How long the Litter Robot will last and if it’s worth it are the two questions most people who are on the fence about investing in the Litter Robot ask. Here, I am going to describe my own experience as a user of the Litter Robot 3, and the Litter Robot 4.
How long does the Litter Robot last as an average?
The general lifespan of the Litter Robot depends on usage, maintenance, and if it comes with a potential mechanical issue from the factory which is less likely. The duration needs to consider how many cats use the device, and how correctly a cat owner operates the unit. If the litter box is used by more cats it means more rotations and less lifespan. Regarding how the person manages the unit, if a Litter Robot is misplaced in a wrong uneven area it will affect the bottom sensors, or if using too much cat litter too often it will wear out the motor, so the duration could be less. On average, the Litter Robot could last anywhere between 5 and 8 years, however, keep in mind this is an average range of time that will depend on the aspects previously mentioned. It could last less or even longer.
My experience with the Litter Robot
My experience with the Litter Robot considers the usage with a single cat. My cat started using the Litter Robot 3 for the first time in 2016 and she stopped using it in 2022. The Robot I got was the Litter Robot 3 Open-Air which later I upgraded to a Connect by installing the Connect kit (check how I did it on my Litter Robot Connect review).
In my case, the Litter Robot 3 definitely lasted longer than the minimum of 5 years and it’s still operative (see my video below). It gave me a small issue after six years, but I easily fixed it (I explain this further below). The reason why I stopped using the Litter Robot 3 was not because of malfunction, it was because in 2022 I was chosen to test and review the Litter-Robot 4 as a Beta tester so my cat has been using the LR4 since then.
My Litter Robot 3 still works after 7.5 years: Proof
I wanted to show you proof of the Litter Robot 3’s duration so I made a video today of the unit rotating when I do a manual cleaning on the Whisker App. You can see my Litter Robot 3 is old because the Litter Robot 3 doesn’t come with that flap inside the globe anymore and it hasn’t for a while. You can see my old Robot still rotates though it’s pretty noisy. Regarding the duration of the Litter Robot 4, I still need to wait and see. So far the unit has been working without any issues for 17 months. If I keep the same usage and maintenance patterns, it should last the same, but we’ll see. For now, the duration of the Litter Robot 3 is a good reference.
Litter Robot 3 Connect doing a cleaning cycle
(I show the date & time at the beginning of the video)
How long the Litter Robot lasts with multiple cat usage
Regarding multiple cats’ usage of the Litter Robot, the experiences may change, but I suggest you read testimonials of cat owners. I got a comment from someone telling me that he’s been using the Litter-Robot 3 for 3-4 years with 5 cats! Check it out (video reference https://youtu.be/UPCnl64RuaE):
Is it worth it to invest in the Litter Robot?
Investing $549 for the Litter Robot 3 Connect or $699 for the Litter Robot 4 makes anybody wonder about the duration, reliability, and value, if any. I have shared with you my experience using the Litter Robot 3 and how much has lasted. But has been really worth it? My answer lies in 3 factors: reliability, financial investment, and value.
How reliable has been my Litter Robot
The reliability of the Robot depends in great part on the correct usage and maintenance. When I started using the Litter Robot sometimes I would pour too much cat litter and the globe would stop rotating. I learned to correct this quickly and it never happened again. The first malfunction only started after six years of Litter Robot usage. The automatic nightlight somehow was preventing the globe from completing a rotation. However, it was an easy fix, I simply disabled the nightlight and the Robot never malfunctioned again. These inconveniences may happen or may not happen at all, but they can be overcome, at least in my experience. In order to assess the worthiness of the investment in a Litter Robot it’s a good idea to put the numbers on the table.
