Cleaning the Litter Robot 4 is not that different from the process of cleaning the Litter Robot 3, but there are some differences. If you got the new version and still don’t get to this point or if you are planning on getting the Litter Robot 4 and want to know how to clean it, you are in the right place. Here I explain step by step how to remove the globe and other parts, how to wash the globe, and how to put it back on.
How Disassemble The Litter Robot 4 To Clean It
What you need to do in order to take the Litter Robot 4 apart to clean it.
1. Empty the cat waste and put a new bag (don’t do this step if you plan to dispose of the cat litter).
2. Empty the globe from the cat litter by pressing the empty button located on the control panel.
3. Clean very well all the residues of cat litter that may be trapped inside the globe with a help of a brush. This will prevent residues of clumping litter get mixed with water (much harder to remove) while you are washing the globe.
4. Turn the unit off and unplug it
5. Remove the bonnet by pressing the release tabs on both sides. Place it aside.
6. Lift the globe using the handle and put it on a soft surface.
7. Flip the globe and remove the filter compartment lid and the filter located at the bottom of the globe.
Now the globe is ready to be cleaned. If you want to wash the waste drawer too, simply remove the bag filled with cat litter to clean the waste drawer.
Video how to disassemble the Litter Robot 4 To Clean It
How to Clean (or Wash) The Globe
If the globe is not very dirty you can wipe it clean using special cleaning wipes or a moist paper towel with a mild soap. If you want to do a deeper cleaning you need to wash the globe, either in the bathtub or outside in the yard. In this case, I cleaned the globe in the yard using a garden hose for very deep cleaning. Make sure to use organic or mild soap, a brush, and a paper towel. If you wash the globe in the yard, you must use organic biodegradable soap.
- When cleaning the globe: Make sure to get all the nooks and crannies, also behind the sifting screen.
- When rinsing the globe: You need to rinse the globe very well, making sure the water runs clean. Soap residues can create an accumulation of yucky build-up.
- When drying the globe: Make sure to dry the globe thoroughly. When drying the globe with paper towel you will notice that behind the sifting screen is wet and you may not be able to reach there well. To dry this area you can lift the sifting screen a little bit, but with caution not to lift it too much.
Video washing the globe in the yard
Reassembling the Litter Robot 4
The steps to put the Litter Robot 4 together are the following:
1. Put the filter and the filter compartment lid back into the globe.
2. Put the globe at the base of the unit, making sure to center the globe correctly.
3. Put the bonnet back on. When putting the bonnet back onto the base you need to put it first on the back, where the hinge is, making sure it fits snugly with no gaps in between the base and the bonnet. If you cannot make the bonnet and the base fit without a gap at the hinge area, most likely the globe is not centered. Make sure to center the globe properly. Once you got the back of the bonnet to fit correctly with the back of the base, insert the sides of the bonnet making sure the release tabs fit correctly where the openings are. Check also that there is not a gap on the top of the globe.
4. Plug the unit and turn it on (an automatic cleaning cycle will occur).
5. Remove the bag from the waste drawer. You can reuse the litter if it’s clean or you can dispose of it. Put a new bag in the waste drawer.
6. Put cat litter in the globe and reset the unit. This cancels the activation and calibrates the new weight of the cat litter (In my Litter Robot 4 review, in the “weight scale sensor” section, I explain this in detail).
Video how to reassemble the Litter Robot 4
How often to Clean the Litter Robot 4
Preferably you want to clean the globe every month. In case you have multiple cats you may want to clean it every 2 weeks. Regarding the waste drawer, I clean it every two months since the drawer with the Litter Robot 4 is not exposed to cat waste at all because it’s fully lined with a plastic bag with no parts exposed to it, but that’s up to you.
What type of soap can I use?
Ideally, you want to use organic or mild soap to wash the globe since a stronger chemical may be too abrasive to the rubber over time, plus not healthy for your cat. And that’s all you need to know to clean your Litter Robot 4. Your cat will enjoy doing his business in a clean and fresh litter box!
If you want to buy the Litter Robot 4 and want to pay less for it, use my special link and apply $25 off the price, the discount will be reflected at the checkout. In case you want a payment plan select Affirm at the checkout and you still will get the $25 off!
Ask me any questions you may have in the comments section. Thanks!