The Litter Robot 3 enclosure cabinet hides the cat’s litter box and creates a new usable area where it wasn’t before. This idea is very useful if your unit sits in a reduced space with not many options to create new areas for your cat. I personally love the idea of this piece of furniture, it adds style and creates a new platform above the area used by your cat. The cool aspect of this piece is that it’s made of eco-friendly materials, one of them is bamboo that is grown without impacting the environment.
You can benefit from this piece of furniture in several ways. For example, if you have no other place to locate your automatic cat box other than the closet, this furniture provide a excellent frame for it protecting your investment. Many times when you put the machine too close to other items, the operation stops. I explain about this further in this article. Let’s check all about this particular product.
- Custom design exclusively for Litter Robot 3 performance
- Fits perfectly the Litter Robot 3 Open Air and the Smart Robot 3 Connect
- Comes in two cabinet options: bamboo and cabinet-grade birch plywood
- Top of enclosure cabinet holds up 25 pounds of distributed weight
- Comes with cat sensor foot at the back of cabinet
- Made in the USA
—Fully assembled: 31.75″H x 22.5″D x 26.75″W
—Panels thickness: 3/4″
—Cat sensor foot: 3-1/2” diameter.
The two versions of the Litter Robot 3 Cabinet —Bamboo and Birch Plywood—have different features and price.
Bamboo Enclosure features
- Bamboo is made of sustainable-grown bamboo
- Finished with 2 coats of water-based low VOC clear varnish, inside and out (low VOC means Volatile Organic Compound that is eco-friendly and not harmful to humans or pets).
- Bamboo is of premium quality, denser and heavier than the unfinished birch plywood by 30%.
Birch Plywood Enclosure features
- Made of veneered cabinet-grade birch plywood
- Cabinet weighs 30% less than the bamboo version
- The unit comes unfinished
- Plywood uses eco-friendly raw materials
What comes in the package?
- 3 panels (top and sides)
- Back panel support (plywood panel and wood board)
- Alignment guide (cat sensor foot)
How does the enclosure cabinet protect the Robot 3’s sensor?
For a better understanding it’s good to explain how the sensor mechanism works. The sensor of the Litter Robot is located at the bottom of the unit. When the cat enters the unit its weight creates a slight backward tilt of the Globe which creates some pressure on the sensor located at the bottom, activating the cleaning cycle. In my Robot 3 cat box review I show videos about how exactly the mechanism works.
The Globe of the Litter Robot features what is called the “Key” which is the black piece that sticks out from the back of the Globe and whose function is holding the internal shield in place. If the Globe’s key sits against a wall, the Globe won’t move backwards when the cat enters the Globe and it won’t create pressure on the sensor, hence, won’t activate the mechanism.
That’s why the design of the Litter Robot 3 Cabinet includes an alignment guide which is the cat sensor foot that goes assembled at the bottom of the Cabinet, aligning the Litter Robot to the exactly distance it needs to protect this key from being touched. This ensures the correct operation of the Litter Robot 3.
Video demonstration of the Litter Robot Cabinet
What are the pros & cons of Litter Robot 3 Enclosure Cabinet?
Find out if this enclosure cabinet will effectively work for you and your cat.
- Cabinet is custom designed for the Litter Robot 3 or Robot 3 Connect
- Well made and sturdy
- Good quality materials
- Easy to assemble
- The Litter Robot 3 fits snugly inside
- It features a cat sensor to protect the Litter Robot
- Good protection in case the Robot needs to be place very close to other items
- It encloses the Litter Robot and looks like furniture
- Provides usable space above the Litter-Robot that wasn’t usable
- Top can be used for storage of litter box items
- Adds a resting place for your cat using about the same footprint already in use
- If your Litter Robot is next to a window, it provides your cat a place to watch to the outside
- Unfinished enclosure allows you to choose the finish of your preference
- Made in the USA
- The bamboo version is pricey
- If using the ramp it will stick out of the cabinet (cabinet comes with an optional rug mat as bundle)
Is the Litter Robot 3 Enclosure Cabinet worth it?
The Litter Robot 3 Cabinet is worth it, especially on these situations:
- If your Litter Robot sits close to a window, providing your cat a new high spot to look outside.
- If you want to store all litter box items close to the cat box. The top Cabinet serves as cat litter storage and other litter box items.
- If your cat doesn’t have very many high spots due to the lack of space. This Cabinet provides a good high area where your cat can sleep, relax or even play if you have two cats.
- If you like cabinets that are well made, durable and strong. This piece of enclosure is made in the USA with high quality materials that won’t break. If you need to move the cabinet for whatever reason it will stay put, it won’t break apart like other similar enclosures on the market.
If you are handy using tools, you can DIY using the same principles. Whatever you decide to do, it’s time to create a new space for your feline friend, he will appreciate it.
UPDATE: The Litter Robot Cabinet is discontinued and instead, there is a new modern and more stylish version, the “Credenza”. Check it out here.