pros and Cons of a cat product, you have a better idea if the item is what you need for your pet.
- Eliminate the scooping task.
- Cleaning your cat litter box within a minute.
- Just roll it upside down and cleaning is done.
- Good for busy people.
- Reduce the amount of litter usage.
- Cats seem to appreciate the privacy of the box.
- No batteries/plug, motors, or special plastic containers.
- Waste is not 100% exposed to air as a typical litter box.
- No hands contact with your cat’s feces or urine.
- Affordable price.
- Latches of the assembling system are weak (see below tips to reinforce them).
- Litter clumps might get stuck below the drawer or on the grate (Good litter and the right level of it stops that).
- It might start to stink if not cleaning the unit often.
- You need a large space to roll the unit. (The Litter Spinner works similar to the Omega Paw, but without requiring a large space).
- The unit has to be perfectly assembled otherwise, the system might not work correctly.
Tips To Use Better The Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
The following are the tips and tricks that will help you to get the best experience using the Omega Paw.
When Assembling It:
This is the MOST important step. In order to make the screen work properly when you roll the litter box to its right side and prevent also litter leaking, you have to assemble it perfectly.
- If the latches don’t latch smoothly, don’t put undue pressure on them, just make sure that they are lined up straight so this way the box sides are tightly together, and look to see if there is a plastic or little tag causing the latches not moving well, and if this is the case, just take it off with a paring knife.
- If your litter box leaks a little cat litter when rolling it, just use duct tape or wide masking tape to seal the edge where the top and bottom meet. The sealing prevents also small litter particles from escaping and going to your breathing.
- After sealing the edges, it is a good idea to reinforce the clamps with binder clips
When Rolling The Litter Box:
How much you roll the litter box to the right side and how long it will depend on how full it is and how often you clean it.
- If you have too much waste on the box, it is a good idea whether to roll the litter box twice or give a couple of knocks when it is inverted to release any clumps sticking to the bottom of the box. However, if you keep the litter level on 3 inches you should have minimal sticking issues.
- When you roll the litter box to its side, do it slowly. If you roll it too fast, some clumps escape the grid and get back to the clean litter. Also, when you roll the box too fast a lot of clean litter is wasted. It is a good idea to slow-rolling the litter box on a rug that cushions the box and its seam.
- If you use a really good clumping cat litter, don’t roll-and-clean immediately after the cat makes its deposits on the box. Give the clump time to harden.
To Fill The Litter Box Or Empty It:
- To put new litter on the box, tilt it backward and pour in the litter. To empty it, tilt it forward over a trash receptacle. Another option is to fill it with a litter scoop.
- As we mentioned before, make sure to always put 3” of litter on the box. More than that will result in litter waste. To accomplish this just mark the fill line inside the box with a marker so you are keeping the box adequately filled every time.
To Wash It:
It is recommendable to do this at least once a month but it will depend on how fast your cat gets it inside dirty. Some customers report they don’t need to wash the litter box even after two months or more.
- In order to wash the box is has to be disassembled, and then the litter needs to be dumped into a trash bag to dispose of.
- Rinse it out and soak it for about an hour in water with a little bit of bleach (make sure no bleach is left in the box), let it dry, reassemble and add fresh litter.
What Litter To Use?
Customers have recommended several brands but you will have to try the best one and see yourself the best results. The ideal is to use a high-quality clumping cat litter that clumps hard as a rock. Some brands that have been recommended by customers are Tidy Cats, Arm & Hammer, Scoop Away, World’s Best, Fresh Step. Is crucial to use the ideal litter, otherwise, the waste and litter will stick to the sides of the grate.
What Omega Litter Box Size To Buy?
The Omega Self-Cleaning Litter Box comes in regular and large sizes. Regular size is suitable for very small cats (kitten), large for adult cats that are not very big (over 15 lbs.)
- If you have a slight odor problem with your cat litter box, pouring a little baking soda into the litter will help absorb air-born odor (baking soda will get dumped with the waste when you empty the drawer).
- If your cat doesn’t like the idea of this enclosed litter box, you may need to keep the cover off at first to make it go into it.
Omega Paw Roll works as advertised and resolves the problem of scooping your cat litter box every day. Even though this unit has some issues (as the urine odor after a while of using it), the overall performance of this unit as a self-cleaning litter box is the best in its price range (under US$50). For these reasons:
√ I recommend the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box:
- If your cat is very shy and might get scared with an electronic litter box.
- If your only concern is just to eliminate the scooping task from your daily routine.
- If you have a big room for your cat litter box.
- If your cat is used to do its business in the litter area and not all around.
- If you don’t mind to disassemble the litter box to properly wash it.
x I don’t recommend this litter box in these situations:
- If you have a very big cat (over 15 lbs.). Large size has enough room on the litter area but not enough for your cat to turn around if it’s too big or tall.
- Not recommendable for cats with soft stool.
- For small apartments or if you don’t have enough room for this litter box.
- If you want a completely free-odor cat litter box.
Switched from a regular litter box to this litter box instead. We are very limited to space to “hide” a litter box as we live in a one story home. We have now had it for only 3 days and the difference is absolutely fantastic! No smell and very easy to clean. We couldn’t be more happy! Soo worth the money!!
Sandra Carlton says
My Husband Nd I have 4 of cats we resusued, we have tried all kinds of kitty pottys, I ordered two of the Omegas, and have had them 3 days , could not be more pleased, My cats took too them immediately, so easy to clean and no smell, I love them, We can now take care of our fur babies, and keep a clean house. We could not afford the 500.00 one, we would need two. For less than a hundred dollars, we g at the same results, Could not be more pleased.
Lorena Ávila says
Hello Sandra, thanks for sharing your good experience with the Omega Paw.
I feel this box costs more money than it’s worth. Every time I clean it I have to still use the litter scooper. I also would not recommend this box to anyone
Lorena Ávila says
Hello Jane, this system is not suitable for everyone. Some people love this, while others don’t like the operation of this self-cleaning litter box due to the eventual task of removing some clumps from the walls. Thanks for sharing your comment.
Tahni Strickland says
These can’t handle large urine clumps and all the turds just fall back into the box when you roll it upright. Great idea but doesn’t really work.
Lorena Ávila says
Thanks for your comment, Thahni.
I had one of these 12 years ago and loved it! I had to leave it behind when I flew back East to retrieve the cat from our daughter 6 months after my husband and I moved out to CO. (I couldn’t exactly put it in my luggage.) The cat is now 17’s y/o. She’s never completely liked the CatGenie since we got it in 2016. We finally put a back-up box in place when we had an issue with the CatGenie a while back.
I’m so glad to discover these are still made, and they have stronger clips! I’m so over the traditional boxes! It’s why I got the CatGenie in the first place, but this will be a great back-up for my old lady, persnickity cat!