When cats don’t drink enough water for whatever reason an automatic cat water fountain is a great solution. It provides the circulating water some cats love so much which increases the water consumption in felines.
I was contacted by Petlibro and they sent me this cat water fountain so I could test it with my cat Sophie and provide an in-depth review of it. I was surprised by the results. Here’s my full review.
What’s in the box:
1 x 74-Oz Capacity Water Tank (with the pump attached inside)
1 x Plastic water Tray
1 x Filter with the intake tube (detachable)
1 x Base
1 x USB Cable
1 x AC Power Adapter
1 x User Guide Kit
1 x A $10 gift card to buy a Petlibro Grooming brush on Amazon
1 x stickers
How it works
You fill the fountain with filtered water and then the pump located at the bottom pumps the water to the surface upon the water tray. When the water is being pumped it goes through a filter that filters the impurities, the water then goes through an intake tube up to the surface. The top water tray which is from where the cat drinks has small holes all along the edge where the water falls back down to the bottom. The result is water being filtered and fresh with constant re-circulation.
How to set up the Petlibro fountain
Setting this fountain up was really easy. All you need to do is 4 steps:
1. Put the filter in a bowl with clean water and soak it for 15 minutes (my filter came with the intake tube attached to it and I soaked it just like that, but then I removed it to soak it properly)
2. Plug the base of the fountain to an electric outlet. If you want the nightlight on slide the tiny switch located underneath the base.
3. Fill the base of the Petlibro fountain with filtered water up to the full line, no more. Make sure to wash the base, the water tray, and the lower tray before setting up the fountain.
4. Put the base filled with water on top of the base that is plugged in. The base has a sort of 3 connectors on the edge, similar to the battery connectors. These connectors need to be on the back when you put the fountain on top. After this, you will see the fountain working right away. A tiny green light at the bottom shows the fountain is working.
That’s all! Really easy to setup. I made a video of how I did it.
Unpacking and set up of Petlibro Cat Water Fountain
How to clean it
The Petlibro fountain doesn’t have complicated parts or anything like that. It’s actually very simple to wash. Just lift the fountain from the base, remove the water tray, the filter (with the intake tube attached), and the bottom tray and dump the water. Wash the bottom, the pump, and walls of the base deeply. To get the small areas between the pump and the surfaces I use a small toothbrush. Use mild soap and lukewarm water, rinse thoroughly. Fill the base with filtered water and put all the parts back together.
How to replace a new filter
You can buy 4 filters that come in a package for $16.99. Each filter lasts one month with one cat. This is how the package comes and how I replaced the filter. I forgot to mention that you must put the filter under running water after soaking it for 15 minutes.
Video how to replace a new filter
UPDATE: Petlibro changed the filter, making it even easier to replace. The top plastic part that holds the filter was replaced by a small plastic piece, so the filter on top is not totally covered by a plastic screen. With this new filter encasing system, the fountain works just as well as before, or even better. You will see how to remove and replace the inside filter in the following video:
Watch my cat drinking from the Petlibro water fountain for the first time
- The fountain is really easy to set up
- Good capacity of 74 Oz.
- The filter is thick and comes in a firm plastic housing that won’t move
- The pump at the bottom is secured with no electrical parts exposed to the water
- Practically silent. We have it in our bedroom and we can sleep, no problem
- It turns off automatically in case the water level is too low (avoids burning the pump).
- The fountain effectively pumps the water to the surface with the right amount (no huge bubbling water scaring a cat)
- Good fountain if you have a skittish cat (my cat Sophie is pretty skittish and she took to this fountain nicely, no problem)
- Very wide surface for cats that have whiskers sensitivity
- Easy to lift the fountain and put it back on the base
- It has a nightlight option for your cat to see the fountain in the darkness
- It comes with a $10 gift card to buy a grooming brush for your kitty
- The fountain water tray is plastic. I would’ve loved it to be made of ceramic or something like that.
- No battery backup (the top of the fountain still keeps some water on the surface when there’s a power outage).
If you want your cat to drink more water, the Petlibro water fountain delivers this promise. My cat Sophie never used a cat water fountain before, only drinking from water bowls. Now I can attest that her water intake increased BIG TIME with this fountain. I am thrilled with it. Also, the parts are smartly connected so the assembling is so easy it’s ridiculous. And the last but not least, the Petlibro water fountain doesn’t make any noise! It’s so silent that is sitting in our bedroom (Sophie only drinks from that area in the house, crazy kitty eh?) and we can sleep with it on, no problem. Considers that my hubby can’t sleep with the noise of a clock, that’s how silent the fountain is.
I highly recommend this water fountain if you have a cat that doesn’t drink much water. Go ahead and get it.
Remember that you can get a $10 gift card for you to buy a grooming brush for your kitty. See you!