I decided to make a review of Petmate Booda cat litter box because it’s a smart designed solution for messy cats that kick a lot of litter when doing their business. Also, the unit is fairly large, without looking too bulky and out of place in any room. The design perfectly conceals the cat mess and at the same time, provides your feline friend the privacy it appreciates when doing its business.
- Enclosed type litter box provides cats privacy
- Grooved steps remove excess litter from the cat’s paws
- Charcoal filter strategically located on top traps the odor as it rises
- A nice design that can be placed anywhere in the house
- Easier to scoop non-stick plastic litter pan with no sharp corners
- The cover lid features a handle for easy lifting
- Accommodates cats of all sizes
- Good for multi-cat households
- It helps to keep dogs out of the litter box
- It uses liners (12-pack liners are sold separately)
- Dimensions: 21″ x 21″ x 19″ (50% larger than a regular litter pan).
- Door dimension: 7 1/2″ Wide x 13″ High (from floor to top of the arch)
- Colors: Pearl White, Brushed Nickel, and Titanium
- Made in the USA
How it works
Petmate Booda Clean Step litter box consists of two halves, top, and bottom. The top lid features a built-in handle on the top center with a molded compartment to hold a charcoal filter. The location of the filter is smart because it traps the odors as it rises from the litter box. The lid is easy to lift and put back in, making the cleaning process a breeze.
The bottom base features grooved stairs that clean the cat’s paws when exiting the litter box. The litter pan is right next to the stairs. The litter area is shaped like a half-moon, measuring 12″ wide x 12″ long. This area offers plenty of room for cats of most sizes.
How to clean the Petmate Booda Litter Box
To clean the unit simply lift the top lid using the handle. You won’t need to unlatch anything since the lid just sits on top of the bottom base. Then you can simply scoop the litter box.
To wash it, you can hose it off in summer or use the bathtub to submerge the unit completely. You can also wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
- It keeps litter contained in the litter box
- Stairs clean the cat’s paws before the cat steps on the floor/carpet
- The charcoal filter traps odors as it rises from the litter box
- Good for cats of all ages
- It keeps medium-sized dogs out of the litter box
- The waste is hidden away and out of sight
- Cats prefer this litter box over the standard type
- It keeps the litter box odors at bay
- The litter pan is large enough for most cats
- The enclosure gives cats privacy
- Non-stick plastic and round corner-free litter area makes it easier to scoop
- Liners don’t fit and don’t stay put
- Some shy cats could be afraid to get in
- The lid doesn’t securely lock on (easier to lift and put back on though)
- It could be too large for small apartments (check dimensions before buying)
- Mischievous cats could pull the filter off the top lid
- Some cats may use the stairs to do their business
- If a cat points out towards the stairs to urinate, urine can end up on the stairs (most likely males)
- Since the liners don’t fit well and neither say put due to the cat’s weight and digging, it’s a good idea not to use any liner. Simply use a good clumping cat litter at least 2 inches high. As the bottom of the litter box is slippery the waste rarely sticks to the bottom of the litter box.
- You can use the Petmate Booda Dome cat litter box as a hide-away cat house, placing the cat bed inside where the litter pan is.
- If your cat is reluctant about this litter box, place it with no lid for at least a week. Your cat will use it and get used to it. After that place the top lid.
Petmate Booda Clean Step litter box is a well-designed unit that conceals the cat litter box with its nice design, provides cats privacy, and features the steps that clean the cat paws, eliminating the litter mess around the box.
Consider that the top lid doesn’t snap on the bottom of the unit so it may be subject to being knocked over by a mischievous cat or a dog.
I recommend the Petmate Booda Cat litter box:
- For cats weighing up to 14 lbs, ideally.
- Small kittens
- For multi-cat households
- To keep a medium or large-sized dog out of the litter box
This unit may not be suitable:
- If you have a cat that likes to manipulate/move/pull objects (a cat could knock the lid off or remove the filter)
- For playful larger kittens
- For male cats that tend to urinate horizontally (urine may go to the stairs)
- To keep away a very playful dog
If you like this litter box design, check also: Pidan Snow House cat litter box .