Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Duck Recipe wet canned food doesn’t contain the typical proteins present in most cat foods. That’s why I got this one because I put my cat Sophie on a chicken-free, egg-free, and seafood-free diet for a few months to prevent food allergies. To complement this diet with a dry food recipe I bought Wellness Core Grain-Free Turkey and Duck recipe. After researching wet cat foods free of any typical food allergen I decided to get this formula. This is my review.
Key Nutritional Features
- Cage-free duck as the first ingredient provides more proteins.
- 95% flesh-meats (duck & turkey liver) and 5% vegetables and fruits.
- No high glycemic carbs such as potato or tapioca.
- No by-products
- Free of artificial colors or preservatives.
- With natural sources of fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6
- Calorie content: 1,250 kcal/kg, 195 kcal/5.5 oz can, 106 kcal/3 oz can
- Made in the USA with ingredients from around the world.
Instinct Original Grain-free Pate Real Duck Recipe Ingredients:
Duck, Turkey Liver, Duck Broth, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Peas, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Salt, Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Guaranteed Analysis Instinct Original Pate Real Duck
Crude Protein 9.0% min – Crude Fat 7.0% min – Crude Fiber 3.0% max- Moisture 78.0% max – Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.2% min – Omega-6 Fatty Acids 1.0% min.
Analysis of First 5 Ingredients of Instinct Original Pate Real Duck
[star rating=”4″ numeric=”yes”]Duck: Good source of protein for cats. 4 stars
[star rating=”5″ numeric=”yes”]Turkey Liver: It provides more calories and fat than chicken liver and also more proteins. The advantage of turkey liver is that it offers a healthier amount of minerals than chicken liver (source). 5 stars.
[star rating=”4″ numeric=”yes”]Duck Broth: This ingredient is much better than plain water for processing canned cat food. It provides better flavor. 4 stars
[star rating=”3″ numeric=”yes”]Ground Flaxseed: This is usually only flour that doesn’t provide enough essential fatty acids. 3 stars
[star rating=”4″ numeric=”yes”]Montmorillonite Clay: Safe natural anti-caking agent that stops kibble from clumping in the package in dry food. When used in wet food it works as a detox agent that prevents chronic illnesses in cats (source). Used in high-quality cat foods. 4 stars
Opening a can of Instinct Original Real Duck Pate Cat Food
Pros & Cons of Instinct Pate Real Duck Canned Cat Food
I have highlighted the most important aspects of this canned cat food for you to make a well-informed decision:
- Great formula if your cat is on a chicken-free, egg-free, and seafood-free diet to prevent food allergies.
- The first ingredient is duck, no water nor broth. This means more proteins.
- The second ingredient turkey liver is much lower in iron, potassium, and phosphorus than chicken liver. This ensures healthier bladder and kidneys.
- Montmorillonite clay flushes toxins from the cat’s internal organs through the colon.
- With natural sources of Omega-3 and Omega-6 that promote healthy skin and coat.
- Low-glycemic carbs keep the cat’s blood sugar at bay, preventing diabetes.
- Duck and turkey are higher in fat than chicken, which could cause digestive issues in cats with a sensitive stomach.
- Ingredients are not sourced locally.
My Final Thoughts
The formula is healthy, with a good amount of protein, and with no harmful chemicals. It has a nice smell when you open the can. My cat is used to eat morsels/shredded-type meats in gravy, so I thought she wouldn’t eat a pate type, but she ate it no problem. She ate the first and second time but the following days she didn’t eat it anymore. It’s been hard to get her to eat the formula because she got used to the chicken flavor and that’s why it’s so hard to keep cats away from chicken diets and for this same reason they develop an allergy to chicken. I let a couple of weeks pass without giving her the food, and later I put the Instinct Original real duck pate back again on her food bowl and she ate it. I must say my cat is a picky eater so this is not new for me.
This is a healthy and high-in-protein wet canned food for your cat. It’s especially ideal if you want your cat to stay away from chicken, egg, or seafood for a while. Your cat may not be very fond of the duck or turkey taste because cats are so used to chicken, but most likely your feline friend will eat it because it has a very nice gravy. In case your picky eater stops eating this wet food after a few days just stop feeding it and then start again after a couple of weeks as I did with my cat. It worked. Learn more tricks to get your cat to eat his favorite wet food if he suddenly stopped eating it.
All in all, I recommend Instinct Original grain-free real duck canned food for cats because it’s a healthy formula, and especially as a part of a rotational diet to avoid food allergies. Get it on Chewy with fast shipping ⇒ here.
*This post contains one affiliate link, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.