I decided to make a review of the new Modkat XL because it has a unique design that can be used as a top-entry or front-entry litter box. So if you want to try a top-entry litter box but you are not sure if your kitty will adopt to it, you can adapt it for your cat to enter the litter box from the front.
- Versatility: You can use the Modkat XL as top-entry or front-entry litter box.
- Easy to switch: To make it front-entry just detach the front cover and snap on the step to convert it to front-entry.
- When used as top-entry it almost eliminates litter tracking. When used as front-entry, it reduces litter tracking.
- Swivel lid to open the litter box to scoop. Excess of litter that is sitting on top will drop into the litter box when folding the lid.
- Scratch-resistant reusable liners attach to the litter box by hooks fitting snugly inside the Modkat XL.
- The Modkat XL fits cats all sizes and it’s suitable for multi-cat use (ideally 2 cats).
- Dimensions: 21″ L x 16.5″ W x 17″ H.
- 30-Day guarantee
What you will receive with the Modkat XL
- Seamless litter box with removable frame
- Top Lid
- Front-entry kit: D reusable Liner and walk-off step
- Top-entry kit: C Reusable Liner
- Front entrance removable cover
How it works
The litter box can be set up in two ways depending if you want your kitty to access the litter box from the top or from the front. Either configuration uses tarp liner to hold the cat litter, but the liners are different for each set up.
The cat enters the litter box from top or front and does its business. When exiting the litter box the grate on the top lid removes most of the excess litter from the cat’s paws. If using it as a front-entry litter box, the installed step does this same job before the cat walks or jumps out the litter box.
When its time to clean you need to swivel the lid or remove it completely and scoop the litter box with the provided scoop. To scoop the litter clumps is much easier since the Modkat uses a liner so you get everything from the bottom without the need of hard scraping. When finished you can hang the scoop on either side of the litter box.
How to set up the Modkat XL
Top-entry set up
1. Install the frame on top of the base. The frame comes in two parts that are attached together. Make sure the frame fits firmly into the top of the base.
2. Put the top-entry liner using the frame’s hooks to hold it.
3. Put the lid on top.
4. Install the front cover.
Front-entry set up
1. Follow the above steps 1, 2, 3. (On step 2, use the front-entry liner instead).
2. Snap on the walk-off platform.
How wide is the entry on each set up?
Top-entry opening:10.25 in (26.0 cm) Widest point.
Front-entry opening: 8.25 in (21.0 cm) Wide. Distance from the ground to front-entry: 6.25 inches (15.9 cm).
How to clean the unit?
Detach all the pieces from the litter box and wipe them clean with a wet soft cloth or submerse them in warm water using a soft neutral soap. Empty the liner and submerge it in water with diluted dish soap for about 20 minutes, this will make sure the soap penetrates the liner’s seams. Line dry for 24 hours.
How long does a liner last?
The liner lasts up to 3 months with one cat. You may need to replace the liner sooner with more than a single cat if you have a feline that scratches a lot. Also, the liner may need to be replaced sooner if odors build up in the liner. Keep up with the cleaning of the litter box to avoid this.
What are the pros & cons of Modkat XL?
- Sturdy, good quality construction
- Large size suitable for larger cats
- Liners hold up to cat scratches, they are very strong and neat looking
- The clumps do scoop off the liner quite easily
- Nice height contains more litter when the cat is digging
- You can place this litter box in living areas because it fits into any decor and looks great on its own.
- The scoop slight curve shape allows for easier scooping.
- You can’t make the litter box only front-entry since the top opening is always open.
- It reduces litter tracking, but it doesn’t stop it
- Top entry lid doesn’t stay on tight.
- When set up as front entry the cat usually jumps out without stepping on the walk-off platform creating even more litter scattering.
- Liner needs to be replaced every 3 months (with one cat). Current price for 3 liners is $39.99.
- The holes of the scoop are too large to catch small litter crumbles.
- The scoop has a hollowed-out handle where the hollow is facing up, collecting litter while scooping out the box. This creates a litter mess.
- You may need to remove the lid to scoop more comfortably.
- It’s hard to hook and remove the liner from the hooks.
Modkat XL vs Modko Flip
What they have in common:
- Both, Modkat XL and Modko Flip feature a high-wall seamless base
- Both systems work with a reusable tarp liner.
- They both have a great design that blends with any decor.
- The Modkat XL lid does not fold up like the Flip so it doesn’t stay fully open, only half way. You may need to remove the lid to have more room to scoop.
- The Modkat XL’s hooks are built into the snap-in frame that holds the top lid. On the other hand, the Modkot Flip has removable hooks that clip on top of the box itself.
- The Modkat XL measures 21″ L x 16.5″ W x 17″ H and the Modko Flip measures 20″ L x 15″ W x 16.8″ H. The Modkat XL is a little larger than the Flip.
- Modkat XL weighs 9.48 pounds while the Modko Flip weighs 7.05 pounds. Both weights fully assembled.
- The price of the Modkat XL is almost double than the Flip.
Tips & Tricks to better use the Modkat XL
- You can use the litter box without liners. The scooping won’t be as easy but the litter box will still work as intended. However, the smell may buildup faster on the base.
- Since the Modkat XL liner is made of tarp material, it can’t be wash in dishwasher, dryer or washing machine. Make sure to get additional liners to have as backup.
The Modkat XL has been designed for cat owners that are not sure if the cat will adopt a top entry litter box and want to have the option to switch to a front-entry style. This is the only reason this option has been created since Modkat offers currently the top entry litter box and the Modko flip that offers the front-entry. However, XL is larger than the two previous versions so it can accommodate larger cats.
- If you have tried already the Modkot Flip and like it, I don’t recommend trying this one. In the end you will appreciate the Flip model better.
- If you have tried the top-entry Modkat and like it but it’s too small for your cat, this is a good option since it offers more room for your feline.
- If you want to introduce a top-entry litter box to your feline friend but you are not sure if it will work, the Modkat XL is a good alternative. If this litter box doesn’t work well for your kitty, the Company offers a 30-day guarantee, including purchasing from Amazon.
- I wouldn’t recommend this system if you don’t want to buy liners. For one cat you will need to spend approximately $39.99 every three months, without considering having a backup liner.