The Petsafe Drinkwell Ceramic Avalon fountain with 70 Oz. water capacity has a very nice design and provides your pet fresh, oxygenated and filtered moving water, enticing your pet to drink more. This is especially important to prevent urinary diseases.
The fountain is very easy to clean and ceramic is excellent to keep the water fresh reducing bacteria and slime formation.
With its unique design with an upper and lower reservoir, your cat has two drinking areas where to choose from and its round shape allows your pet to drink from any angle.
- 70 Oz. water capacity
- Replaceable charcoal filter keeps the water fresh, eliminating bad taste and odors
- Foam pre-filter to protect the pump
- Unique design in ceramic is very easy to clean and more hygienic
- Nice design fits perfectly in your home
- Free falling stream circulates the water, adding oxygen and freshness
- Moving water entices pets to drink more
- Top and bottom drinking areas where pets can drink from
- It runs on a low-voltage 12V system
- Quiet and safer operation with submersible pump
- Dishwasher safe, excluding pump
- Product Dimensions: 12.2 x 12.2 x 8.3 inches
- Weight: 3.2 pounds
What are the components of the Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain?
√ Filter housing case (top and bottom)
√ Foam filter
√ Charcoal filter
√ Rubber cap
√ Rubber grommet
√ Inline plug
- Durable and well made unit
- Easy to setup
- Easy to disassemble and reassemble when cleaning
- Easy to carry on to the sink
- Easy to refill
- Charcoal filters to reduce bad taste and odors
- Filters are easy to replace
- Foam pre-filter to catch hair and particles.
- Very easy to clean, all parts come apart easily (including the pump) and not difficult-to-reach crevices or corners in order to scrub them. Easy to clean stains formed by hard water.
- Attractive design that looks very nice in the house (almost like a Zen fountain)
- The unit does not have sharp edges
- Encourages pets to drink more water
- Dishwasher safe (except the pump)
- It gives pets multiple drinking areas where to choose from
- Ceramic helps to stop bacteria and slime formation, the unit stays clean longer.
- Motor is quiet when the fountain is filled to the top (it makes water splashing noise though)
- Tested/approved by UL (independent safety testing Co).
- Detachable cord to unplug the fountain
- Good solution for cats with acne to plastic
- Small capacity in comparison to other fountains (70 Oz.) and no extra reservoir.
- Water splashes are rather noisy and louder if the water level goes low
- Some cats might get scared by the water splashes noises
- It is not 100% dishwasher safe.
- You have to replace two types of filters: charcoal filter every 2-4 weeks and foam pre-filter every 4-8 weeks.
- The fountain does not have adjustable flow speed (water flow is a little strong for kittens)
- Bottom drinking area is too narrow for a cat to drink comfortably
- Ceramic is fragile
- A little pricey
- It is a good idea to use mat underneath the fountain to make it quieter and to protect the floor.
- Some customers use their own bag of charcoal filters with this model.
- When cleaning the parts, leave them soaking in bleach or vinegar.
- Keep the fountain always full with water to make sure the pump does not run with low water and to minimize the water splash noise.
- This is a very good pet water fountain that works as advertised. This ceramic fountain is very easy to maintain clean, much more than plastic units.
- Though, it is a little loud, specially when the water level goes low. This fountain makes water splash noises so it might be a “pro” if you find this as a relaxing thing or this might not work for you if you don’t like noises.
- Some parts of the Drinkwell Avalon are plastic as the pump and the filter housing but still this is a good product for felines with acne to plastic as they don’t have direct contact with plastic.
- You have to make sure always keeping the fountain with clean filters because if you don’t you risk the pump to get damage. You have to clean it once a week and do a deep cleaning (taking the pump apart) once a month at least.
- The Drinkwell Avalon ceramic fountain it is more suitable for cats and small dogs since its capacity is 70 Oz. of water.
For these reasons and pros and Cons:
√ I recommend the Drinkwell Avalon Fountain to:
- Ideally for one or two cats
- Cats that like to drink moving water
- Cats that need to drink more water
- Felines with acne to plastic
- Pets that are not afraid of noises
- If the noise of water running relaxes you
- If you don’t mind to clean the unit periodically.
x I don’t recommend this to:
- Cats that don’t like noises at all
- If you have more than 2 pets that want to drink at the same time.
- If you want a very quiet unit
- If you don’t want to buy filters
- If you don’t want to clean the unit weekly
If you love this fountain but prefer a different shape, the Pagoda Ceramic Pet Fountain is technically the same as the Avalon fountain, but with rectangular shape instead.