Drinkwell Rectangle Multi Level Pet Fountain entices your cat to drink more with fresh free-falling water and two levels where your pet can drink.
The fountain allows your cat to drink fresh and circulating water filtered by a charcoal filter that removes bad tastes and odors.
The carbon filters are made of coconut shells which are put through a “carbonization” process, eliminating all elements other than carbon. This carbon gets “activated” by being oxygenated, absorbing contaminants or chlorine from water.
Drinkwell Multi Level fountain is suitable for multi-pet households because one pet can drink from the upper dish and the other from the bottom or from the free-falling water, at the same time.
The unit holds 100 Oz of filtered water and its free-falling stream adds oxygen to keep the water cool and fresh.
- Good capacity of 100 Oz fresh water
- Free-falling stream re-circulates water adding oxygen for coolness and freshness.
- Entices cats to drink more water, keeping them hydrated.
- Raised top drinking dish allows old cats or cats with disabilities to drink more comfortably.
- Ramp helps to contain stream and to reduce water noise.
- Activated carbon filter helps to eliminate bad tastes and odors.
- It features a submersible pump for safe and quiet operation.
- 12V low voltage submersible pump with inline plug for safe operation and easy removal.
- Low electricity consumption.
- No toxic, BPA-Free plastic
- The fountain is dishwasher safe (excluding pump).
- For Indoor use only.
HOW IT WORKS
The Drinkwell Multi-Level Plastic fountain comes with a carbon filter that is optional to use, but if you have hard water it’s recommended to use it.
First thing to do is remove the top dish of the fountain and slide the filter down in the back of the bottom tray*. Make sure you put the filter in the right position tight. Removing the top part is not an easy task for people with arthritis or any disability with their hands.
After that, fill the top and bottom dishes with water, plug the unit in and the fountain will start operating.
* Rinse the filter before placing it in the fountain.
What are the Pros and Cons of Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Drinking Fountain?
- Good water capacity of 100 Oz, it does not need reservoir.
- Waterfall stream entices cats to drink more water.
- Multi- level water dishes and free-falling stream offer more options for a cat or cats where to drink.
- Top elevated water bowl helps old cats or arthritic pets to drink more comfortably.
- The unit is easy to setup and operate.
- Easy to disassemble.
- The pump can be disassembled and cleaned inside.
- Easy to clean (using dishwasher machine),
- Quiet (not silent though, it has a little trickle sound and a slight hum),
- Easy to change the filter.
- Easy to refill, just adding water to the top dish.
- Carbon filter is easy to insert.
- One year warranty.
- The fountain is made from BPA- free plastic.
- It uses very little power consumption.
- Cord with in line plug for easy filling and removing pump.
- It gives the alternative of not using carbon filter.
- The unit is stable, cats cannot knock it over.
- The fountain is noisy when water level gets low or when the filter needs to be replaced.
- It needs to be cleaned often (as all water fountains).
- The motor usually gets noisy when the water level gets below approx. 3 cups.
- The fountain is made from plastic, which allows bacteria grow faster.
- Not good for cats with allergies to plastic.
- No color choices.
- To replace filters is expensive.
- The fountain is more suitable for cats than dogs.
- Big cats cannot drink from the bottom tray without exposing their heads to the falling stream.
- Hard to disassemble or assemble for people with disabilities.
- The bottom dish accumulates hair and dust.
- Unit’s design does not allow to be washed by hand, only by dishwasher machine.
- Hard to carry when the fountain needs to be cleaned and it is full of water.
- Make sure to install properly the filter, the black part has to face the pump and the taller side faces the back of the bottom tray.
- Keep the fountain full of water to ensure the proper operation of the pump.
- Change the filter every 2-4 weeks.
- Clean thoroughly the entire fountain, including the pump, at least every 2 weeks.
- If you don’t want to keep the fountain running all the time, you can get the timer Belkin Conserve Socket Outlet to turn the power On or Off according to your schedule.
- Removing the filter eliminates most of the humming noise but not recommended if you have hard water or if your pet has long hair. If you want a more silent pet fountain you can check the Hagen Catit Fountain that has a water circulating system without falling stream.
Drinkwell Multi Tier Pet Fountain accomplishes its main goal which is to offer circulating water to cats, making them drink more. However, some customers mention that the fountain makes noise when the water level gets low or when the filter needs replacement and this noise scares cats. Some cats like this fountain while others are completely indifferent to it.
As your goal is to make your cat to drink more water and you cannot afford a possible fail when purchasing a unit, I would not recommend this version as Drinkwell has much better plastic options with free-falling streams, such as the Drinkwell Platinum instead.