Petsafe Drinkwell Sedona is a pet fountain designed with a modern and elegant look, with a water capacity of 100 oz and suitable for small and medium sized pets.
This pet fountain creates a constant water circulation that entices pets to drink more because cats tend to prefer moving water. The pump is submersible and keeps the water aerated and fresh which prevents bacteria growth.
Petsafe Sedona uses two filters to keep the water clean and fresh. The carbon filter keeps the water taste fresh and it’s made from organic coconut shells. The foam filter catches hair and debris from going into the pump.
Features of Sedona Cat Fountain
- Water Capacity of 100 Oz
- Moving water attracts pets to drink more and constant circulation and slows bacterial growth
- Modern and beautiful design
- Dual Filtration
- Whisper-quiet operation
- With a ceramic tower in the center and impact-resistant plastic bowl
- Top-shelf dishwasher safe (excluding the pump)
- Made from BPA free plastic
- Dimensions: 9.8” x 12.5” x 5.3”
- Weight: 4 pounds
How Drinkwell Sedona Works
The fountain consists of 9 parts: Bowl,Tower, Filter Housing, Rubber Grommet, Rubber Cap, Carbon Filter, Foam Filter, Pump, AC adapter. All parts need to be assembled.
The fountain is made from a clear acrylic type plastic. The bowl is curved and it has a ceramic tower in the center that covers the pump. The water is pumped up through the ceramic tower going through the carbon filter and out the top. The water comes out as a small bubble, although most of the water flows quietly down the sides. This ceramic piece in the center is removable and just sits on the bowl, similar to Petsafe Drinkwell Avalon and Pagoda cat fountain.
When the water level is low the pump starts making a gurgling sound which means it needs to be refilled. The pump has a removable in-line plug for easy plug removal.
The fountain does not feature an extra reservoir so in order to refill the fountain you just pour water on the bowl directly from a pitcher or similar or dump the existing water and refill with new water.
Video how PetSafe Drinkwell Sedona Fountain works
Cleaning & Maintenance
The fountain is dishwasher safe but it’s more recommended to hand wash the unit using the Drinkwell brush kit to deeply clean the fountain. This allows the cleaning of the pump and small parts easier. The ceramic part can be safely washed in the dishwasher but make sure to manipulate this piece very carefully so you don’t drop it.
To clean the transparent bowl is recommended to use a very soft material such as sponge because it gets easily scratched.
The fountain has two filters, the carbon and foam. The foam needs to be changed every one-two months, depending on the usage and it can be rinsed (only with water) to extend its lifespan. The carbon filter is recommended to change every 2-4 weeks, but they can last longer if using filtered or purified water. The fountain needs a deep cleaning every two weeks at least to prevent damage on the pump.
Pros & Cons of PetSafe Drinkwell Sedona water fountain
The following list of pros and cons will allow you to make a well informed decision regarding this electric fountain:
- Beautiful design (it looks like it would fit right in a mansion)
- The fountain is very quiet, it barely makes a sound (could be a “con” if you expect waterfall sound)
- Reduced splashing, good for cats that does not like to drink from waterfalls
- Power cord is long so it gives more freedom to place anywhere
- Good sealing, the water fountain does not leak anywhere
- The fountain is PA-free, including cord, pump, and filter housing
- Dual filtering keeps the water more clean
- Easy to see water level and fill, just pouring water to the bowl
- The ceramic tower is not attached to the fountain, an frisky cat could knock it over.
- Usable drinking area of the fountain is not very big.
- It does not really have a waterfall effect
- It does not have a reservoir so the bowl has to be filled at its resting location (can’t be filled in the sink unless to wash it)
- The ceramic tower is heavy and can break anytime (no replacement available).
- Plastic gets scratched easily and they show
- Assembling is not a breeze (Instructions use drawings instead pictures making a little hard to follow).
- The speed of the water flow is not adjustable (but it works for most cats).
- Water capacity is more like up to 70 Oz instead of 100 Oz. filled to a reasonable distance from the rim.
- It requires frequent cleaning and the fountain needs to be fully disassembled (as all automatic fountains)
- Replacement of carbon filters (common expense in water fountains)
- The bowl’s bottom does not have rubber feet (a quick fix: place a rubber mat)
Tips & tricks
- Rinse the carbon filter very well before use until water runs clear.
- Place the fountain away from the feeding area.
- Place some ice cubes to keep the water fresh and cool.
- Get the Drinkwell brush kit to wash the fountain, it will make cleaning easier for you.
- Check a video here how to assemble the unit and how it works with a cat drinking from the fountain.
The Petsafe Drinkwell Sedona Pet Fountain is quiet as advertised and looks beautiful. This version does not feature the waterfall effect, only the running water on the sides of the ceramic tower. Three points about this unit:
- The disassembling and assembling for cleaning could be a serious task if you are thinking of a water fountain that you can wash fast.
- This is not a water fountain to leave alone for several days.
- The cat will drink from this fountain whether licking the ceramic tower or directly from the bowl, if the cat drinks from the bowl will have a narrow space but it works.
Petsafe Sedona Pet Fountain is suitable:
- For cats that don’t tip things over
- For cats that don’t like splashes when drinking water
- If you have time and patience to clean the unit regularly
- If you give a top priority to the look and designer style
- If you are willing to buy the filters
x This water pet fountain may not be suitable:
- If you are a busy person
- If you don’t have patience to disassemble and assemble the unit to clean it
- For a strong playful cat that knock things over
- If you don’t want to spend money on filters
- If you want to leave the fountain unattended for a few days