Avg. rating online:
The Cat Mate C20 is a good solution to feed your cat moist and dry food. This automatic flip-lid type feeder is suitable to be used during the day if your pet eats 2 times a day and over the weekend if your cat eats once a day.
How the CatMate C20 works?
Unlike the Cat Mate C10 that features only one food tray, the Cat Mate C20 automatic feeder provides two food trays. The unit is designed to feed a single cat two meals (or feed two cats one meal). It has two compartments where food is kept fresh by ice packs underneath trays. It works with an analog mechanical timer on each lid to open at the set time, up to 48 hours later. You can fill each tray up to one pound of moist food (450 g).
Features of the CatMate C20
- Two compartments to feed one or two cats.
- Easy to program and operate
- It comes with ice packs to keep the food fresh.
- Up to 48 hours length feeding cycle.
- Requires 1 x AA/LR6 battery (not included).
- Dimensions are 3.8 x 16.2 x 13.8 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds.
VIDEO HOW TO SET UP THE CAT MATE C20 AUTOMATIC FEEDER
WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF THE CAT MATE C20?
By knowing the advantages and disadvantages of the Cat Mate C20 you can have a better idea if this unit will work for your cat(s):
- Capability to dispense cycles up to 48 hours.
- Designed with good quality materials.
- Simple design makes it easy to program and operate.
- Double compartment allows feeding your cat moist and dry food.
- The two trays give you the option to feed two cats one meal (or two meals if they eat together from the same tray).
- Ice packs keep moist food fresh.
- Battery’s compartment lacks tape to protect them from falling out.
- Trays can be pulled off by very smart cats.
- Timer is not accurate.
- Feeder doesn’t have a battery’s life indicator
- Some customers complain that the timer does not work.
TIPS PROVIDED BY CUSTOMERS FOR BETTER USE OF THIS FEEDER
- If you buy this feeder make sure to purchase extra ice packs and trays to back up next day.
- Tape the battery compartment to protect it (as shown in the picture).
- Get a battery tester to make sure the feeder won’t stop working.
- If your cat is very obsessed with food to avoid your cat to tip the feeder over you may want to attach the feeder to a wooden board.
- You can replace the ice pack by an ice bag in case you need a backup (as shown in the above video). You just need to adjust the position of the ice bag to make it fit, but it works fine.
The Cat Mate C20 is a good concept of an automatic feeder, easy to program and operate. I recommend it mainly for docile cats (cats that don’t try to break into devices when it comes to getting food).
Important point to consider: Keep in mind that 64% of customers are satisfied with the feeder, 12% are not very satisfied and 24% are very unsatisfied. The 24% of very unsatisfied customers complain that the feeder does not last very long (the motor just stops working) and that the timer is not accurate.
According to Pros, Cons and considering the 100% of customer reviews;
√ I recommend the Cat Mate C20:
- If your cat is not obsessed with food.
- If you feed your cat moist or dry food.
- If your pet eats twice a day.
- To use it over weekends if your cat eats once a day.
≅ I recommend this feeder for two cats under these conditions:
- If your cats can eat together from the same tray and if you feed your pets twice a day. This way, this feeder is a solution to feed two cats.
- If you want to use it in a different way, for example, leaving one compartment for each cat, they won’t open at the exact same time; one cat will be looking at how its “buddy” is eating.
- If you want to buy two feeders to resolve this, they won’t still open at the same time, because analog timers are not 100% accurate as digital times.
x Cat Mate C20 might not be suitable:
- For determined cats to get extra food or too smart cats because they will try to break into this unit to defeat it unless you protect the timers and you attach the device to a wooden board.
- For two cats that compete for food because they won’t be able to eat from the same slot.
- If you feed your pet 3 times by day.
- To be used for more than 2 days while away from home.
- If you want a very accurate timer (timer is not digital).
- If you want a build-to-last unit.