We usually look for stainless steel bowls for our cats but what about stainless steel litter boxes? How do they work? Are they really good at controlling odors and easy to clean? Here you will find the answer to these questions since I did a deep investigation about the iPrimio stainless steel litter box and came up with surprising conclusions. I must mention that there is an iPrimio non-stick version that is coated with a sort of PTFE material, but it’s not the same as the plain stainless steel version.
iPrimio stainless steel litter box features:
- Stainless steel doesn’t absorb urine odor and doesn’t rust
- Suitable for cats of any size
- Large dimension: 23.5” L x 15.5” W x 6” H
- Optional enclosure adds 6 extra inches, making a total of 12 inches tall, excellent for large cats
- The pan’s edge comes with two openings designed to hold the iPrimio scooper (scooper coming soon).
- Rubber feet at the bottom to make the litter box stay put
- Litter Box weight: 4.01 pounds
When you open the package:
You will find out that iPrimio stainless steel litter box comes with plastic protectors on each corner that are meant to protect the litter box during shipping. You can remove those and dispose of them. Also, the litter box comes with rubber feet that provide the litter box stability when your cat uses it. In case you buy the version with the enclosure, you will receive an extra piece that snaps on top of the litter box. It’s made of hard plastic and consists of a frame with three 6-inch walls that provide the litter box extra height for cats that have litter box accidents. The result is a 12-inch sided litter box with a lower entry, perfect for cats that tend to spray outside the litter box.
How good is the stainless steel?
iPrimio stainless steel is about 1/8” thick and it’s food grade. It’s the same steel used for cooking.
Can the cat scratch the iPrimio stainless steel litter box?
The stainless steel is durable and can’t get damage for the cat’s claws. If you put a low level of cat litter the stainless steel may experience slight superficial fine scratches. You can solve this by putting 2.5” to 3” of cat litter.
About scooping this litter box
iPrimio stainless steel litter box doesn’t feature non-stick properties so some litter clumps may get stuck but they can be easily scooped out without the need of applying pressure, unlike plastic litter boxes. We are talking about smooth stainless steel so if there is any wet litter stuck on the surfaces it can be easily removed and if you use a good quality metal scooper the task gets even easier.
How to clean the iPrimio
You can use any dish soap and the result will be great. Stainless steel is a resilient material to any type of cleaner, dish soap, and also bleach. You can even mix dish soap with a little vinegar for better results.
What I like about iPrimio stainless-steel litter box:
- Hygienic, stainless doesn’t harbor bacteria
- Way better odor control, stainless steel doesn’t absorb urine smell
- Litter clumps don’t stick to stainless steel as they do in plastic pans
- Good size, good for large cats weighing up to 15 pounds
- It comes with an optional 6-inch tall enclosure for high sprayers or messy cats
- Enclosure easy to put and remove
- Metal scoops don’t damage the litter box at all
- Rounded corners, easier to clean
- The litter box is easy on the hands, edges are not sharp
What I am not very fond about:
- The litter box doesn’t have a hooded-type enclosure
- Some units may show brown residues from the manufacturing process
- It seems like you can’t buy more than one pan at a time*
- Few customers complain receiving a damaged item (about 1.8%)
*The reason for this is due to the trays getting stuck when they are stack together during shipping, making it impossible to separate. The manufacturer is working to solve this issue.
Tips & tricks
- To make the scooping a breeze, use Slide Arm & Hammer cat litter, and get the iPrimio stainless steel scoop.
- If your cat is on the smaller side and doesn’t experience litter box accidents you can get a more economic alternative. The Winco full-size steam table pan is a good option if you want to save some bucks (check it on Amazon here). Consider that the Winco alternative it’s just a cooking pan so it doesn’t offer the enclosure. It’s 3 inches narrower and 3 inches shorter than the iPrimio litter box. I would suggest you to get this only if you have a small cat that doesn’t create a mess when using the litter box.
My final verdict
iPrimio stainless steel cat litter box is a hygienic option that controls odors much better and it’s easier to clean than conventional plastic litter boxes. The optional enclosure fits well on the litter box and it’s a great addition for cats that create a mess when using the litter box, either urinating or digging.
I recommend this litter box if you want a hygienic solution for your cat. Consider that this litter box is 15.5” wide so it could be a little narrow for cats weighing over 15 pounds.
Leave a Reply