The Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box is designed for multi cat households under 15 pounds. With an extra high walls to keep waste inside the box and off the floor.
It has a removable automatic rake for easy cleaning and motion sensors that activate cleaning cycle, safety bar to stop rake in case of blockage.
It runs on current or 8 AA batteries as backup in case of power outage, so battery option should not be used as main power source.
HOW IT WORKS:
The LitterMaid Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box automatically scoops your cat litter box 10 minutes after the pet has used it, collecting the waste into a sealed, disposable receptacle while a carbon filter activates to absorb odors.
The 10-minute delay cleaning cycle is triggered by timed dual-motion sensors that activate by your cat’s movement when your pet is entering the litter box. If the cat re-enters the unit, the machine will reset and start an extra 10-minute delay for a new cleaning cycle. Also, you can choose manual activation for an immediate clean.
- High Wall
- Plastic Rake
- Paw Cleaning Ramp
- Included Scoop/Rake Cleaner
- Safety Bar
- Dual setup in Automatic or Manual Activation
- Holds 50% more litter
- Waste Receptacles (4)
- Carbon Filters (4)
Pros and Cons of the Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning ?
- The Littermaid rake automatically scoops along the litter.
- It helps to reduce the amount of scooping necessary to maintain a clean litter.
- New design that lets you with the push of 2 buttons remove the rake off for easy cleaning.
- Rake has better scooping ability than previous Littermaid version.
- Unit has 10 minutes delay to allow cats leave the litter box without getting scared because of the motor activity and noise.
- It has a ramp designed to make the cat walking on it without leaving the litter tracking on the floor.
- This Littermaid version is longer, wider and deeper than the older.
- Collects waste much more quickly than doing it manually.
- Motor noise is loud.
- There is scooping task that still needs to be done (e.g. on sides)
- Soft feces get stuck in the rack.
- This machine doesn’t handle urine as well as feces.
- Some customers report that the unit stopped working and it wasn’t fast to get the replacement.
- The waist storage container is very small for two cats ( check here the Litter Works disposal system that works with any Littermaid and can hold waste up to 2 weeks with one cat)
- Litter box depth is not enough to put the recommended 2-3 inches of litter.
Tips For A Better Use Of The Littermaid LM980
- Always keep the litter somewhere between the 2 red lines indicated on the side. If you put too much your Littermaid will possibly go crazy moving the rake back and forth, without stopping, and it will end up collecting large amounts of litter at the back of the box.
- If the power interrupts, resets the unit to “off”.
- Make sure not to get the sensor eye wet. This can damage the machine.
- Use good clumping litter and not to over fill the box, otherwise you will be putting a strain on the rake and motor.
- If you have the unit close to the bedroom, turn it off at night. This unit is not extremely loud, but if you are a light sleeper this might wake you up.
This is a good solution if you want an extra help in scooping your cat litter box daily, but if you are thinking about eliminating your physical contact with cat litter and waste, I don’t recommend you to buy it.
√ I recommend it for one cat and only in these situations:
- If you want an extra help to the scooping litter box task.
- If you want to use it occasionally when going away couple of days.
- If your cat does not have stool problems or either urinate excessively.
- If your cat does not get scared to noises.
- If you or your cat can handle the Littermaid motor noise.
- If you don’t mind to buy receptacles for replacement.
√ I do not recommend it in these situations:
- If you want a 100% automatic scooping solution (still needs maintenance).
- If you want to buy it because you don’t want to have contact with your cat waste.
- For a multiple cats household
- Cats that urinate more than normal or with stool problems.
- If you don’t want to deal with replacements.
- If you want a product that lasts several years.