The Litter Robot Investment $$$ in the long run
Financially speaking, let’s say the Litter Robot lasts a minimum average of 5 years. Dividing the price of the Litter Robot 3 Connect which is $549 would give us an average cost of $9 per month. In the case of the Litter-Robot 4, the price is $699 (you can apply $50 OFF and pay $649 if using this link) so the average monthly cost would be $10 (calculating the price of $649 ). This means the cost of investing in the Litter-Robot 3 is $0.3 per day and investing in the Litter-Robot 4 costs $0.33 per day. Is this too much or worth it? It depends on how much value the Litter Robot represents to you. In my case, getting the Litter Robot changed my life (and my cat’s) in the following way:
The value provided to my cat Sophie
My cat experienced an average improvement, not only in her elimination habits but also in her overall well-being. This is how the Robot helped my cat:
- It helped Sophie’s health. The Litter Robot usage prevents my cat from holding in the urine. When I used to scoop the regular litter tray every day in the evening I noticed that as soon as I finished cleaning the litter box my cat Sophie would use it again which means she was holding in the pee. I thought this wasn’t healthy for her because cats have very acidic urine. Maybe holding in urine is not bad in the short term, but if this becomes the new normal, it is definitely not healthy. The Litter Robot also prevents my cat from having her paws contaminated with dirty litter, which happens with traditional litter boxes that are scooped once a day. Now I think about how many pathogens she was ingesting in the past when grooming herself. This could affect the cat’s GI tract and cause diarrhea (source).
- My cat became more independent, and happier. A clean litter box reduces stress in cats. I can tell my cat gets very stressed with dirty litter boxes, but this changed with the Litter Robot. When she started using it, I felt she was more relaxed and happy. I think this was because she felt that the cleanliness in her space didn’t depend on me anymore, she regained independence. And you know how much cats love to be independent. This fact improved my cat’s litter box usage and even made her drink water more often. I must mention that my cat is very sensitive to dirty litter boxes, this may not be the same with other cats.
Immediate Value For Me
Before I got the Robot I thought that cleaning the litter tray was not a big deal and that the Litter Robot was too much. Boy, was I wrong! This is how the Robot helped me:
- Saving in cat litter. By using the Litter Robot you can save cat litter anywhere from 30% to 50%. This will depend on how often you scoop a traditional litter box, the type of cat litter you use, and your cat’s habits when doing its business. This is only one aspect and this alone won’t equal the Litter Robot investment in the long run, but it compensates at least 30% to 50% of monthly cat litter expenses. This saving is possible because the Litter Robot separates the cat waste from clean litter so the clean litter doesn’t get as contaminated as with traditional litter boxes, in which case clean litter sits next to cat waste for much longer. For better results and cat litter savings, it’s crucial to choose the perfect cat litter to use with the Litter Robot.
- It gave me freedom from the litter box. Scooping, scraping, and fully changing the cat litter every two weeks takes time and it’s a very annoying routine. I really appreciate the time the Litter Robot added to my life. I never thought of the question, how much do I value my time? I didn’t really assess this value until I got the Robot. It’s safe to say that when people get home from work totally tired, they don’t want to scoop the litter box. The $0.3 cost of the Litter Robot in a day like this makes it totally worth it.
- Better health and waste management. Not having a dirty litter box sitting in the house is certainly more hygienic and less stinky. Plus, it’s always better to keep the cat waste contained in a sealed drawer than exposed in the open. Let’s also keep in mind that a dirty litter box means contaminated cat paws walking around the house. Not good.
- I enjoy the smart features of the App. I can control the Litter Robot from anywhere using the Whisker App. I could test this during a trip and it really works. I installed a camera in my Litter-Robot 4 and I can see that the unit rotates when I trigger a manual cycle on the Whisker App. This full control of the unit from anywhere gives me peace of mind, I can even restart the unit if I need to.
- I use much less plastic bags. Since I started using the Litter Robot I only use one bag per week, instead of one or two bags per day. Reducing plastic waste is certainly a more eco-friendly approach.
If you are wondering how long the Litter Robot lasts and if it’s worth it my honest answer is yes, but don’t just take my word, check other people’s reviews for a better idea. I wish you the best in your decision.
Get the Litter Robot and enjoy its many benefits. Save $50 on the link below if you get the Litter-Robot 4. You have the option to get it with a payment plan and still save $50.