DESCRIPTIONThe CatGenie is a self-flushing, self-washing cat box. This is an innovative concept in automatic cat litter boxes because it works as a “cat toilet” flushing the waste away, cleaning and drying the cat box and litter so it’s ready to be used over and over again.
Washable litter is permanent; it does not have to be changed and it consists in granules that look like regular cat litter. With this system you never have to touch or buy cat litter again.
The CatGenie 120 features 3 different settings: “Cat Start” with automatic cleaning 10 minutes after the cat uses it, “Auto Start” in which you can setup 1, 2, 3 or 4 times a day, leaving the area sanitized and “Push Start” in which the unit can be flushed any time manually. The CatGenie has a child lock mode to prevent accidental starts. The unit works with biodegradable and recyclable SaniSolution cartridge for cleansing and it holds enough SaniSolution for at least 120 washes.
- Full automatic process of scooping, flushing waste away and washing itself clean.
- Reusable litter-like washable granules for your cat to dig and cover
- Suitable for no more than 3 average sized cats from 6 months age.
- It requires hookup to cold water line, wastewater drain and electrical outlet
- Unit includes biodegradable SaniSolution cartridge and washable granules.
- Product Dimensions approx: 25.8 x 22.4 x 13.8 inches
- Weight approx: 25 lbs.(Includes Processing Unit, 11 lbs. Base Unit, 14 lbs)
- Power Requirements (North America): 120VAC, 60Hz (15A Fused)
- Power Requirements (Europe): 230VAC, 50Hz (8A Fused)
- Power Consumption: 20W (Cleaning Cycle-17Minutes) 1200W (Drying Cycle-17 Minutes)
- Included supplies last approximately 3 months for one cat and about 2 months for 2 cats.
- The product is covered by a 90 day money-back guarantee and 2 year warranty.
WHAT COMES WITH THE UNIT?
- The CatGenie litter box
- Utility or Laundry Room T-Adapter
- Bathroom or Powder Room T-Adapter
- SaniSolution Cartridge
- Washable Granules
- Sidewalls, to stop litter from falling
- Cat Dome, to contain litter and male cats urine (note: not suitable for big cats over 15 lbs)
HOW TO HOOK UP THE SYSTEM?
The CatGenie is hooked up to a cold water line and to a waste-water drain such as toilette or washer’s drain pipe and it is plugged to an electrical outlet. The unit includes everything you need to install the CatGenie. It comes with T-adapters to hook up the device whether to a laundry room or to the bathroom. The only tools needed are a wrench or a pair of pliers. Additional parts may be required with non-standard hookups.
UNPACKING & INSTALLING THE CATGENIE
HOW DOES THE CATGENIE 120 WORK?
When your cat does his business the urine drains away from the granules so basically only the waste gets flushed. The process starts with a GenieHand that scoops out the solid waste, this waste is deposited in a chamber located in the hopper while fresh water fills the box and this waste is turned into liquid by an impeller for safe and easy removal. This waste-liquid is drained through the washer drain pipe (which connects directly into sewer or septic tank) in case of the Laundry room or through the toilet (hooked to the toilet rim).
Once the waste and dirty water are drained away more spinning rinse cycles continue while SaniSolution disinfects everything. Finally a hot-air blower fully dries the granules and box. This process takes 34 minutes in total, 17 minutes in cleaning cycle and 17 minutes in drying cycle. The result is a clean and disinfected litter box ready to be used again.
WATCH HOW THE CATGENIE WORKS (video has been sped up)
As mentioned previously, the CatGenie has 3 settings: “Cat Start” (or Cat Activation), “Auto Start” and “Push Start”.
1. CAT START (cat activation): It cleans the litter box 10 minutes after your cat has used it. Special eyes-sensors detect the cat when leaving the litter box so if the cat does not leave the litter area the cleaning cycle won’t start; it will only be activated once the cat leaves the unit. Also, if another cat needs to use the litter box right after his “buddy”, the unit resets and delays for another 10 minutes.
When set in “Cat Start” (or Cat Activation) the CatGenie works based in two modes: Active Mode and Sleep Mode. Active Mode lasts 14 hours straight, where the unit will clean the cat’s waste automatically. The other 10 hours the machine is in “Sleep Mode”, this means it won’t clean the waste if the cat uses it. This feature allows you to sleep, because eliminates cleaning cycle’s noises at night. However, you can push a manual cleaning anytime you want during sleep mode. Next day when the system switches automatically to Active Mode again, it will clean the cat’s waste if there is any.
When set in “Cat Start” the SaniSolution cartridge automatically switches from 120 washes to 240. This is because as the unit cleans and flushes the waste immediately, it needs less solution per wash. This “Cat Start” or Cat Activation setting is more suitable for one cat or two at the most. Multiple cats means more cleaning cycles (34 minutes each cycle) so this could create problems if other cats want to use the machine while in cleaning cycle. The unit running almost all day is another consideration to take.
