Littermaid LM680C Review
Star rating: 3 | The LitterMaid LM680C Classic litter box cleans your cat’s litter box automatically featuring a rake that rakes the litter, pushing the clumps into a waste compartment that contains a carbon filter to reduce odors.
The unit can be used for one or multiple cats but it’s more suitable to use with one single cat. This automatic litter box helps in keeping the litter box clean, reducing the scooping in comparison to a regular litter box.
- Automatically collects and contains cat waste in a sealed compartment, reducing odors
- Detachable rake for easy cleaning
- Suitable to use with a single cat or cats weighing less than 15 lbs.
- Comes with waste receptacles easy to dispose
- The high wall helps to contain spilled litter
- The ramp helps reducing litter tracking
- It works the best with premium clumping cat litter
- Dimensions: 16.5″ W x 22.25″ L x x 8.75″ H
- Litter Pan Area: Length from the comb (rounded forward area) to the front side of the box measures 12.5″. The width measures 13.75″
- Item Weight: 13.1 lbs
THIS COMBO COMES WITH:
√ 1 Littermaid(R) LM680C main unit
√ 8 Plastic Waste Receptacles
√ 8 Carbon Filters
√ 1 Carpeted Ramp
√ 1 AC Adapter
√ Back-up battery compartment
Note: The Littermaid LM580 is the same unit as the Littermaid LM680C. The difference is that the LM580 comes with 4 plastic waste receptacles, 4 carbon filters, and no ramp.
HOW THE LITTERMAID LM680C CLASSIC WORKS
After your cat does its business and leaves the LitterMaid LM680C a dual motion sensor activates 10 minutes after your cat leaves the litter box. An automatic comb starts raking the litter to scoop and remove the clumps into a waste compartment that contains a carbon filter to keep odors under control.
The waste compartment opens as the combs move forward next to it to receive the dropped cat’s waste and automatically closes as the comb goes back into position.
With the LitterMaid LM680C, you can do manual cleanings as needed by pushing a button. The automatic comb is removable so it’s easier to clean.
- It scoops the clumps automatically and drops them into a waste container
- It considerably reduces the scooping in comparison to a regular litter box
- It holds cat waste for up to 3-4 days with one cat
- High sides to contain litter
- It helps to reduce litter box odors
- It’s more suitable for small to medium size cats (check inside dimensions)
- The unit still needs supervision often, scraping and scooping if needed.
- Some cats may turn the power off if stepping on the button
- There is a gap between the bottom of the comb and the floor of the box, leaving cat waste behind when raking so you need to periodically scrape the pan.
- Some male cats tend to urinate on the rake of the litter box creating malfunction
- The unit doesn’t automatically get powered in case of a power outage, it needs to be turned on.
- A little noisy
- The motor is not very strong for long-term use.
- You need to buy plastic waste receptacles and disposal liners (you can work around the liners by using grocery bags).
- It needs premium clumping litter to work well.
- Some feces might get stuck in between the prongs of the rake.
TIPS & TRICKS
- If you want to make the waste receptacles last longer you can use grocery plastic bags.
- It’s recommended to use premium clumping cat litter for better performance.
- Make sure to read the instructions carefully on how to attach the lid of the waste compartment to the litter box, this way the clumps and litter won’t fall off the litter box, creating a mess.
- Don’t overfill the litter box, always keep the litter level on the full line. If you put too much litter it will make the motor work harder and also will make the rake move back and ford without completing a full cycle.
- Some customers spray the bottom of the litter pan with Pam cooking spray or any other non-stick spray to reduce litter from getting suck on the bottom.
- Make sure to place the LitterMaid away from your bedroom because it’s a little noisy, or you can turn it off before going to sleep.
- You can use BAG-it & PERMA-lid to avoid buying plastic waste receptacles.
LitterMaid LM680C automatic litter box is not the “set-and-forget” system like other automatic litter boxes but this unit will help you to keep your cat litter box clean much easier than a regular litter box.
This machine still needs maintenance, almost daily supervision, and some scooping (especially behind the rake) but much less than a traditional litter box. This maintenance could be on a daily basis, depending on where your cat gets used to doing its business.
This particular version is more suitable for a single cat or 2 small-sized cats. The litter used must be premium clumping for better operation of the machine.
All in all the LitterMaid LM680C is a good automatic litter box that will help you reduce the scooping and scraping of a traditional litter box, considering this is a unit I believe may last between 6 months and one year with continued use and with daily maintenance.
If you want help in keeping your cat litter box clean and you don’t mind a little maintenance, this is your self-cleaning litter box. If you want a set and forget option, you may want to look for other options.
Leave a Reply