When I saw the Refined Feline litter box concealer I decided to make a review of it, because it’s the only litter box concealer cabinet that features a top storage drawer and looks like a real piece of furniture.
The good thing about this unit is that you can choose the Large size to place a large litter box or the Extra Large to put an automatic self-cleaning rake-type litter box.
Features of Refined Feline Litter Box Concealer
- Constructed in plywood with poplar veneer
- With top drawer to store litter box items or cat goodies
- Reversible walls allow you to choose left or right side entry
- Includes a cardboard plastic-laminated internal liner with high walls to contain litter spillage
- With two rear slots to place carbon filters
- Adjustable feet for exact level
- Assembly required
- Colors: Smoke, Mahogany, Espresso
- Sizes: Large and Extra Large
- Bottom wooded litter catch sold separately
- Carbon filters are not included
Dimensions & Weight | Large Size
−Outside Dimensions: 27.5” Wide x 20” Deep x 28” High
−Interior dimension: 17” Deep, x 25” Wide x 20” High
−Drawer is 4-inches tall (internal height includes the drawer)
−Door dimension Large: 8” width x 9” height
−Height from floor to bottom door: 9 inches approx (litter catcher can decrease the height to approx 7 inches)
−Weight: 35.2 pounds
What litter boxes fit: Most Large and Jumbo size plastic litter trays. It will hold litter boxes measuring up to 18 x 24 inches (the Tidy Cats Breeze litter box system works great with this unit, check a pic below).
Dimensions & Weight | XL Size
−Outside Dimensions: 33.5″ Wide x 23″ Deep x 28.5″ High
−Inside Dimension: 31.5 Wide x 20″ Deep x 20.5″ High
−Drawer is 5-inches tall (internal height includes the drawer)
−Door dimension Extra large: 9″ width x 10″ height
−Height from floor to bottom door: 9-10 inches approx. (the litter catcher can decrease this height to about 7-8 inches)
−Weight: 46.2 pounds
How Refined Feline Litter Box Concealer works
The unit comes in a package with several panels and the hardware to assemble this unit. You will need a screwdriver to put it together. As stated in the description the side panels are reversible so you can choose if the entryway will be on the left or right side.
Once assembled the Refined Feline litter box cabinet looks very nice. As you can see in the above pictures the Large size allows you to place a large litter box and the Extra Large is suitable to put an automatic litter box. The XL size features an opening for the cord to go through.
The cat enters the cabinet through the entryway and uses the litter box. As the entryway is on the steep side, your cat most likely will jump in and out. You can place the wood litter catcher that is sold separately. If your cat has sensitive paws you can place a softer litter mat.
The Refined Feline litter box concealer features a cardboard plastic-laminated liner that will fit exactly inside and whose purpose is containing the cat litter, but not the urine. The liner is about 11-1/2 inches tall.
Additionally, this litter box concealer features two rear slots to put carbon filter sheets. The size of the carbon filter needs to be 7” x 6” approx. This cabinet holds up 50 lbs on top in case you want to put items on top of it.
How to clean it
To scoop the litter box simply open the doors and pull the liner sliding the litter box to scoop it. Additionally you will want to clean the liner after a few days of accumulated cat litter.
What are the Pros & Cons of this litter box concealer?
- It conceals your litter box and serves as a piece of furniture
- Great solution for small spaces
- Nice looking litter box cabinet with poplar veneer makes it look like real wood
- Top drawer allows you to put litter box necessities
- It contains litter mess in the inside with the provided cardboard plastic-laminated liner
- It keeps the litter area clean (maybe a little litter spillage from jumping cats. You can purchase the litter catcher that matches the cabinet very nicely)
- With rear slots to place carbon filter sheets
- The provided plastic liner allows you to slide the litter box out easily and helps to keep the inside of the cabinet clean from litter.
- You can decide what side will be the cat’s entry, left or right.
- With adjustable feet if you have irregular floor
- The cabinet is not as tall as a regular one
- The unit is made of plywood with poplar veneer. Not 100% real wood.
- The screws could be a little longer
- It’s hard to align the doors when assembling. Also, the instructions are not very well written, especially if you want to switch the side of the door.
- The cabinet may stick out a little because it’s large from back to front.
- A little hard to pull the liner out, especially if using full weight cat litter
- It doesn’t stop odors from coming out (see tip #1)
- Not suitable for high spraying cats (I wrote an article about best electric litter box for high spraying cats)
- Price is high
Tips & Ideas
#1 A good tip is placing a plastic piece as a flap in the entry to make the filter work better, see the below photo. Also, you need to clean the litter box as usual, twice per day and use a good cat litter.
#2 If you have a very tall cat you can assemble this cabinet without the top drawer to leave more room on top.
The Refined Feline Cat Litter Box Concealer is a good option if you need to hide the litter box in a nice way, placing decorative items on top. This unit looks like it’s made of real wood and it serves its purpose well. If you want to get this unit as a way to stop the odor of a stinky litter box this is not a good solution. Though, this litter box concealer contains most of the cat litter, keeping the litter mess inside the liner. Also, the top drawer allows you to place litter box items, which is a nice feature.
The last point worth mentioning is that you can’t place the litter box in the far end of the cabinet. As the entryway is steep your cat will jump into it and the space inside will be too short for your cat to land and maneuver comfortably. You must put the litter box entrance flush against the cabinet’s entry. This way your cat will jump right into the litter box.
The Refined Feline litter box concealer cabinet is suitable as follows:
- Large size suitable for a litter box measuring up to 18 x 24 inches, with lower entry
- Extra Large size to put rake-type automatic litter boxes such as Scoopfree or Littermaid
- A skilled jumping cat if using an automatic litter box (the cat needs to land further back to reach the litter bed, due to front waste compartment of automatic litter boxes).
This unit may not work well:
- If you have a high spraying cat
- If your cat is a professional litter kicker
- If you expect odor control
- People with arthritis (it takes strength to pull and slide the liner with the litter box inside of it)