LITTER ROBOT II REVIEW
On this review I will describe all the features of the classic Litter Robot and how it works, how to clean it and much more. This Classic model is the first version out of three and it may not be produced in the future because the top notch automatic litter box now is the Litter Robot 3. Check this latest version suitable for larger cats and discover its great features.
The Litter Robot II self cleaning litter box is a very sophisticated automatic solution that will allow you to never have to scoop a dirty litter again, even if you have several cats. The unit has a unique design with a rotating mechanism that separates the waste from the clean litter and deposits it in a receptacle on the bottom of the unit. All this done seven minutes after your cat has done its “business” and left the litter box.
To clean this machine is very simple; you only have to change kitchen garbage bags every few days. Ideal trash bags are 13 gallon but 8 gallon standard bags also work. If you have several cats you will probably need to change the bag every 2-3 days, but you will never have to scoop the litter box by hand anymore.
The Litter Robot is a safe unit. It operates at 12 volts (AC/DC adapter included). Besides, there are not losing parts or sharp pieces or any electrical wiring that could make contact with your cat and harm it.
This automatic litter box accommodates cats up to 15 pounds, but depending on the cat’s versatility a bigger cat could adapt with no problem to this automatic litter box.
- Automatically cleans the litter box, no more manual scooping
- Very easy to setup
- It does not require expensive trays or disposable receptacles
- It works with clumping cat litter
- Reduces effectively cat litter box odor with big carbon filter
- You don’t have to buy supplies periodically to make it work.
- Comfortable and safe for your cats
- It works also with biodegradable cat litter.
- Built-to-last appliance.
- Very suitable for multiple cats households.
- Litter saver
- Sifting system keeps the litter and the cat’s paws clean.
- Waste goes into a bottom drawer for easy bagged disposal.
- Good for long trips: drawer is able to contain several days’ worth of bagged waste.
- Automatic 7-minutes-delay-cleaning reduces significantly the litter box odor.
- It features manual cleaning cycles by pushing a button.
- Gives you more freedom to take short trips
- It provides you more time to enjoy with your pet.
- 90 day money-back guarantee (from manufacturer)
- 18 month full warranty
- Product Dimensions: 24″ D x 22″ W x 29″ H
- Waste drawer dimension: 6″ H x 11″ W x 16″ L
- Entry opening for the cat: 9″ H x 6 ½” W
- The litter area measures 14″ across at maximum litter capacity.
- Unit’s weight: 24 pounds
HOW DOES THE LR II WORK?
Once your cat gets in the Litter Robot its weight is detected by a special sensor which triggers a 7-minute countdown after the cat leaves the unit to start a cleaning cycle. On minute “zero” the mechanism of the globe rotates and gently separates the waste clumps from the clean litter These clumps drop into a waste drawer located on the bottom of the unit. This drawer contains a carbon filter for better odor control.
As a safety measure, the globe rotates slowly and the unit shuts off automatically if your cat re enters the litter box while in cleaning cycle. The machine will wait for 15 sec. to resume the cleaning cycle. If the cat is still inside the unit, the Globe won’t rotate.
This unique system does not have rake mechanism that could get jammed so it does not need frequent cleaning and maintenance.
The Litter Robot features manual cleaning cycles by pushing “cycle” button.
VIDEO HOW THE LITTER ROBOT WORKS:
WHAT COMES IN THE BOX?
√ Litter Robot II Standard unit fully assembled
√ 1 Lip Extender (it comes assembled to the globe)
√ 1 Carbon Filter
√ 3 Waste Drawer Liners
√A 12 Volt AC/DC power adapter
√ Owner’s Manual
√ Return and Repack Instructions
HOW TO SETUP THE UNIT:
The Litter Robot comes assembled so all you have to do is putting the globe on the base and align the cog in the base unit with the cog notches in the globe and then plug the unit. If you bought the additional fence, you have to snap the lip with this fence and then place it on the globe. Instructions how to put together the lip and the fence.
LITTER ROBOT II VS LITTER ROBOT BUBBLE UNIT
Both versions include the lip extender and additionally you can order an optional fence that snaps with the lip to act as an effective barrier to kicked litter and also helps to the full entry of your cat into the globe.
Basically the difference it’s on the globe: the Litter Robot Bubble Globe has a “Skylight-Bubble” type of window which increases the space by 3 inches (front to back depth) and gives natural light to the litter chamber. This solution is very good for big sized cats. The Litter Robot LRII does not have this type of window and consequently the extra 3″ room from front to back.
If you want to know the differences between the Litter Robot II Classic, Bubble Unit and the Open Air, we offer a very complete side by side comparison Chart between these 3 versions and the main differences. You may want to see this comparison here.
VERY IMPORTANT POINTS:
- If you have kittens or small cats weighing less than 5 pounds you cannot use the Litter Robot without supervision. Due to their low weight they won’t activate the mechanism of the Litter Robot and it would not be safe for them to use it, so if you have a kitten you must use the Litter Robot manually by turning on the unit when it needs to be cleaned and then turn it off when the cleaning cycle has been completed.
