I travel with my cat a lot and I was wondering what’s the best solution for the cat litter box while traveling. That’s the reason I decided to make a review of the Necoichi portable litter box to see if it’ll work for my kitty. Carrying a regular litter box back and ford from the car to the hotel room is not very convenient. After analyzing this portable litter box I found out all the information you need to decide if this is the solution you need for your particular cat.
Features of Necoicho Portable Cat Box
- Good solution on the road or during flight connections
- Water-proof seamless liner
- Resistant to scratches
- Inner fabric easy to wipe clean and hand wash
- Litter box folds flat and snaps closed for easy storage
- Litter box dimension: 15” x 5.1” x 11”
- Dimensions when folded: 7.5” x 2.8” x 4.5”
How it works
Necoichi portable litter box can be folded during traveling and unfold it to use as a regular litter box. You just need to unfasten the snaps to unfold the litter box, ideally put a liner in it, pour in litter and your cat will do its business as usual. This litter box matches nicely with the Necoichi portable cage and it fits perfectly inside of it, ideal for kittens and small cats. The Necoichi cage is sold apart.
How to clean it
The inside material of the litter box is hand washable, you can wipe it clean with a damp cloth. I suggest using liners that are easy to dispose so the fabric doesn’t have direct contact with the cat waste. I don’t recommend washing the portable litter box in the washing machine because the snap fasteners could not work well after the washing process, plus the washable material is not suitable for the dryer.
What are the pros & cons of Necoichi portable litter box?
The following list of pros and cons provide a very good idea about the suitability of this item, in case you are not sure if this will work for your cat.
- Easy to set up
- Cute and well made
- Folds flat to a small square for easy storage and carry
- Snaps fasteners close well
- Water-proof seamless liner that is easy to clean
- Good solution for short and long trips with the cat
- It fits in most crates and it’s easy to take out of it
- Easy to empty to dispose litter
- Convenient temporary litter box. You set it up, your cat uses it, you empty it, and fold it away.
- It doesn’t use much room
- Practical litter box solution when waiting at the airport
- Most cats use this litter box with no problem.
- Great value for money
- The litter box is small
- The inside fabric is not easy to clean on the go, litter sticks on the material (better to use with liners).
- Matching portable cage is small for a regular sized cat, better for kittens
- Wire on frame is not that sturdy, walls tend to collapse
- Bottom is not rigid
- Litter box is not meant to be carried with litter inside, only used on the spot and then empty it.
- The litter box gets pretty dirty if not used with a liner so it’s recommended using a liner for quick disposal after use.
- A good tip is carrying a bag with litter and just place it inside the litter box, after your cat uses it, just scoop it and grab the bag with clean litter for another use. Fold the litter box and you’re ready to go.
- In case you don’t want to use a liner, make sure to flip out the inside to clean deeply.
My final thoughts about Necoichi Portable Litter Box
Necoichi Portable litter box is the ideal solution for a temporary litter box for your cat to do its business when you are traveling. You can set up the litter box inside the car on the back seat (with a liner with litter), inside a crate or simply use it in the hotel when it’s time to stop. If you have a long flight connection you can take your cat to the bathroom and make it use this litter box as well, disposing the bag in the trash.
I wouldn’t suggest using this item as a permanent litter box since the materials may experience fatigue with overuse. This unit is intended to be used as a portable temporary solution mainly. There are many good litter box solutions in the market for a cat to use on a daily basis that will last much longer than a portable litter box.
Even though the Necoichi litter box features wires on the edges, it doesn’t stay very rigid and it needs a liner with litter inside to hold it firmer. It’s recommended using it with liner anyway because it’s more hygienic and convenient solution on the go. All and all, this is a practical portable litter box that provides your cat a toilet where to go during trips, and for a good price.
I recommend this portable litter box for kittens and small adult cats. I don’t recommend it for large sized felines.
Check also: How to relax your cat when traveling