Blackhole Litter Mat Review
Blackhole is on the list of top cat litter mats. This unit offers a dual-structure design created with two layers of EVA foam rubber that reduce dramatically litter tracking in your house.
The top layer features honeycomb openings that trap the litter from your cat’s paws which goes onto the bottom layer where the litter stays until cleaning.
Blackhole litter mat is durable, made from solid and non-toxic EVA foam rubber which is safe for your cat. The mat is easy to carry for cleaning with its 2-lbs weight.
- Solid and durable EVA foam rubber
- Dual-structure as a pocket to hold spilled litter
- Waterproof, washable with running water
- It comes in shapes: Rectangular, Medium Square, and head shape
- Rectangular shape dimension: 30″ x 23″ x 0.5″
- Medium Square and Head-shape dimensions: 23″ x 21″ x 0.5”
- Colors: Dark Gray and beige
- Patent Pending in the USA
HOW BLACKHOLE LITTER MAT WORKS
Blackhole’s foam rubber layers are sewn on the sides creating a sort of pocket, but leaving both ends open so you can shake off the litter from one of the ends.
You can dump the litter back in the box if you want or dump the litter directly from the mat into the trashcan.
The honeycomb shaped openings of the top layer have a diameter approximately of ¼ of an inch so it works for most litters.
SIZES AND SUITABILITY
The Blackhole litter mat comes in 3 designs: Rectangular, Medium Square, and head shape.
The rectangular shape is the biggest with a dimension of 30” x 23” which is suitable for multi-cat households or if you have a big room where to place it.
The Medium Square and Head-shape have a dimension of 23″ x 21″ and they are suitable for small rooms or a single cat.
PROS AND CONS OF BLACKHOLE CAT LITTER MAT
The following list of pros and cons contains useful information that will allow you to decide better:
- High-quality materials and durable, solid construction
- It traps most part of the litter from the cat’s paws, minimizing litter tracking
- It reduces the frequency of cleaning, vacuum the litter box area
- The mat is waterproof (but not urine proof)
- Mat has sides sewn together keeping litter inside
- Blackhole top foam rubber hides most of the litter in the bottom layer
- It’s a little tricky to lift the mat with litter inside to dump it (the mat is rigid, due to its high quality)
- It doesn’t trap all the litter, there is a still some going onto the floor
- Opening on both sides makes it a little tricky to lift it and keep the litter inside to shake it off
- The mat could be a litter wider
- The mat has bumps next to the honeycomb-shaped holes, which makes it hard on the cat’s paws.
- It doesn’t have non-slip back.
- Very hard to clean the bottom if a cat urinates on the mat
- The mat still shows some litter that gets caught between the bumps next to the holes.
- A little pricey
- Try to clean the mat often because the openings fill up and the rest of litter will go onto the floor.
- Before lifting the mat, have the litter box or trash receptacle close by so it’s easy to dump the litter from the mat without spilling onto the floor.
- Wash the mat with running water and dry it in the sun.
Blackhole is a good cat litter mat that works as advertised. The mat helps to reduce litter tracking and the frequency of sweeping having to vacuum, but you will still have some litter out of the mat, just not as much. The percentage of reducing litter tracking it’s between 80% and 90% depending on the cat and the litter used.
The surface of the Blackhole isn’t very soft so some cats with sensitive paws may find it rough to step on this mat and maybe due to this, some cats may avoid stepping on this unit.
√ I recommend this litter mat to:
- Any cat owner that wants to reduce the frequency of cleaning the cat litter box area.
- For long-haired cats with fluffy paws.
- Used with enclosed litter boxes so your cat must step on the litter mat.
x Blackhole litter mat may not be suitable:
- For cats with sensitive paws
- For elderly cats or disabled cats
- If you use big litter, such as Weruba or pine