The Cat Mate C50 automatic pet feeder is a popular dish food dispenser so if you are thinking about buying this device, this review will give you all the information you need to decide if this solution is suitable for your needs.
Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder serves up to 5 meals, one meal is served at present time and the 4 rest can be programmed for future meals.
Each tray with food gets exposed through a rotating lid system uncovering each of the 4 compartments where you can put dry or moist food (the first compartment does not get uncovered by the rotating lid because you have to lift the cover protection).
It works with analog timer (dial) and rotates by set times with a minimum of 4 hours between each meal, with 90-hours length meal time program.
If you feed your cat moist food, you can keep it fresh by two ice packs underneath the trays. The Cat Mate C50 works with 1 AA battery that is not included.
- Serves up to 5 meals by day.
- It has analog timer.
- 4 programmable meals easy to set with analog timer.
- 4 hours minimum intervals between each meal time and 90 hours length program.
- It works with rotating lid system.
- Dimensions are: 16.2 x 3.8 x 13.8 inches; and 4 pounds.
- It requires 1 AA battery.
- Battery condition indicator.
- Twin ice packs to keep food fresh.
How to operate the Cat Mate C50:
√ Fill the trays with food and wind up the lid in a counter-clock-wise direction.
√ As the timer moves, a catch will release at your set times so that the lid will move clockwise to reveal one tray at a time.
√ You have to make sure start button is turned “ON” and the dial is rotated.
NOTE: The Cat Mate C50 uses European time system on timer (1-24, rather than 1-12 A.M. and P.M. as in USA).
What are the Pros and Cons of the Cat Mate C50 pet feeder?
- Capability to dispense up to 5 meals (one at present time).
- Analog timer can be set up to 4 meals (with a minimum of 4 hrs. intervals between each time).
- 90 hours length program.
- Good for feed your cat moist and dry food.
- Food compartments have good size and each one holds up to 2/3 lb. (300 g.) of moist food.
- The tray food and lid are dishwasher-proof.
- Twin ice packs keep moist food fresh.
- It has battery condition indicator.
- Very smart cats can break into this feeder knocking the timer cover off and moving the dial with the paw or mouth.
- Difference between each meal cannot be less than 4 hours.
- Ice packs seem to melt completely from 4 up to 10 hours, depending on the weather.
- Instructions are a little tricky to be figured out.
- Battery (on the bottom) lack of strong protection from dropping out.
- Trays cannot support heavy amounts of moist food otherwise, lid won’t rotate.
Tips to use the automatic pet dish:
- It is recommended to do several tries with this feeder and checking the system before leaving your pet alone.
- Make sure to use a fresh battery. Item has an indicator reflecting battery movement by sight.
- If using moist food it’s a good idea to get an extra set of ice packs to backup next day.
- Tape the battery underneath the dish to prevent it from dropping out.
CONCLUSION: This is a very good automatic feeder but as all dish feeders, it is recommended to be used mainly for docile cats. Why? for two reasons:
1. A cat obsessed with food or a very smart cat can break into this feeder, moving the dial, pulling out the tray, and so. (this is not very usual, but it could happen).
2. A cat that does not behave with this type of dish feeder could try to get food from it, moving it and tip it over. This means that your cat could end up being alone at home with no food to eat.
√ If your cat is docile, this is a very good option to feed your cat with moist and dry food. I recommend it especially for:
- To be used for a couple of days or weekends if using dry food.
- For one day (no more than 12 hours length) if using moist food.
- For occasional use.
X This automatic pet dish might not be suitable:
- If you want a feeding schedule for your cat with less than 4 hours intervals between each meal.
- For more than 2 days away from home.
- For wet food if you want to use it to feed your cat several days.