- Litter Robot II works with clumping cat litter but for optimal performance it is highly recommended to use Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter to avoid some problems such as waste getting stuck on the Globe, dust when rotating or bad odor control.
- The unit does not work with non-clumping litters, litters that are strictly absorbent, newspaper based litters nor Pine based pellets.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CAT DOES NOT ADOPT THIS MACHINE
This is unlikely since almost 99% of cats adopt this litter box but if this happens to you and your cat refuses to use it, the manufacturer gives 90 day money back guarantee for a full refund of the purchase price, less shipping cost. Check the guarantee policy for better information.
- Very easy to setup and operate.
- No contact with the waste.
- Ir works with any clumping litter (except pine)
- Low maintenance, no manual scooping is needed.
- Good odor control.
- Much less cat litter needed than other systems.
- It’s very easy to fill.
- It automatically cleans 7 minutes delay after your cat using it.
- Not need to purchase the Company brand supplies to maintain the system working.
- It’s very easy to change the provided bags and you can use regular trash bags as well.
- With the Litter Robot’s step you get much less litter tracking.
- It does not require expensive special cat litters.
- It is quieter than other automatic litter box systems.
- It is made with high quality materials that will not rust (the rake)
- 18 month warranty
- It is a big unit.
- It might not work for large cats over 15 lbs.
- It has to be used manually for small cats and kittens less than 5 lbs.
- High initial investment
- It makes some noise when operating (quieter than other automatic litter boxes)
- Some litter falls from the Litter Robot when the cat exits the unit (place a mat next to it)
- Some litter does not get contain from cats that kick vigorously the litter when covering.
- Drawer is not airtight so bad odor may come out after some days of use.
- Bad odor when opening the drawer to dispose the bagged waste.
- Some clumps may get in contact with top of the Globe, getting into the cat’s fur later (the Litter Robot Open Air features a special part that stops this from happening, check a full review of this unit here)
- Some cats jump into the box without activating the sensor.
- Control panel is not water proof (keep it protected with plastic film)
TIPS GIVEN BY CUSTOMERS USING THE LR
1. Keep the unit clean and fresh by doing these 4 simple steps:
- Use “Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter” together with a litter additive called “Nil-O-Litter Cat Litter Deodorizer” or even cheaper, you can use “Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer” which contains baking soda.
- Change carbon filter every 2 months.
- Wash the globe once a month.
- Empty the drawer every 4 days and wash the drawer twice a month.
2. It is important not to plug this unit in front of your cat because it will automatically start a cleaning cycle and this might scare your cat to the level of never wanting to get in. If your cat is shy or timid it is a good idea to use the Litter Robot unplugged for a while.
3. You will most likely have to adjust the sensor on the bottom to your cat’s weight. If not adjusted correctly, it may not clean automatically. The adjustment is very easy and you can consult it in the provided user’s manual.
4. To get your cat to adopt the new litter box, use some litter magnet on it. Another trick is to leave the old litter box next to the Litter Robot (unplugged) and keep using the old one for a while until your cat gets familiar with the new Litter Robot and takes it.
5. Protect the control panel with a cling wrap.
6. If your cat always jumps to get into places, get a ramp to ensure he will use the step of the Litter Robot and will activate the sensor mechanism.
The Litter Robot is a very good solution to avoid the daily duty of scooping your cat litter box and the closest to be a maintenance-free automatic cat litter box.
Some points to consider about this unit:
- You can use this automatic litter box with any plastic trash bag and it will work. You save money in cat litter as well because as the system removes promptly the waste, the dirty litter does not have time to leak out to contaminate the clean one.
- Litter Robot’s globe needs a good washing after a month of constant use (depending on how much cats use it), otherwise the globe stars to smell. The drawer needs to be washed often too. If you want to avoid a smelly drawer, you can check the Open Air version.
- Some bad reviews from customers are usually consequence of using cheap litter, not filling the unit often with litter and letting the drawer too long without emptying it. You need to dispose the bagged waste at least once a week, ideally twice a week with multiple cats.
- If your cats eat by-products they will create more and smelly feces so you may need to empty the drawer every two or three days.
In general, the “cons” of this unit can be easily overcome which makes the Litter Robot a very good solution for people who don’t want to scoop the cat litter box. For all these reasons:
√ I recommend the Litter Robot II for cats that weigh between 5 and 15 pounds; if you want your cat to have more room the ideal maximum weight is 12 lbs. Good option for:
- Two cats.
- A money-saving seeker (on the long run).
- Very busy and cannot take care of the daily scooping.
- Trying to avoid too much contact with your cat waste.
- A busy person who takes trips often.
I recommend the Litter Robot with reservations if:
- Your cat’s weight is 5 pounds or less (you will need to make it work manually)
- Your cat weight is more than 15 pounds (it might adjust to it, and it might not)
- Your pet is shy or very nervous to movements or noises (if introduced properly the unit might work well)
- Your cat has diabetes or digestive problems
- Your cats eat by-products
- Your cat is old or if is very stubborn to adopt new systems (you never know the reaction, but these are not good points)
- If you don’t want a smelly litter box and you are going to use it inside the house in living areas.
For more information about the Litter Robot II click here.