When I saw the SpeedySift cat litter box I was in love with this great and unique system. I needed to know if it really works as it says it does. There are so many automatic and manual litter boxes in the market, but only a few allow you not to touch dirty litter. Imagine not having to scoop the litter box anymore nor touching anything dirty, including a scoop. So I went through all the details of this litter box and I discovered some things that will help you decide if this system is for you and your cat.
Features of SpeedySift
- Unique sifting system. It works with a pack of 14 sifting liners & a baseliner placed on top of each other creating a solid bottom. Each liner can be easily removed to sift the clumps.
- No scooping. Sifting the clumps from the clean litter is easy, it takes less than a minute.
- Works with regular clumping clay litter (non-lightweight)
- Materials: Waterproof 100% polypropylene (PP) corrugated plastic. The bottom tray is made of heavy-duty plastic. Top sidewalls are lightweight for easy removal.
- External dimensions: 20.9” x 17.9” x 4.9” (disassembled)
- Litter area dimension: 17.5″L x 13.5″W x 11″H (assembled)
- SpeedySift can be purchased with 4 packs of liners (56Ct) or with 8 packs of liners (112Ct)
- Requires a quick assembling
- Made in the USA
What comes in the package?
- Sidewalls & frame
- Bottom tray
- 5 x screws & nuts
- 4 x packs liners (or 8 x packs of liners if you purchase extra)
Assembling & set up
The litter box consists of two main parts: the top part which is the sidewalls and the bottom part which is the plastic tray. You need to assemble the top part by inserting the sidewall into the sidewall frame or base and secure it with the provided screws and nuts. Once you get assembled the top part put it aside.
Then put one pack of liners onto the plastic tray (the pack of liners comes folded with a piece of paperboard in the center). Once the liners are placed in the plastic tray pull open the 4 liners’ edges straight, pressing firmly against the center of the paperboard with one hand. This will ensure that the liners won’t slide out of place.
Remove the cardboard insert and pour about 1.5 to 2 inches of clumping litter, spreading litter out to the corners, making sure to stabilize the liners. That amount of litter is recommended to ensure the sifting liners will work properly. Finally, place the top sidewalls onto the plastic tray and the litter box is ready for your cat to use.
SpeedySift Quick Set-Up
How the SpeedySift litter box system works
The cat uses the litter box as usual. When it’s time to clean the litter box you need to lift the top sidewalls and put it aside. Then grab the four corners of the liner firmly and lift it, as the liner has small holes the clean litter will drop into the litter tray, leaving only the clumps inside the liner. During this process do not shake the liner, if you do, the dirty litter will get into the litter box creating odor problems. Once the sifting is done dispose of the liner in a trash bag.
The last liner at the bottom of the pack doesn’t feature holes and its purpose is transferring the litter to a new pack of liners. So when you sift the last liner it’s time to put a new pack of liners in the litter box. Just grab the last liner that contains all the litter and pour the litter into a container, place the new pack of liners in the plastic tray and then pour the litter back in. Or dispose of the litter if it’s too dirty and put new clean litter.
Does SpeedySift contain litter and urine?
SpeedySift has been designed in a way that no urine leaks, it all goes to the litter bed. The sidewalls are tall and contain most cat litter, urine, or feces. The corrugated plastic waterproof sidewalls are efficient in containing the urine (corrugated plastic is the material used for yard signs). In order to contain cat litter, the entryway is tall (7 inches) and could be a little steep for an elderly or disabled cat, but you can cut the entryway 1-2 inches off.
SpeedySift works for adult cats up to 20 lbs. Kittens could have a hard time accessing the litter box but you can adapt the entry by cutting off an inch or two. If your cat is the aggressive type when it comes to digging in the litter box and you don’t keep its claws trimmed regularly, the SpeedySift may not be suitable.
- Convenient and effective sifting system.
- No scooping, no scraping
- No contact with cat waste
- Large litter area accommodates most cats, up to 20 lbs.
- Clumps don’t get stuck on walls
- Made of waterproof 100% corrugated plastic that doesn’t leak
- The litter tray never gets dirty (the last liner protects the litter tray)
- High sides contain kicked cat litter, litter area much cleaner
- Urine and feces never go outside the litter box, no more litter box accidents
- Cats adjust easily to this litter box
- Lightweight top sidewalls is easy to remove to sift the litter
- Box-alike sidewalls entice cats to use the litter box
- The plastic liners may get shredded with a vigorous cat digger with long claws
- You still need to clean the sides (but they clean easily, just use a wet paper towel)
- The system doesn’t work without the branded liners
- It doesn’t come with a scoop (you don’t need a scoop anyway, only when securing the liners with the litter)
- Keep your cat’s claws trimmed to protect the liners from getting shredded.
- Pay attention to not picking two liners when picking the liner to sift, if you do, the double liner won’t allow the litter to be sifted.
My thoughts about SpeedySift Litter Box
SpeedySift is a very innovative solution for people that don’t like to scoop the litter box. The design is well-engineered and doesn’t allow litter or cat waste to go outside the litter box. The waterproof walls don’t leak urine either.
The drawback is the dependency of the liners, without liners, the system doesn’t work and if you currently scoop your cat litter box twice a day this means two liners per day. All in all, if you really like this system you can always buy the 12-pack deal that comes with 168 liners at a cost of $43.99 which will last for almost 3 months if you want to sift your cat litter box twice a day and over 5 months if you want to sift the box once a day.
I recommend the SiftySpeed litter box for any healthy adult cat that is not an aggressive digger.