I chose to review Castor & Pollux Organix chicken & sweet potato formula because it’s the only cat food (that I know of) that uses 95% of organic USDA certified ingredients. One of the most important ingredients in this formula, chicken meal, is organic too so your cat will eat a concentrated source of protein that is 100% organic.
- Grain-free and gluten-free formula
- No corn or soy
- Organic free-range chicken & chicken meal as first 2 ingredients
- Organic peas and sweet potatoes
- Immune-boosting blend including flax-seeds, cranberries and coconut oil.
- Packaged with all the vitamins & minerals cats need
- Naturally sourced Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin, heart, joints and shiny coat.
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- No chemicals or synthetic fertilizers, no pesticides
- Formula with no added hormones or antibiotics
- For all life stages
- Cooked in USDA-accredited organic certified USA kitchens
Organic Chicken, Organic Chicken Meal, Organic Pea Protein, Organic Sweet Potatoes, Organic Peas, Organic Chickpeas, Organic Tapioca, Organic Sunflower Seed Meal, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Organic Flax-seed, Organic Chicken Liver, Organic Dried Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Taurine, Salmon Oil, Organic Cranberries, Potassium Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product.
3,739 kcal/kg, 412 kcal/cup
Crude Protein (min.) 32% – Crude Fat (min.) 14% – Crude Fiber (max.) 3.5% – Moisture (max.) 11% – Taurine (min) 0.10% – Omega-6 fatty acid* (min) 2.50% – Omega-3 fatty acid* (min) 0.30%
Rating of 5 First Ingredients of Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken & Sweet Potato
Organic Chicken: Organic free-range chicken provides essential amino-acids, fatty acids and minerals. However, when the chicken is weighed it contains 84% of water weight, adding less real percentage to the dry food formula.
Organic Chicken Meal: Organic concentrated source of highly digestive proteins. This meal is made of flesh and bones which is essential for a cats diet.
Organic Pea Protein: Good source of vegetable protein and essential amino acids. Organic means free of chemicals.
Organic Sweet Potato: It provides carbohydrates for energy, containing less sugar than beets. A good option to regular potatoes. Free of pesticides.
Organic Peas: It provides a good source of vegetable protein, carbs for energy and fiber for a better digestion, all free of pesticides.
Note: The above rating analysis of the main 5 ingredients is meant to rate each ingredient, individually. The combination and position of these in the formula makes it a good or bad recipe for cats.
Pros & Cons of Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken & Sweet Potato Formula
The following are the list of advantages and disadvantages of this organic formula. Take them into consideration to choose this recipe for your cat.
- Grain-free formula
- Gluten-free (gluten is not well tolerated by cats and cause allergies and other diseases)
- Formula 95% USDA-certified organic
- No by-products.
- No chemicals, no artificial flavor, colors or preservatives
- Organic chicken meal provides a highly concentrated source of proteins (as the 2nd ingredient)
- Low glycemic carbs in the main 5 ingredients
- With healthy fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6
- With vitamins and minerals essential for all life stages
- With immune-boosting blend (cranberries, flax-seed and coconut oil)
- Good balance of protein and fats in the formula
- It contains organic tapioca as the 7th ingredient. Tapioca is high glycemic.
- It contains peas and sweet potatoes in the first 5 ingredients. Both are carbohydrate sources. It could be less.
- Pea protein is a good ingredient, but it’s better further down the list. Essential amino-acids are better coming from animal sources.
Castor & Pollux Organic Chicken & Sweet Potato is a formula which best merit is being almost completely USDA-certified organic. This means it’s a formula free of toxic pesticides and harmful synthetic ingredients.
All dry foods need a starch ingredient to create the kibble, so it’s understandable that they all contain a source of carbohydrate, but in this case it would have been enough the sweet potatoes ingredient and the pea protein, without adding the extra carbs peas, chickpeas and tapioca. Too many carbs are not good for cats, especially adult cats.
Castor & Pollux Organic Chicken & Sweet Potato has a long list of benefits being almost totally organic and grain-free, but the fact that cats shouldn’t eat too many carbs, makes this formula a little risky, especially for indoor-only cats.
Get it on Amazon and if you subscribe you can save up to 10%.
Chewy offers 30% saving on your first Autoship and fast shipping in orders over $49.