Wellness CORE grain free Fish & Fowl recipe for adult cats and kittens contains meat protein in the main 5 ingredients, providing a high protein source for the carnivore cat diet, using high quality, low-in-ash meats.
This formula does not contain grains or fillers which are harmful because they increase risk of obesity and diabetes in cats.
Wellness CORE grain free formula has guaranteed maximum levels of calcium and phosphorus. This means it reduces the risk of non-absorption of trace minerals like zinc and iron which could cause poor growth rates, skin lesions and low red blood cell levels in cats. AAFCO does not require any mention of calcium or phosphorus on a guaranteed analysis but Wellness CORE gives a step forward and it’s able to guarantee maximum levels which most pet food brands don’t mention.
This recipe offers a balance of botanical and nutritional supplements.
- Formula 100% Grain-Free
- Protein focused nutrition
- Meat on main 5 ingredients
- It does not contain by-products or fillers
- Recipe with a good package of antioxidants, omega fatty acids and probiotics
- Made with gluten-free ingredients
- Taurine for your cat’s heart health
IMPORTANT POINTS ABOUT HOW TO FEED YOUR CAT WITH WELLNESS CORE
- Wellness CORE has a good taste so your cat might want to eat more so keep an eye on your cat in the beginning to see how much your cat eats and adjust the portions.
- It’s very important to give your cat plenty of water during a diet with Wellness CORE formula and make sure your cat has access to a fresh and clean source of water all day.
- Also, it is important to make the transition to the new food gradually within 7 days, increasing Wellness CORE food slowly until giving your cat 100% of Wellness CORE by day 7.
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Herring Meal, Peas, Turkey Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin],Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract. This is a naturally preserved product.
Crude Protein Not Less Than 45.0%, Crude Fat Not Less Than 18.0%, Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.0%, Moisture Not More Than 11.0%, Calcium Not More Than 1.8%, Phosphorus Not More Than 1.45%, Magnesium Not More Than 0.13%, Vitamin E Not Less Than 200 IU/kg, Taurine Not Less Than 0.2%, Omega 6 Fatty Acids Not Less Than 3.50 %, Omega 3 Fatty Acids Not Less Than 0.80 %, Beta-Carotene Not Less Than 2 mg/kg, Total Lactic Acid Microorganisms Not Less Than 90,000,000 CFU/lb. (Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus in equal amounts).
ANALYSIS OF FIRST 5 INGREDIENTS OF WELLNESS CORE FISH & FOWL
Deboned Turkey: Muscles add water to the weight. Not as high protein level as chicken. 3 stars.
Deboned Chicken: Chicken muscles add water to the formula, less protein than chicken meal but still good source of proteins. 3 stars
Chicken Meal: High concentrated protein, water has been extracted. Excellent source of proteins for cats. 5 stars
Whitefish Meal: Good option to regular meats in concentrated form to add proteins. Some oils may have been extracted when pressed out of fish. 4 stars
Herring Meal: Excellent source of proteins for cats. Low fatty acids as they get extracted when making the meal. 4 stars
- 100% Grain free formula and gluten-free ingredients
- Made with meat protein sources in main 5 ingredients
- It contains a balanced package of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- It contains probiotics to enhance digestive tract
- Healthy fats to improve skin and coat (salmon oil and Flax seed)
- It does not contain by-products, wheat, corn, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Cats need to eat less food because it’s more dense in proteins
- Small, round crunchy kibble easy for cats to eat
- Packaged in a re-sealable (zip-lock) bag for maintaining freshness.
- Less solid waste and less smelly
- GMO free ingredients
- It informs some of the 11 essential aminoacids cats need in food analysis.
- The 8th ingredient are potatoes and potatoes cause peaks in blood sugar levels (though it has a low amount in the total recipe).
- 9th ingredient is chicken fat. This might not be good for inactive cats.
- The bag’s plastic seal is hard to re-seal
- Strong fishy odor that might bother some people
- Kibble breaks down a little and accumulate powder on the bottom of the bag
Wellness CORE grain free formula has changed the recipe in the last years, but it still offers a good source of meat proteins in the main 5 ingredients. The recipe contains low-in-ash meats, a good balance of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats and botanical. The average rate for this cat food based on its 3 first ingredients is 3.6 stars.
- As this food is more meat concentrated, cats need to eat less to feel satisfied so the more expensive price pays off by making the cat food bag last longer.
- Very Important: It is very important to make your cat drink a lot of water while in a high concentrated protein dry cat food because if your cat does not get enough water, your pet may develop urinary crystals. Also, it needs to be mixed with canned wet food. Cats in the wild eat lots of proteins but also get water with the pray.
The formula contains taurine which is a very important aminoacid. Wellness Core has a high percentage of proteins in the formula and it’s a very good cat food for a maintenance diet. However, it only informs 1 of 11 essential aminoacids cats need in food analysis (taurine) and just for this fact Wellness Core is not listed on top of my list.