Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod recipe is a dry formula that provides your cat the necessary proteins without excess of carbohydrates.
The formula is grain-free and with 83% animal-based proteins with grain-free chicken and cod provides a flavor that most cats like.
Nulo provides cats a good source of proteins without containing too much calories.
- Grain-free: The formula doesn’t contain grains, white potatoes or tapioca.
- Lower in carbs and with low glycemic ingredients.
- Animal source of protein represents 83% of total formula.
- The kibble are small and disk shape, easier for cats to chew.
- Kibble have a texture and taste that cats love.
- Patented BC30 probiotic supports gastrointestinal health in cats.
- Omega 3 & 6: these essential fatty acids enhances health of skin and promotes a shiny coat.
- The recipe provides cats the energy they need to stay active with better carbohydrate options, such as lentils and peas.
- Vitamins A, C & E and minerals to support your cat’s body functions
- Taurice to support eyes and heart health
- Guarantee: If your cat doesn’t like Nulo, you can bring the unused portions, packaging and receipt back to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Deboned Cod, Whole Peas, Lentils, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid), Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Ground Flaxseed, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Kelp, Dried Sweet Potato, Dried Cranberries, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Iron Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.
(ME calculated) 3,868 kcal/kg, 486 kcal/cup
Crude Protein (Min): 40.0% – Crude Fat (Min): 20.0% – Crude Fiber (Max): 4.0% – Moisture (Max): 10.0% – Calcium (Min): 1.10% – Phosphorus (Min) 0.9% – Vitamin A (Min): 2,250 IU/kg – Vitamin E (Min): 300 IU/kg – Taurine (Min): 0.2% – Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (Min): 3.40% – Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (Min): 0.55% – Asboric Acid (Vitamin C)* (Min): 65 mg/kg – Bacillus coagulans (Min): 80,000,000 CFU/lb
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.
Contains a source of viable naturally occurring microorganisms.
ANALYSIS OF FIRST 5 INGREDIENTS OF NULO FREESTYLE CHICKEN & COD
Deboned Chicken: Deboned could be understood as higher quality but this meat is filled with water so the meat has been weighed before cooking which means water adds weight to the proportion of the formula and not fully protein. 3 stars
Chicken Meal: Meal means the meat has been cooked to high temperature and pulverized, adding high amounts of protein to the formula. Chicken is an excellent source of proteins for cats. 5 stars
Turkey Meal: Meal indicates turkey meat has been cooked and pulverized which means it’s a concentrated source of proteins. 4 stars
Deboned Cod: This is a good protein alternative to add further down the list of ingredients. 4 stars
Whole Peas: This is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, vegetable protein and fiber. 5 stars
What are the Pros and Cons of Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod recipe?
- Low glycemic formula without grains, white potatoes, rice or tapioca.
- With 83% animal based proteins (no vegetable proteins)
- Peas and lentils included in the formula are the most suitable complex carbs for cats
- Only one fish source of protein in the formula
- With Omega 3 & 6
- Vitamins and minerals to maintain healthy cat’s body functions
- Phosphorus is lower than 1% (min)
- Cod has moderate levels of mercury (but it’s further down on the list)
- Formula doesn’t list all the essential aminoacids on the Guaranteed Analysis
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod is in general a good formula for cats. The average rate of this cat food considering the 3 first ingredients is 4 stars, which is very good. However, the recipe only lists 2 of the 11 essential amino acids, which is Methionine and Taurine, but only Taurine is listed on the Guaranteed Analysis.
A good point of this cat food is that Phosphorus is 0.9% (lower than 1%), which is good because it prevents the formation of crystals in the cat’s urine. However, the amount of Phosphorus could be even lower as this is the minimum content in the Guaranteed Analysis.
As I’ve stated in previous reviews it’s not healthy to feed cats only dry food. The cat’s diet must be complemented with wet food and provide cats plenty of fresh water available at all times.
Also, check the recommended amounts of food according to your cat’s age and weight. Overeating also increases risks of diseases.
Nulo Chicken & Cod is a very good cat food for a maintenance diet. However, it doesn’t list all the essential amino acids on their Guaranteed Analysis, so I believe it’s not suitable for feeding your pet on a long term diet.
With all that, this is an excellent cat food for you to change your cat’s usual dry food and it’s always good to rotate different brands and meats for your cat not to develop food allergies.