Here I share my experience using Laika Pets Aqua Cat Water Fountain. I have been using the Petlibro cat water fountain for my cat Sophie for a while now and I am very happy with it. But I wanted to try another good quality water fountain to make a review so I can offer my readers more options. I wanted a fountain that lasts longer as well. That’s why Laika Pets sent a sample for me to make this review, the new and super silent Aqua Pet Water Fountain.
My first impression
The Laika Aqua Pet Water Fountain came in a box with the main unit and all parts very well protected. No parts were loose or damaged and the distribution of the packaging was really well thought out.
The fountain is sturdy, you can see it’s well made with high-quality non-toxic materials. In the beginning, it was a little tricky to realize how to disassemble it, but once I figured it out, it was super easy.
Features of Laika Pets Fountain
- Ultra-quiet fountain (level noise under 29DB)
- Dual water cleaning action: carbon filter and UV germicidal lights, with a 99.9% sterilization rate.
- Filter with quadruple filtration system: double layer PP cotton, coconut shell activated carbon, and ion exchange resin.
- Replaceable pump
- Great capacity of 2.7L (91 Oz)
- Submersible pump with auto power-off protection
- Filter replacement light indicator
- Low water light indicator
- BPA-free premium plastic
What comes in the box
—Base and top
—Transparent water tank
—2 x filters
How it works
Laika Aqua pet water fountain creates water circulation that goes through a filter with 4 layers that ensures a deep cleaning. The filter consists of a top PP cotton preliminary filtration, coconut shell activated carbon that makes the fine filtration, then ion exchange resin for enhanced filtration, and bottom PP cotton for softened water quality. As a result, the filter removes chlorine and heavy metals, improves the water taste, and filters hair residue. Also, the fountain features an internal UV light that sterilizes the water, removing bacteria and other germs with a 99.9% sterilization rate.
The drinking area is rectangular. The water circulates nicely, coming out from a small groove on one side, and falling into a larger groove located on the other end. This water circulation doesn’t create a waterfall or bubbling water; the water circulates slowly and naturally.
Watch my cat drinking from the Laika Pets Aqua Drinking Fountain
The Fountain Lights
The UVC light is a germicidal light that removes germs from the water. This light is located underside the top cover. The fountain features two modes, the Eco Mode and the Normal Mode. During the Eco Mode, the UV light will have a break for a period of time repeatedly to save energy. To change between modes simply double-click the round button of the center. This same button allows you to reset the filter once you replace it, by pressing it for 3 seconds.
Laika Pets Aqua fountain also features a filter light, indicating when you need to change the filter. And there’s a water refill light, that indicates when the water level is low and you need to refill.
How to set it up
Laika Aqua Water Fountain is easy to set up. The first thing is cleaning the parts before use. Then peel off the transparent protector from the tiny mirror type decoration on top of the unit. Place the fountain on the floor, remove the top part and lift the water tank that is inside the base. Fill the water tank with filtered water and place it inside the base of the fountain. Put the top back on making sure to get the built-in plug inside the inner socket (as shown in the video). Finally, plug the inline connection to the AC adapter and plug it into the electric outlet, and the unit is ready for your cat to use.
Video of Unpacking & Set-Up
How to clean
It’s recommended a deep cleaning of the fountain once a week, using an eco-friendly detergent that is not corrosive and lukewarm water. Disassemble the pump for deep cleaning. If you live in a hot climate, it’s recommended to clean the fountain every 3 days.
- Very silent, you can’t even tell there’s a fountain.
- Sturdy, made of high-quality chemical-free materials
- No worries with the water going low, the light indicator will show when it’s time to refill.
- You won’t be guessing when was the last time you replaced the filter, the light indicator will tell you.
- A much healthier cat drinking water free of heavy metals and chlorine.
- The fountain is made of materials that are chemical-free, safer for your cat
- The fountain doesn’t have too many parts so it’s easy to clean
- The removable pump makes it easier to clean
- You can use the same fountain for a long time since the pump is replaceable (unique feature!)
- Great water capacity, your cat can drink for up to 7 days with no refills
- Safe, the internal electrical components are protected without contact with water whatsoever
- You can disassemble the pump for a deep clean
- It’s a little tricky to put the filter compartment’s lid back on
- The outlet hose can’t be removed to clean
- The great capacity of the fountain means you will need to refill 91Oz of filtered water every 7 days, or if it’s too hot, every 3 days.
- Due to the internal UV light, the plug gets hot
- A tiny mirror on top could deter skittish cats in the beginning
I have been using the Laika Aqua pet water fountain for a while now and I definitely recommend it. Not only due to its good quality but also to the fact that you can be sure you will use it for a long time since you can replace the pump once a year. My cat Sophie is a little skittish and in the beginning, she was a little afraid of the tiny mirror on the top cover, which is a decoration that makes the fountain look elegant. But she got over it quickly and started to drink normally. I definitely recommend this pet water fountain for:
- Cats that like slow circulating waters and are afraid of waterfalls or bubbling water. This fountain doesn’t create any splash.
- If you want to be able to replace the pump instead of buying a new unit.
Get the Laika Pets Ultra Quiet water Fountain with 2 filters and free shipping on Amazon:
I wouldn’t recommend it for:
- Cats that chew on cords.
- Placing the fountain inside a pet cage.
- Areas where the sun hits all day.
- Cats that like to drink from a free-falling stream.