I have tried various pet water fountains with my cat Sophie and she has enjoyed drinking from every single one of them. Due to my work on reviewing cat water fountains and other devices I make sure to use a unit for a while before making a review; this way I can offer an honest opinion about the product’s pros and cons. The Homerunpet water fountain is not an exception. I tried this fountain for a while with my cat before writing this article. So here’s my review.
My first impression of Homerunpet water fountain
The fountain came well protected in the box with foam and was nicely wrapped. I could tell that the fountain base, bucket, and top were made of high-quality plastic. The filter is very easy to put, it comes in a sort of cartridge that practically sits on top of the second lid and fits snugly on it. Every time you buy a filter you will get a new cartridge, which is more hygienic. One of the unique features I noticed is the fact that the pump comes wireless and works with a small pipe that goes inserted into it.
What comes in the box of the Homerunpet fountain
- 1 x Homerun water fountain (Base, water tank, second lid, top lid)
- 1 x Wireless pump (with a small foam filter)
- 1 x Pipe
- 1 x Filter
- 1 x AC plug adapter
- 1 x USB cord
- 1 x Quick setup guide
- 1 x Warranty card
- 1 x User Manual
- Fountain Capacity: 2 L (67 oz)
- Made of ABS quality plastic.
- Wireless pump
- Modes: Continuous and Intermittent (pumps every two minutes).
- Removable transparent water tank
- Slope of water surface allows pets to drink comfortably
- Ultra quiet operation (20<dB).
- Triple Filtration System
- Leakage-proof design
- Removable water tank makes it easier to refill and clean
- Dimension: 7.6” L x 7.6” W x 5.8” H (19.3 x 19.3 x 14.9 cm)
- Weight: 2.3 lbs (1.03 kg)
Key features & Benefits
- The triple filtration system efficiently filters out dirt, hair, and impurities. The first layer is Microporous cotton fabric that blocks hair, residues, and debris. The second layer is Coconut activated charcoal that removes odors, and the third layer Microporous cotton fabric improves taste.
- The slope on top re-circulates the water efficiently and allows your cat to drink in a position that won’t get his chin or whiskers wet.
- The Homperunpet fountain has a 68 oz water capacity, though has the ability to run with lower than 7 oz of water.
- Benefits of wireless pump: No extra pump cord in water enables effortless cleaning and improved water quality, it provides 24/7 fresh flowing water to entice cats to drink more, and it allows the ultra-quiet operation.
- ABS thermoplastic polymer has superior hardness, toughness, and gloss, and it is BPA-free (source).
How it works
The cat drinks fresh water from the top of the fountain where burbling water comes out. The pump works continuously for 24 hours or every two minutes with intermittent mode. The Homerunpet water fountain recirculates and filters the water efficiently with a triple filtering system. The water gets pumped up and goes through a small pipe that is attached to the pump to resurface as quiet burbling water. Then the water on the surface falls back into the tank getting filtered before reaching the water tank. Once in the water tank and when the water goes into the pump it gets filtered again through a small foam inserted in the side of the pump that also protects the pump.
The unique feature of this fountain is that the pump is wireless. This is the world’s first patented wireless water pump that is powered by magnetic induction. I think it’s important to mention that this unique technology won the iF Design Award 2022, so you know this product is unique.
The fountain features two modes, continuous and intermittent. The continuous mode works for 24 hours and the intermittent mode pumps water every two minutes. To switch to intermittent mode simply press the center button twice and a blue light will show.
Watch the Homerunpet Cat water Fountain in action
How to set it up
First, you need to wipe clean all the parts of the fountain. Then follow these steps:
1. Plug the tip connector to the power port located at the bottom of the base. Connect the USB port to the AC adapter.
2. Add water to the water tank up to the max line and put the tank back into the base
3. Insert the small pipe into the pump, keep the small sponge on the side of it, and place the pump in the water tank
4. Put the filter in the bottom lid and put the lid back on
5. Put the top lid
6. Plug the fountain.
7. Press the button to start.
Watch the Homerunpet Unpacking & Setup
How to clean the Homerunpet Water Fountain
To clean the fountain you need to disassemble all the parts and remove the filter from the second lid. If you don’t need to replace the filter, keep it aside on a clean surface. Wash the parts with cold water and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly making sure no soap residues are left in any part. The filter needs to be replaced every four to eight weeks. To clean the pump, remove the outlet pipe.
- Wireless pump – No pump cord makes it easier to clean and install.
- Ultra quiet – Wireless pump, plus the small water paths on the second lid that create small waterfalls that drop separately, make the fountain operation almost silent.
- Detachable water tank – Easy cleaning and water refill.
- Slope-shaped surface provides a much more comfortable posture for the cat to drink.
- It works with low water – No louder operation, no pump damage.
- Very easy to clean, no cords inside the water, less slime formation.
- A triple filtration system ensures very clean, fresh water.
- The cartridge-type filter makes it easier to replace and much more hygienic. With some fountains, the filter housing usually gets slimy because they are reused and only the removable filter inside is replaced.
- Burbling-type water doesn’t create many little splashes that could get on the cat’s face.
- Intermittent mode helps shy cats to adopt the fountain in case they are afraid of moving water in the beginning. This way you don’t have to turn the fountain on and off to make your cat drink, which is what I did on my Petlibro Stainless Steel review, though my cat is an exceptional case because she is very skittish :). The intermittent mode also helps you to save on energy.
- Switching between modes with their different lights could be a little confusing in the beginning.
- Hard to clean the small pipe on the inside.
- It’s not dishwasher safe.
The Homerunpet Cat Drinking Fountain is an excellent water fountain to keep your cat hydrated. I have used several types with my cat Sophie and she has drunk regularly from all of them. But I have to say she likes this one the best (together with the Petlibro Cloud water fountain). I am sure this is due to the fact that the slope surface on the Homerunpet fountain helps her to drink more comfortably without getting her chin or whiskers wet, which she hates. The filter type is one of the things I like the best because I can replace the whole cartridge instead of simply replacing the removable filter, which makes it really hygienic. I totally recommend this pet water fountain for any cat. The fact that you can return or replace this unit within 30 days, and that you have an 18-month warranty, says it all. Get this unique wireless pumped cat water fountain on Amazon and get 5% off.