When you don’t have that “right” place where to put the cat litter box, corner litter boxes come to the rescue. Triangle shaped litter boxes provide the same functionality of the typical rectangular shaped litter box but you can place them in the corners to maximize your space. According to Dr. Borns-Weil, Board-Certified Animal Behaviorist, the litter box needs to be accessible for your cat and away from heavy foot traffic. Also, away from the feeding and sleeping areas since felines don’t like the vicinity of the litter box with these areas. Considering these requirements a corner in your house offers a great opportunity since they provide a quiet space for your cat to do its business. Here I made a list of the top five —hooded & open— corner litter boxes.
Check also: Best clumping cat litter for easy scooping.
Best Corner Cat Litter Boxes With Hood or Covered
If you have a messy cat who is a litter kicker or high sprayer you may want to get a hooded or covered litter box. The following are what I consider the top 3, but not all of them are suitable for all cats. Make sure you read my recommendations at the end to get the right one for your feline friend.
#1 Kitangle Corner Cat Litter Box – 4.8 stars rating
I consider the Kitangle corner cat box the top. This unit is handmade in the USA from a family owned company. This litter box is sturdy, made of heavy duty polypropylene plastic with UV protection and with a great design that doesn’t look like a litter box. Actually, you can just put it in plain view and it looks like part of the furniture. The corner angle is not too sharp fitting corners perfectly, using the most space of the corner. Kitangle comes in modern colors to blend with your decor and it has a large size but is not intrusive.
The Kitangle litter box doesn’t need liners but if you prefer using liners you can get the combo that comes with a custom sewn heavy duty rugged marine canvas (gray color) that you can wash (air dry) and reuse. This liner won’t slide, be too short or too tall because it’s a custom sewn liner that fits perfectly with the litter box, like a glove.
- Dimensions: Height: 16.5 in x Length: 17.75 in x Width: 25 in
- Entrance height: 6 inches
- Item weight: 9.09 lbs
- Beautiful design that looks like furniture
- The box is not huge, but provides a great space inside
- Wide angle uses the most space of corners
- Sturdy, made with heavy duty PP plastic
- High walls to contain litter or urine
- Seamless, no connections, snaps, lids where urine could leak or dry causing odors
- Removable lid for easy cleaning
- It doesn’t need liners
- Optional combo that includes a heavy duty canvas washable liner
- Removable lid could be knocked off if your cat is tall and likes to perch
- Price is steep
What I like about the Kitangle corner box:
Seamless and high sided! Since this unit features a lid rather than a hood, there’s no urine leaking through seams or between the hood and the base like other brands. Also, with its 16.5-in high wall it won’t be a problem for high spraying cats. Not mentioning that Kitangle is a modern, stylish litter box that you can put in plain view. It will not only look good but it won’t create odors since it’s seamless with no extra pieces that collect urine. Excellent for small, medium and large cats. See more details about this beautiful litter box on this link (Etsy affiliate link).
#2 Nature’s Miracle Hooded Corner Litter Box – 4.7 stars rating
Nature’s Miracle is a brand that it’s all about odor control. And as you guess, their hooded corner litter doesn’t do otherwise. This unit is made of sturdy non-stick plastic that features antimicrobial properties that impedes bacteria from harboring into the plastic. This makes it odor, mold and mildew resistant. This corner litter box provides enough room for your cat to do its business, maximizing the space in your house. As it is roomy, it’s ideal for cats of all of sizes. The latch-on top lid features an underside compartment to hold a charcoal filter, absorbing the molecules that cause bad odors. Filters last up to 3 months.
- Dimensions (w/hood): 27” Length x 23” Width x 20” height
- Dimensions tray: 26” Length x 23” Width x 10” Height
- Sides: 23 inches (each)
- Front (assembled): 27 inches
- Entrance height: 6.5 inches
- Item weight: 4.1 lbs
- Roomy and fits perfectly the corners
- Suitable for small and large cats
- Antimicrobial coating lasts for years
- Plastic with antimicrobial technology
- Comes with an odor-blocking charcoal filter.
- You can scoop the box without removing the lid, due to its wide entrance.
- Latching lid stays put no matter how much your cat plays with it
- Non-stick plastic easy to scoop and clean
- 10-in high bottom tray doesn’t work for cats that spray higher than that
- It doesn’t come with scoop (tip: get a plastic scoop to maintain the antimicrobial coating intact)
- Lid doesn’t have a handle
What I like about Nature’s Miracle:
Its price and odor control! You can afford this hooded litter box that accommodates small to large sized cats up to 20 lbs, providing good odor control. It may not look like part of the furniture in your living room, but who cares? If you have any corner where to put this baby your cat will be happy. Pay attention if your cat is afraid of bulky things, this litter box is huge. Check more details about this unit on Chewy website following this link.