2. AUTO START: Gives you the option to run the CatGenie from 1 to 4 times a day, depending on the number of cats. When choosing a self cleaning litter box multiple cats you need to keep a balance between the cleanliness and energy efficiency. That’s why this mode is suitable for multi-cat households. Auto Start means the cleaning cycle won’t start after a cat uses the litter box and instead, the unit will run every 6, 8, 12 or 24 hours per day, depending on the number of cleaning cycles you program the device to run (4, 3, 2, 1 times a day).
As the unit does not feature a digital timer, once programmed it will start automatically at the pre-set cleaning times, so you have to program the CatGenie at one of the times you actually want the machine to start a cleaning cycle. For example, if you want the CatGenie to clean 2 times a day and to start cleaning at 1 pm and then at 1 am, you have to program the Auto Setup at either 1 pm or 1 am. It is a good idea to observe the cats’ habits for an optimal programming. On Auto Start setting the SaniSolution cartridge lasts for 120 washes.
3. PUSH START: Allows you to start a cleaning cycle anytime you want by only pushing the start button. This is a good complement to other setting options, for example during a Sleep Mode in Cat Start setting or between Auto Start cycles. This is a good option if your cat is sick and you want to check its eliminations. On this setting the SaniSolution cartridge lasts for 120 washes.
IS THE CATGENIE 120 ADOPTED EASILY BY CATS?
Cats in general don’t switch easily to new systems and especially automatic systems with movements and noises. However, cats do have the ability to take to new automatic litter boxes if they are introduced properly.
CatGenie includes a “Cat Acclimation Guide” that is important not to skip. It might take a long time for your cat to accept the litter box but a lot of patience and strategy needs to be applied on this. If you introduce the CatGenie to cats properly they seem to adopt it pretty good and use it consistently. Some cats might not accept the unit at all; every cat is unique and when it comes to felines nothing can be guaranteed. You may want to check my article how to make your cat to use a self cleaning litter box where you will find the top brands and learn how to make a good transition for your cat.
CATGENIE 120 VS THE ORIGINAL 60 VERSION:
- The CatGenie 120 GenieHand has a better design and quality to prevent breakage.
- Hair build up prevention system.
- Easy maintenance of the unit by inserting a Machine Maintenance Cartridge and push a button (no need manual cleaning of the unit and it keeps the water sensor from buildup is what is stated by manufacturer)
- Improved bowl that eliminates granule build up under the bowl.
- Biodegradable 120 Sanisolution that double the washes to 240 on cat activation mode.
SUPPLIES AND ENVIRONMENT
The washable granules and cartridges have an additive that allows plastic-loving bacteria to degrade the plastics. The Cartridge Cases biodegrade in less than 10 years. If some washable granules go to a septic system they will biodegrade within 9 months, and two years in landfills.
PROS & CONS OF CATGENIE SELF-WASHING CAT BOX
Here a list of the advantages and the disadvantages of the CatGenie so you can decide with better information:
- A fully automatic solution for scooping and disposing the waste.
- Programmable automatic flushing keeps the unit clean and disinfects the area.
- Good for households with 1 or 2 cats.
- Easy to set up
- Good construction and quality.
- No contact with the litter.
- Hypoallergenic and environment friendly litter.
- Unit works as advertised.
- Good for a trip as it takes care automatically of litter box.
- It does not work well if your cat defecates soft feces that might stay on the device (cleaning cycle might pulverize them causing very bad smell).
- The system might get clogs after some period of time (this does not happen always).
- In order to deep clean the unit you need to fully disassemble it and it takes time.
- Biodegradable litter does not cover up the cat feces and urine odor.
- Lots of tracking granules
- Loud and long cleaning cycles
Tips to use the CatGenie:
- Make sure that you have a space large enough to locate the unit.
- Clean the unit with the Machine Maintenance Cartridge at least 4 times a year to keep water sensor from buildup and the box from clogging.
- Customers prefer unscented SaniSolution instead scented.
- If you have a kitten get the Dome to protect your cat from playing during the cleaning cycle.
- If your cat is a digger or if your feline sprays or urinates on sides it is a good investment to get the Dome and Sidewalls.
- Have always enough supplies to make sure the unit will always work. Without supplies, the unit does not work.
- Get a good mat to reduce some of the litter tracking.
√ I recommend CatGenie in these cases:
- If you want a fully automatic cat litter box (no scooping, no disposing waste)
- Households with 1 or 2 cats maximum
- If your cat defecates firm stools
- If you have enough space in your bathroom or laundry room
- Ideally to be installed in a basement bathroom or guests bathroom.
x I would not recommend this cat box:
- To be used for more than adult 2 cats.
- Small houses or apartments.
- For cats that defecate very soft feces.
- A very playful kitten.
- If you can’t clean & maintain the unit periodically (possible clogs if you don’t).
- If you don’t like noises (dry cycle spinning)