Littermaid LM980 Automatic Litter Box Review
The Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box is designed for multi-cat households, suitable for cats weighing under 15 pounds. This unit features extra high walls to keep waste inside the box and off the floor. It has a removable automatic rake for easy cleaning and dual motion sensors that detect the cat’s body. It also provides a safety bar to stop the rake in case of blockage.
The Littermaid LM980 runs on AC current or 8 x AA size batteries as a backup in case of power outage, so battery option should not be used as main power source.
- High Walls
- Plastic Rake
- Paw Cleaning Ramp
- Included Scoop/Rake Cleaner
- Safety Bar
- Dual setup with Automatic or Manual Activation
- Holds 50% more litter
- Waste Receptacles (4)
- Carbon Filters (4)
- Dimensions: 9.8 H x 17.7 W x 27 L in
- Weight: 13.23 lbs
Note: If you need more receptacles and carbon filters, check the Littermaid Multicat review. It’s the same LM980 unit, but it comes with more supplies.
HOW IT WORKS
The LitterMaid Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box automatically scoops your cat litter box 10 minutes after the cat uses it, collecting the waste into a sealed, disposable receptacle while a carbon filter activates to absorb odors.
The 10-minute delay cleaning cycle is triggered by timed dual-motion sensors that activate by your cat’s movement when your pet is entering the litter box. If the cat re-enters the unit, the machine will reset and start an extra 10-minute delay for a new cleaning cycle. Also, you can choose manual activation for an immediate clean.
Watch the Littermaid LM980 Cleaning Cycle
Pros and Cons of the Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning?
Checking the Pros and Cons of an electronic device is very important to make the right decision when getting a product:
- The Littermaid rake automatically scoops the litter clumps.
- Less contact with cat waste
- Rake made from hard plastic that gets less dirty than metal
- It reduces the amount of scooping necessary to maintain the litter box clean
- New design that lets you with the push of 2 buttons remove the rake off for easy cleaning.
- Rake has better scooping ability than previous Littermaid version.
- 10-minute wait time allows cats to leave the litter box without getting scared because of the motor noise.
- Ramp removes the excess of litter from the cat’s paws, reducing litter tracking.
- This Littermaid Mega version is longer, wider and deeper than the older.
- Motor noise is loud.
- There is scooping task that still needs to be done (e.g. on sides)
- Soft feces get stuck in the rack (spray cooking oil on the litter tray solves this)
- This machine doesn’t handle urine as well as feces.
- Some customers report that the unit stopped working and it wasn’t fast to get the replacement.
- The waste storage is very small for two cats (check the Litter Works review which is an accessory for the Littermaid that allows you to go for a week before emptying the litter box).
- Litter box depth is not enough to put the recommended 2-3 inches of litter.
Tips For A Better Use Of The Littermaid LM980
- Always keep the litter somewhere between the 2 red lines indicated on the side. If you put too much your Littermaid will possibly go crazy moving the rake back and forth, without stopping, and it will end up collecting large amounts of litter at the back of the box.
- If the power interrupts, resets the unit to “off”.
- Make sure not to get the sensor eye wet. This can damage the machine.
- Use good clumping litter and not to overfill the box, otherwise, you will be putting a strain on the rake and motor.
- If you have the unit close to the bedroom, turn it off at night. This unit is not extremely loud, but if you are a light sleeper this might wake you up.
This is a good solution if you want an extra help in scooping your cat litter box daily, but if you are thinking about eliminating your physical contact with cat litter and waste, I don’t recommend you to buy it.
√ I recommend it for one cat and only in these situations:
- If you want an extra help to the scooping litter box task.
- If you want to use it occasionally when going away a couple of days.
- If your cat does not have stool problems or either urinate excessively.
- If your cat does not get scared of noises.
- If you or your cat can handle the Littermaid motor noise.
- If you don’t mind to buy receptacles for replacement.
x I do not recommend it in these situations:
- If you want a 100% automatic scooping solution (still needs maintenance).
- If you want to buy it because you don’t want to have contact with your cat waste.
- For a multiple cats household
- Cats that urinate more than normal or with stool problems.
- If you don’t want to deal with replacements.
- If you want a product that lasts several years.
- If you are sensitive to noises.
- If you are planning to place this litter box in your bedroom or close to it.