Pioneer Big Max is a stainless steel cat water fountain with 128 Oz capacity which gives cats fresh and circulating water. There are several reasons why cats don’t drink from a water bowl and one of them is the lack of water freshness. Also, water in movement encourages cats to drink more. This is especially important since cats that don’t drink enough water can develop kidney disease.
Pioneer Big Max has a quiet submersible pump that keeps the water oxygenated and fresh. The bowl’s size is enough to accommodate more than one pet drinking. The unit is easy to disassemble and the stainless steel is more hygienic than plastic because it helps from developing bacteria and slime in the water. Stainless steel is much easier to clean than plastic too. The fountain is 100% dishwasher safe and is made from high grade stainless steel.
- Circulating water encourages your pet to drink more
- Easy to assemble, 2 main pieces
- Replaceable charcoal filter purifies water
- 100% dishwasher safe
- 128 oz of water capacity (3.78L)
- Nice design fits with any decor
- Made from premium stainless steel
- Dimension: 4 ¼” H x 12” W x 13.75” L
- Weight: 3.2 lbs.
- Safe and low voltage UL listed power system.
- 6’(1.82m) long power cord.
- One year limited manufacturer warranty for pump
- Manufacturer recommends to clean the unit once a week and disassemble and clean the pump once a month.
- Indoor use only
PIONEER STAINLESS STEEL BIG MAX COMPONENTS:
Pioneer Big Max basically consists in three parts: the top, the pump housing and the bottom. The pump housing is a plastic case that contains the pump itself and the filter.
To assemble it, you have to line up the pump with the housing and the top part of the fountain, then put it all together. As the pump in located inside the housing at the bottom of the unit, it works underwater (inside the housing) and the cord comes right out the back of the unit.
HOW IT WORKS
Once the fountain is filled with water, the pump sucks the water which goes through the filter up to the top drinking part of the fountain. This circulation keeps the water in movement. Pets can drink from the top or the bottom of the fountain.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Pioneer Big Max Stainless Steel?
- Easy to clean
- Heavy stainless steel construction
- Stainless steel helps to stop bacteria formation.
- Quiet fountain, special for timid cats (it makes a humming noise if water level goes low, but not so noisy)
- Good capacity of 128 Oz.
- Easy to fill, just pouring water directly into the bowl.
- Water flow does not scare cats, is not a strong falling stream
- No big splashes
- Stainless steel is more hygienic than plastic and keeps the water cooler
- Two or more pets can drink easily at the same time
- Replaceable pump
- Nice design
- Dishwasher safe and parts fit easily in the machine (pump is not dishwasher safe)
- Easy to hand wash (no nooks or crannies)
- Suitable for cats with chin acne to plastic
- The cord detaches from the transformer
- After some time of using the fountain, maintenance is necessary more often.
- Pump is rather small for the size of the bowl, consequently water circulation is not strong.
- Not falling stream as a typical fountain
- Replacement pumps don’t last as long as the original.
- Getting all the holes of the parts (pump housing, bottom and top) lined up is tricky.
- Filters available only online
- Make sure to keep the fountain filled to within ½ inches from the top of the bowl.
- To ensure the operation of the fountain is crucial to clean it once a week and deeply cleaning it including pump about twice a month (more than recommended by manufacturer).
- It’s really important to keep in mind that if water level gets under the minimum amount or if the pump housing is clogged by pet hair, the pump will over heat and burn up.
- The unit is fairly quiet but if the top part of the fountain vibrates with the pump, just move the piece a little and it will stop.
- Replacement parts are available on Amazon (Jebao PP300LV Water Pump 40 GPH) or Pioneer Pet website.
If you are looking for a quiet fountain, the Big Max is almost silent in comparison to other fountains and quieter than Pioneer Raindrop version. The concept of the Pioneer Big Max is not really a “fountain” since it does not have falling stream but it has a circulating water system. This is a very good cat automatic drinking water bowl with some points to consider though:
- It will require frequent maintenance, especially if you intend to use it for more than one pet. This maintenance includes cleaning the fountain once a week and a deep cleaning, including pump, twice a month (though manufacturer recommends once a month). Weekly cleaning takes about 5/10 minutes and deep cleaning about 20/25 minutes.
- It requires frequent filter replacement depending on the usage.
- This fountain MUST keep the water level within ½ inches from the top of the bowl. If not, the pump won’t last very long. The water level and cleaning will determine the pump lifespan.
This fountain will help you keep your pet hydrated but if you don’t like to clean pet fountains often this unit won’t make you happy (keep in mind all fountains need to be cleaned often). You have to decide between the importance of your cat in drinking more water and the inconvenience for you to maintain the fountain . If you do a proper maintenance of this unit, it will work excellent for your cat. Considering Pros and Cons,
I recommend Pioneer Big Max as a very good choice for short haired cats and using the fountain not too close to the food bowl. Especially:
- If you want to use it at least for two cats (the fountain is big so this way you don’t waste so much water)
- If you are tired of the regular water bowl and want to reduce the daily pouring of water.
- If your cat does not play with the water or drink with its paws
- If you have time to clean this unit at least once a week and a deep washing, twice a month.
x I don’t recommend this fountain:
- For long hair pets.
- For only one cat (cleaning will make you waste too much water)
- Cats that use their paws or play with the water before drinking it
- If you don’t have time or don’t want to clean the fountain frequently.
- If you are thinking of using it for several days trips.
- If you want a fountain with falling stream
- Old cats that have always used a regular water bowl
- If you don’t want to buy filters or replace the pump in the future.
Why is it not recommended for cats with long hair?
Lorena Ávila says
Hello Krista, cats with long hair tend to leave more hair on the water clogging the pump more often. These recommendations are based to prevent future situations but if you are willing to clean the pump more often or brush youc cat often, it’s totally up to you. Hope that helps!
Why is it not recommended for Cats that use their paws ?
Lorena Ávila says
Hi Wessan I gave this recommendation because when cats play or touch the water too much they tend to leave more hair in the water and the pump of this automatic waterer gets clogged with cat’s hair. If a cat just drinks from it without touching the water the hair going into the water is much less. I just gave this recommendation assuming people don’t want to be cleaning the unit so often. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much
Lorena Ávila says
You’re welcome :-)
Just wondering about the pump input voltage. The US voltage is 110V 60Hz, we in Australia use 240V 50Hz. is the pump universal in input voltage and freq. The Australian importers are ripping us off blind so I wanted to buy through Amazon. I have 2 cats (Thor and Pheonix) whom will only drink from a tap…..
Lorena Ávila says
Hi Nick, you can send an em-mail to [email protected] and they will help you. Hope that helps!