Petmate Le Bistro pet feeder is very popular and can be used for feeding both cats and dogs. My review starts with a general description for this product:
General Product Description
Petmate Le Bistro pet feeder is programmable and delivers controlled food portions up to 3 times per day. The range of portion is from ¼ to 3 cups per serving, so you can set the amount you want for your pet to eat by day. This daily amount of food is kept in a tough plastic base for food “on demand”.
The feeding bowl can be removable for easy cleaning.
This food dispenser uses 3 D-cell alkaline batteries which are not included in the product. The batteries last approx. 6 months and it has a low-battery indicator that lets you know when the batteries need to be changed.
The feeder can be assembled in minutes with no tools and it measures 10”x 14”x 15”. Includes a one year limited warranty.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Petmate Le Bistro pet feeder?
- Easy to program following the instructions.
- It has a paddle wheel inside rotates to dispense the food, which are sectioned and made of soft flexible material to prevent jamming.
- Relief the task of measuring and pouring food for your pet every day.
- Cats can figure out how to get more food using the paw.
- The minimum portion is a 1/4 of a cup. Not recommended for cats on a diet if you want your cat to eat more than 2 times a day.
- New version works only with batteries.
Tips how to use it:
- Remove the top of the food hopper and pour the desired amount of food (hopper holds up to 4.2 lbs capacity)
- You have to set the alarm clock using the LCD screen. It has 3 buttons to go through the process, so this way you set the schedule feeding times for your pet.
- It has also a meal counter to set how many times you want your pet eat daily.
CONCLUSION: The Petmate Le Bistro pet feeder is a good automatic pet feeder, but not as desirable as other options for cats, specially if you need to give your cat a very accurate amount of food per day, especially if you have your cat on a diet. This unit is more suitable for dogs, but it works well for cats in some situations.
√ This feeder might work for your cat if you fit all these conditions:
- If you want to feed more than one cat.
- If your cats are not smart enough to figure out how to get more food from the chute.
- If your cats are very active (indoor/outdoor).
- If you use big size pellets 1/2″
x The feeder it’s not recommended:
- If you want to feed one cat with a very accurate feeding schedule, and:
- If you want to control and/or reduce the food intake of your cat.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THIS FEEDER AND REVIEW:
Note 1: The version showed on the picture of this review is not available and there is a new design of the Petmate Le Bistro Portion Control, which is battery powered and it has the same programming system.
Note 2: Some customers complain that this feeder does not release the food in the programmed time and portions. Consider these customers’s experiences to make a decision.