Petfusion products are well recognized among cat owners for being efficient and with a good quality. I am already familiar with this brand since I made a review of Petfusion elevated cat feeder and Petfusion BetterBox cat litter box with very good verdict in both products. That’s why I wanted to review the litter mat to see if the quality and good results are the same for this product.
The Petfusion Toughgrip cat litter mat, unlike others, is made of durable silicone which makes it softer for the cat’s paws.
- Mat is made of premium FDA-grade silicone
- Waterproof (it holds certain amount of liquid, not full urines from the cat)
- Silicone is antimicrobial, hypoallergenic and non-toxic
- Durable and sturdy material
- Soft on the cat’s paws
- Grooves on the surface catch the excess of litter from the cat’s paws
- Outer lip helps to contain the litter effectively
- Non-slip backing keeps the mat in place
- It can be cleaned with broom, vacuum or wipe clean with sponge.
- For a fast cleaning just lift and fold the mat and dump the litter back into the litter box (it features a spout on side to facilitate the litter to go through
- Color: Grey
- One year warranty (manufacturer limited)
- Dimension large size: 27 x 22 inches w/ .25 inch lip
- Dimension extra large: 38 x 26 inches W/ .3 inch lip.
How it works
Petfusion ToughGrip litter mat is designed mainly for optimal litter catching. The surface of this mat features grooves that are made in a way that are more effective when the mat is placed in a portrait orientation (the curves of the mat being across and not along the exit of the litter box). This means the litter will be caught by the grooves between the litter box and the end of the mat. Check a picture of the recommended position for the mat:
What are the Pros & Cons of Petfusion ToughGrip litter mat?
I found various Pros for this cat litter mat that make this product a good choice. In some cases the Cons of this unit may not work well for some cats. Check them all and decide.
- Heavy and sturdy. Almost impossible for a cat to drag or wrap.
- The mat’s surface with grooves keeps most of the litter on the mat.
- Lip on edge helps to contain litter
- It works with most types of cat litters
- The mat surface is easy on the cat’s paws.
- Dots underneath keep the mat in place
- Side spout (V shaped cutout) designed to let the litter go through
- Large size available for a larger coverage of the litter area.
- The area to clean is exposed, unlike other systems where the litter is trapped in between two layers.
- If your cat urinates on mats, this material retains urine smell, making it worse.
- It may be too heavy to lift and fold for people with disabilities
- It’s hard to sweep or vacuum the litter, due to the mat’s grooves (easier just to lift and fold, letting the litter go through the side spout into the litter box).
- The mat spout (the “V” shaped cutout on one side) could lead to leaks in case your cat urinates on the mat.
- Only grey color
Tips To Use the Petfusion ToughGrip:
- Place the litter box in a way that will force the cat to step on the mat.
- Place the mat in portrait position for maximum coverage and litter catching efficiency.
- The extra large size provides more protection for the litter area than the large size.
Petfusion ToughGrip cat litter mat is a good solution if your main concern is the litter spillage in the litter box area. The design of this mat is adequate for this purpose and it works accordingly.
One thing to consider is the fact that even though this cat litter mat is waterproof, this particular brand may not be the best solution for cats that urinate on the mats because the silicone has some absorbing properties. This would make the urine smell even worse if the cat urinates on this litter mat. If your cat is not this type and it’s only a litter-messy buddy, then this is the litter mat you need.
I recommend this litter mat for:
- Cats with sensitive paws
- Cats that kick litter or heavy diggers
- Cats that jump out of the litter box instead walking
This unit may not work well for:
- Cats that urinate on litter mats
- Elderly or people with arthritis on hands (the mat is on the heavy side)
- A breeze cleaning if you only use vacuum or broom
Check also: Top litter mats comparison.