#3 AmazonBasics Hooded Corner Litter Box Triangle – 4.6 stars rating
This is the standard corner hooded litter box distributed by Amazon. Due to this fact you may think the quality it’s pretty average but nope, the unit is well made. This is a spacious litter box that accommodates very large cats. The litter box is made of heavy-duty molded plastic ensuring the quality of construction. The litter box comes with a filter that gets inserted on the lid underside to help control odors. The lid features a “U” shape rim on the underside to prevent urine leaks. The base is very tall, ideal for high sprayers.
- Dimensions: 24.5” Width x 19.5” Length (front to back) x 20” Height
- Entrance height: 12 inches
- Entrance width: 11.25 inches
- Item weight: 4.03 lbs
- Easy to put together
- Large size, suitable for large cats up to 20 lbs.
- Excellent for multi-cat use
- The litter box doesn’t leak urine (make sure to hear the “click” when snapping the latches)
- Includes a filter to help with odors
- Handle to conveniently carry the litter box
- Removable top lid for full access to the inside when scooping
- Entrance is wide enough that you don’t need to remove the lid to scoop the litter box
- Good price
- Wide and tall entrance may not work well for litter kickers or cats with bad aiming
- It doesn’t come with a scoop
- Latches may not snap smoothly
- The angle of the triangle is round and not wide so it doesn’t fit perfectly into a corner.
- The unit can’t be lifted with cat litter inside of it
- This litter box is really big, make sure to check the dimension.
What I like about it:
The thing is huge and doesn’t leak! Perfect solution for super big cats (and multi-cat use) and for high sprayers. It provides a very roomy area for large cats to maneuver inside. Regarding design, the indented rim of the lid allows it be nested with the base, blocking cat urine from going outside the litter box.
Best Open Corner Cat Litter Boxes
Open litter boxes are easier to access to scoop them as well as pouring litter when needed. However, open litter boxes are not recommended for cats that spray very high. This list provides a final recommendation for the type of cat each brand is more suitable.
#4 Nature’s Miracle Advanced Corner Litter Box – 4.7 stars rating
The Nature’s corner open litter box is made of antimicrobial thick polypropylene that is odor and mold resistant. The highly polished plastic provides a non-stick surface that makes it very easy to scoop. The unit is large and can accommodate small and large cats. This corner litter box even though provides great space for your cat, it doesn’t use much space, the exterior is not bulky. The color is graphite with glitter.
- Dimensions: 26” Width x 23” Length x 10” Height
- Entrance height: 6.5 inches
- Item weight: 2 lbs
- Antimicrobial polypropylene coating ensures less odors and lasts for years
- Durable thick plastic
- Large area for your cat to do its business
- Suitable for multi-cat use
- Non-stick surfaces are easy to scoop
- High walls contain most of the litter and urine
- Small footprint in proportion with the size of the litter box
- Good price
- It doesn’t come with scoop
- Doesn’t work for cats that spray higher than 10 inches
What I like about it:
Odor control and size! This litter box will accommodate your big boy nicely. The plastic of which this litter box is made blocks nasty odor-causing bacteria from harboring inside it. The anti-microbial coating lasts for years, just make sure to use a plastic scoop to keep it intact.
#5 So Phresh High-Back Corner Litter Box – 4.5 stars rating
This litter box is made of durable polished gray polypropylene that is easy to clean. It features a lower 5-inch entrance that allows cats and kittens to have an easy access. The higher walls contain most of the cat litter and urine. This model is Extra Large size, suitable for large cats.
- Dimensions: Length 26.25” x Width 21.5” x Height 10”
- Entrance height: 5 inches
- Item weight: 2.05 lbs
- Higher back and sides contain litter scattering and urine (*check the “cons” for high spraying cats).
- Low entry ensures easy access for your cat or kitten
- Easy to scoop, litter clumps don’t stick to it
- Roomy for large cats or multi cat use
- Large, but doesn’t use much space
- Low price
- Low entry won’t stop litter scattering if your cat digs or kicks towards that direction.
- The walls contain urine very well but cats that spray higher than 10” may have litter box accidents.
What I like about it:
High walls and low entry! The walls of the litter box being high means it contains most of the cat litter or urine from going outside. The lower entry allows easy accessibility for older cats or kittens. This unit is very spacious too.
That’s all! Using a corner of your house to accommodate your cat litter box will allow you to maximize your space. Your cat will appreciate having privacy and in a traffic-free area where to do its business.